ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOS my discus is dying

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

Exclamation SOS my discus is dying

Please escuse my english as it is not my mothertongue but i’m in desesperate need of help

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

The discus start to get skinnier since a month. Today he refuses to eat and lay down on a corner of the aquarium.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

The fish has some kind of a really small white fungus on his pectoral fins and he’s very skinny.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    None medication but as of today he’s in a quarantine tank but its a 5 gallons (my usual quarantine tank have 1 month fry in it)

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    Tank has 2 years, its 200 gallons system, there’s 7 discus between 12 and 17 centimeters, 40 cardinalis tetra, 7 corydora sterbai et 3 ramirezi

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    35% once or two per weeks

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    It has been running for 2 years, with a thin layer of sand and some anubias

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    water is store 24 hours before, it’s 100% reverse osmosis + salt preis. I use a small pump to mix the salt and heat it before

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    None

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 83,5 F

- ph 6

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 1 to 5

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water 100%

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    Last thing added was plants, about 4 month ago

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    I feed them tetra prime with discus pellet from ocean nutrition and a mix of frozen food ( shrimps, mussel, brine shrimps… etc

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

In his very small quarantine tank now:
    https://youtu.be/EFgAHWH4Z68
    https://youtu.be/ZfcSuEAPmbE

Thank you for your help, i'm desperate.
    Last edited by Arnaud612; 04-30-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Default Re: SOS my discus is dying

It looks to me like it's suffering from Heximita. Can you show a pic of the whole community tank so we can take a look at the other Discus? I don't understand how one fish can be in such bad shape if the others are doing well.

It doesn't look good for that fish at the moment but we will help you if we can.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

Hello,

Thank you so much for your help. Well i don't understand neither The other are sleeping behind a rock as the light is out but there is the couple.
    thumbnail_Image.jpg

I also notice a red spot under his eyes and some white fungus on his fins :
    https://youtu.be/PCvBGoCQUdg
    Last edited by Arnaud612; 04-30-2020 at 07:52 PM.

The other fish look good. Someone more knowledgeable will see this thread and perhaps have a suggestion. I'm very sorry I couldn't offer help.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

I appreciate the help

Did you see the last video? I was thinking about rotten fin perhaps?

I just looked at it. It needs furan II as well as metro. I don't know if you can treat with both at the same time.

I'm sorry but your fish is pretty far gone. It may be a waste of money buying meds to try to get it well again. It pains my heart that I haven't been able to give you hope.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

Thank you... I don't have it and It's 4am here in France. Would you think esha2000 would work?it's the only thing i have right now.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Arnaud, I am sorry to tell you but the condition of the tail and other fins suggest the fish is dying. I do not think there is any thing you can do. If you want to try Furan 2 then give it a try and report back.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

I see you have esha2000 Arnaud. Do you know what it in it?
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

Okay, i understand but i want to try. I never lost a fish before... I don't have furan II nor can i have it before tomorrow. I will try esha 2000. Thank you both from the bottom of the heart. Any idea what is his sickeness ? And do i have to worried for the other fish?

Real Name
    Pat

Maybe age related Arnaud? It's condition suggests it has been struggling for a while. How do all the other fish look? Also are they eating well with dark poop?
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

I think esha2000 is the european equivalent of furan 2. The waste of the others were white for a day or 2 then, i stop brin shrimp and it come back as normal. They are very active so i don't know. I notice them maybe one or two time scatch themselves against the plant but no other symptom. one of them had some white on his skin but it went away after a day or two. Other than that they are ferocious eater and my couple breed every week.
    Last edited by Arnaud612; 04-30-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

Esha 2000 have some ethacridini lactas, cuprum, methylorange and proflavinae. Don't know if its help

It was actually skinny for a while but that's the only symptom. Today it went bad very very fast.They all have the same age. Could it be something in the water that only affect him because it was the weakest?
    Last edited by Arnaud612; 04-30-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Arnaud612 View Post
    Esha 2000 have some ethacridini lactas, cuprum, methylorange and proflavinae. Don't know if its help

It was actually skinny for a while but that's the only symptom. Today it went bad very very fast.They all have the same age. Could it be something in the water that only affect him because it was the weakest?
    Furan 2 has nitrofurazone + furazolidone + methylene blue which are antibiotics.

Proflavinae might be a antibiotic and I think cuprum is copper.

Being the weakest fish does is not a good place to be. Perhaps the stress got it? Really sorry
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

Yes it is copper Thank you Pat, really . I have methylene blue, should i add it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast