AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SOS my discus is dying

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

Default Re: SOS my discus is dying

Is condition, although bad, is stable since 12 hours. So i just want to try everything i can

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Arnaud612 View Post
    Yes it is copper Thank you Pat, really . I have methylene blue, should i add it?
    I do not think methylene blue will do anything but I do not really know.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

It may be too late for this poor guy, but maybe not. Let's review a few things first and don't use the copper medication yet...

You are using 100% RO water. Is there a specific reason for this?

You are reconstituting your RO water with Salt Preis. I'm I correct in assuming this is not actually Preis Sea Salt (their salt water product), but the Preis Discus Minerals?

I would make your water changes to at least twice per weekly.

Does your tap water contain chloramines? Chloramines are not removed through the RO process, although many say they are, but it's for drinking water standards and not fish keeping standards.

I would place this fish in a small hospital tank and give it some good clean water and observe it. I would then raise the temperature to 86 and observe it for one day, then raise the temp to 89 and observe again. If I'm correct about the minerals you use, then you may want to add about 2 tablespoons of regular salt per 10 gallons of water.

Then, let us know how it is acting...

Brian is having you go with the gentlest type of medication (table salt) first. If the fish isn't strong enough to handle this gentle medication it would not survive treatment with strong antibiotics. I trust his judgment.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

True, first I want a better understanding of the tank before using meds. Why RO water and exactly what is being used to reconstitute the water. Is RO water even necessary. I searched for "salt preis" and it leads to a product for reef tanks. But if you go to the Preis website, they show a variety of products including Discus Minerals, which is sodium free. If this is correct, then 2 tbs salt is very mild. If this is incorrect, then I would add no salt at all. Copper is for external parasites and I don't see that being an issue.

I would also see if you can pick up a slightly larger tank. 5 gallons is quite small and the water can foul quickly. During the hospital time, I would increase water changes to 50% or more per day in at least a 10g or preferably a 20g tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12