AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "55g with 1x per wk WC, Discus stock levels can be 15 to 18 adults"

Registered Member

Default Re: "55g with 1x per wk WC, Discus stock levels can be 15 to 18 adults"

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    He is not growing out Discus only stocking before selling. Breeder and importer that
    advertised since back in the 80s in fish magazines long before internet. I received(e-mail)
    at one time by mistake that his Discus shipment was
    delayed from an Asian fish supplier.

Cliff
    Nope. I sent him an email for clarification -- my question and his answer:

Regarding this statement in your blog:

55-gallons with once per week water changes Discus fish stock levels can be 15 to 18 adults

Are you saying you can keep 15 fish of 6"+ in a 55 gallon indefinitely...provided you do a 50% weekly water change? You don't consider that overcrowding?

His answer:

Yes and no to your two questions

Real Name
    Tom

Well I guess the only thing left to do is see if he guarantees the fish will live and for how long?

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Well I guess the only thing left to do is see if he guarantees the fish will live and for how long?
    Retailers like him will guarantee live arrival. They often require a pic of the dead fish in the bag. He can say what you can do with the fish you buy from him, but if they get sick after two weeks it's your fault.

Advice like this is not what newbies need to here. It pisses me off no end. I need to stop now, do WC and mellow out.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Advice like this is not what newbies need to here. It pisses me off no end. I need to stop now, do WC and mellow out.
    Love the Mama Bear in you Liz...it's protective of people and animals!

Registered Member

I went to Jack watley discus and The owner basically said 5 discus in a 55 he said you could do the absolute Max of 6, but you're going to have to do more maintenance.... that sounds more reasonable to me

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ocellaris View Post
    I went to Jack watley discus and The owner basically said 5 discus in a 55 he said you could do the absolute Max of 6, but you're going to have to do more maintenance.... that sounds more reasonable to me
    Jack built a reputable company through hard work and honesty .
    He had passion for breeding and a hobbyist view point from the beginning .
    That in my opinion is how true success is achieved .
    Some people just sell others fish .They are horse traders and a dime a dozen in my opinion .Sure there are thoroughbreds out there but they are not usually in the average owners price range ...
    They can never sell better then they get and they have absolutely no influence on what they get .They also sell every one they get .Suppliers never cull.
    Breeders breed better fish ,suppliers just sell others fish . It is hit and miss for them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Frank

10 gal per adult discus is the general rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocellaris View Post

Registered Member

In Mac's defense, if you read through the rest of his blog posts, they are mostly spot on.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

I am doing daily WC of 80% on my 210 discus tank with 19 adult discus. If I skip one day not having change the water, I can tell my discus behaviour differently (in the not so happy way).

Also WC is the cheapest medicine to keep discus healthy and happy. In return they will slow you their best colour and body shape. So why not !!!

Discus12.jpg

Real Name
    Daniel

Eugene every time you post pictures of the group you raised from babies I start to drool like a maniac!

Registered Member

Honestly, who has time to do an 80% on a 210 daily? How long does this take? Is it an automated system?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Eugene every time you post pictures of the group you raised from babies I start to drool like a maniac!
    Thank you Daniel

I just want to let any people who want to get into the discus keeping hobby to know that keeping happy beautiful discus is not that different and totally mission possible as long as to do your homework.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    Honestly, who has time to do an 80% on a 210 daily? How long does this take? Is it an automated system?
    I have water storage that can hold 160 gal of water overnight for the WC. And I have a water pump that can pump out 160 gal of water from the fish tank in about 15 mins. During that 15 mins, I will wipe down the glass of the tank and suck out all the poop as well. Another 15 mins to fill up the fish tank. In 35 mins, everything done and pack away

FYI: When I raise them up when they are babies in the 70 gal, I did 2X 90% daily WC. That is the time I tell myself I have to come up with something to make myself easy on doing WC.

Real Name
    Daniel

I use a transfer pump as well...2 x 125 gal tanks w 50% out and in, 1 hour max.

Oxboy it already sounds like perhaps you're already cramped for time...if you really don't have time for large frequent water changes then perhaps discus aren't for you? Not being critical at all, but being realistic. When discus get sick through poor water quality it is heart breaking, and then time/finance consuming to try to save them. There's a few crew here that have successfully navigated a more minimalistic approach to discus maintenance, but many have succumbed to discus nightmares d/t not being able or willing (time/finance/additional equip purchases) to maintain good water quality consistently. They're reasonably expensive fish if you buy quality, so just think it through fully before you move on it. Success will minimalism is not the norm.

I ended up selling my beautiful discus because I couldn't give them what they needed...
    Peace

I have an inline pump for putting in water. I actually have 2 250 gallon water storage tanks to age my tap because I used to have a full fish room. I have 2 55 gallon drums for RO for pairs. I use the RO for my Ram breeders as well. Right now it is more than I need, too.

I used to use a pricey in line pump for draining and vacuuming but since I killed it, I drain by gravity. It's fast enough because it's all down hill.

I read around here back in 2001 and learned what was necessary to keep the fish happy and healthy. When I plumbed my fish rooms I knew how to change all that water without killing myself. If you have to kill yourself to get something neccessary done, you don't do it religiously and eventually the fish get sick.

I agree with you, Danny. Eugene's fish are always beautiful. Maintence is the way he accomplishes it.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast