AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Herbicidals 240 gallon with 3D background

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Herbicidals 240 gallon with 3D background

I like the manzanita and wish I could find wood like that in NY !
    The red is my favorite . What a great halo ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I like the manzanita and wish I could find wood like that in NY !
    The red is my favorite . What a great halo ..
    Thanks coralbandit! I'm very fortunate to have access to this gorgeous hardwood. Agreed, that red does have a great halo! A nice contrast to the others. Also a favorite of mine.

OMG I want to steal your RC Blue Halo'ed beauty... and LOVE you tank. I just put led strip lights on literally 10 mins ago and love them
    -Elliot

Thank you pastry! That is one of my favorites. LED lights have come a long ways for sure! If you have one that can change colors, it is interesting to see the changes on the Discus. The strip LED's can also help enhance an existing light.

Here are two full length tank pictures. The first is from an earlier complete makeover (January this year) where I took everything out, plants (fake) and all the old manzanita branches. All the new branches have been trimmed and power washed. Now they are floating while waiting for them to waterlog and sink:

This one was taken about three weeks later in February. Wood has sunk and added some new plants for some green. I also have about a dozen or so dither fish made up of Silver Tip Tetras and Rummy Nose Tetras. About a half dozen different Corys roam the tank bottom as well:

I also bought a new phone with a better camera. Still learning how to use it. Later pictures are better in my opinion. More to come!

A few more "hardware" pictures before moving on to more of my Discus.

I have three aging barrels set up near the front door of our home off to one side. Each has an airstone and 300 watt heater. Typically I age the water from 4-6 days. Water temp is set to between 83 and 85 degrees. To minimize the eyesore, my wife bought a tan, microfiber blanket that I drape over the top and wrap around the sides. They practically disappear!

I use a pond pump and an aquarium dedicated 50' RV water hose to pump the water out of the aquarium and then to pump the water out of the aging barrels back into the aquarium. No hauling water buckets here!

I now have free floating bio balls in the main chamber of the sump. I have not yet looked into better alternatives, though some have been recommended. However, I do have a circulation pump in the bottom front left angled up towards the surface. I've moved some of the bio balls into other chambers and now the pump pushes them around in a counter-clockwise direction. Previously I had them contained in two mesh bags and they became traps for detritus. Now they are no longer stagnant and instead, tumble and move around constantly. I feel this is a big improvement in the cleanliness of the sump and better action and water flow through and around the bio balls.

The jumble above the sump. I added a few plastic pieces to help reduce the humidity inside the stand. These and the vents at each end have done the trick! There is also a UV light and each return to the sump has a ball valve that I twist close during water changes. There is a 3' LED shop light suspended under the stand so I can see what the heck I'm doing!

And lastly, inside the canopy. The main LED light and the LED rope light. The water hose with pump attached is inside the aquarium for a water change:

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Looking good!
    Wishing I had a spot to keep aged water, that pump must really speed up the water changes.

Thanks Thingsarefun! It really makes the water change process so much easier.

Here are some pictures of most of the group. I have a total of 12 Discus in here. With a full range of personalities!

If you look closely, there are eggs on the horizontal branch. The large checkerboard is the dad and mom is looking at the eggs and has her tail towards the camera:

That pair has been something else! I've lost count of how many time they've laid eggs in the last couple of months. Unfortunately, soon after they hatch they are eaten. I just don't have a place or the time to give them their own room.

Mom and dad watching over the eggs:

Dad with the fry from a different batch:

Real Name
    Shan

Looks fantastic@!
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Thank you Shan.

Taking a few minutes to add some pictures.

Not the biggest Discus in the aquarium but possibly the bossiest!

Forrest Giant Blue (f):

Feeding Al's freeze dried blackworms. Very firm push to the glass so they stick. The Discus LOVE them!

And last but not least:

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Very nice mate...stunning looking fish & tank!

Real Name
    Brian

I've been very busy and haven't had much forum time recently so I try to get caught up when I can. This is a really nice thread!

I have a lot of remodeling still to do and somewhere in my mind is to incorporate a large tank into the decor. I've never used a sump but I want one... I know the basic concept and benefits, but I haven't had time to research. The detail you are providing is excellent and makes sense!

Thank you Danotaylor and Jeep! I appreciate your compliments.

A recent night time picture with only the LED strip light. This is their morning and going to bed light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast