AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Albino Corydora with bloodshot face - help diagnosing

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

Default Albino Corydora with bloodshot face - help diagnosing

I'm wondering if this should be a concern - he has been like this for about 4 weeks. And I cannot find any other threads or pictures of a similar symptom on the internet. I have a new albino Cory (quarentined for 2 weeks before added to the main tank) who has no symptoms
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    Bloodshot face, red gill, rapid breathing. Perhaps medications used or ammonia spike 4 weeks ago. Not lathargic, eating fine, poops seem normal, goes up for a breath of air every 10 minutes

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds). Only symptoms are bloodshot face, rapid breathing and red gills

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    I had to treat for parasites so I did Wormer plus as recommended, then Prazi/levamisole, Metro treatments as recommended. Had one ammonia spike.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    Hospital tank was 20 gallon with 2 rams and 10 tetras all small fish

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    tank was not cycled so I had to do a 75% WC daily, new water came from my cycled tank filtered so no parasites were transfered

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Bare bottom hospital tank, running for 6 weeks, the main tank has gravel substrate which is not ideal for his gills but it was advertised as sand when I purchased it

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I use R/O water with macro and micro nutrients for the planted tank which is cycled. Then filter that water into the hospital tank so its alive, healthy and clean water for the sick fish.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?Nilocg

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 86

- ph 6.8

- ammonia reading 0.25 before I do a WC

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading .5 after I do a water change

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water 0

- municipal water 10% (aged)____

- RO water 90% with ferts for snails and plants in main tank

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    TetraPro tropical crisps and Aqueon Shrimp pellets. beef heart flakes and blood worms on occasion.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Last edited by Red.Aceco; 05-04-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

Default Re: Albino Corydora with bloodshot face - help diagnosing

47 views but no replies? Anyone?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Default Re: Albino Corydora with bloodshot face - help diagnosing

This is not my strong suit but the symptoms are c/w ammonia toxicity and you indicate that you are getting a reading of 0.25 prior to each water change. Are you adding anything to neutralize the ammonia? Consider prime every 24 hours if not. Also have you tested your new water post RO for ammonia? If your carbon filter is nearing end if life then your RO unit will not remove all the chloramine.