AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: potassium permanganate

Registered Member

Default potassium permanganate

How many treatments can one do using potassium permanganate until it gets to much for the fish. I have done 2 treatments spaced 4 days apart and only a very slight improvement is noticed. Thanks for any replies.

Default Re: potassium permanganate

If you treated correctly my guess is the problem with the fish is not external parasites.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    How many treatments can one do using potassium permanganate until it gets to much for the fish. I have done 2 treatments spaced 4 days apart and only a very slight improvement is noticed. Thanks for any replies.
    What ppm of PP are you using and for how long? What are you treating for? Did you make a stock solution?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thank u for the replies. I used 1.25 grams for my 50 gal. and left it for 4 hours then did a 85 % water change this was done twice with 8 discus in the tank. The tank turned the right colour and then about 2 hours later turned brown, very little change was noticed. I am sure this is quill flukes because it goes from not bad to very bad in the gills some in both gills and some in one gill the fish are all eating well and the water is very clear. It is definitely in the gills on one fish it looks like a ragged sheet.

Real Name
    Francis

After 2 hours later the water turned brown, did you add more Potassium Permanganate to fulfill the 4 hours treatment ?

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    Thank u for the replies. I used 1.25 grams for my 50 gal. and left it for 4 hours then did a 85 % water change this was done twice with 8 discus in the tank. The tank turned the right colour and then about 2 hours later turned brown, very little change was noticed. I am sure this is quill flukes because it goes from not bad to very bad in the gills some in both gills and some in one gill the fish are all eating well and the water is very clear. It is definitely in the gills on one fish it looks like a ragged sheet.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Did you wipe the tank out and make sure that it was very clean before you treated? No plants or substrate? If you water turned brown that fast it was finding other organics to eat.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

It was done in a bare bottem tank, the only thing that was left in the tank was the heater and sponge filter. before I did the treatment I did not wipe down the tank or clean it. When the water turned brown I did not add more pot perm. I did not realize one was to keep the tank purple for the full 4 hours. I noticed for the first 20 min. it stressed the fish but after they seemed okay I even fed them a bit and they ate good. I suppose that was also wrong to do. I noticed the next day the tank was full of floating particles and the glass was very dirty I has to clean the glass and add a aqua clear filter. thanks so much for the replies please keep sending more thank u

Real Name
    Pat

Hi springer, what exactly are you seeing with the gills? Can you provide a video (upload video to youtube and add the link here). If you are seeing clear looking gill filaments outside the gill cover PP will not fix that. In fact PP can cause permanent damage to the gills. Do you target 2 ppm PP for this last treatment? The reason for all the questions is PP is very easy to overdo and it can really harm the fish.

Back in my early days with discus I used PP. I was lucky that the old forum BIDKA had a PDF file on now to make a stock solution and instructions on using PP and how to measure the exact ppm to treat fish. The recommended dosage is 2 ppm for four hours. As Liz mentioned you do a large water change and tank wipe down before the treatment (nothing in the tank except filter and heater). This is to remove organics in the water. During the you may need to add small amounts of PP to maintain the purple color.

I created a thread on PP instruction from the BIDKA PP PDF http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...te-(PP)-How-To you might find useful.
    Pat

Registered Member

Thank u very much second hand pat and all the others. I will be doing a treatment on my 100 gal tomorrow and yes I will clean the tank good before adding the pp. What I am going to use is 2.5 grams of pp for the 100 gal. I also will add if the water changes to brown some to keep it purple.

Registered Member

Question for u second hand pat if u read this. To neutralize the pp it is 5 mils per how many gallons. Also when u make a stock solution u mean 7.5 grams and not 75. Thank u

Real Name
    Tom

75 grams for 1,000 ml
    7.5 for 100ml.
    With this formula for the stock solution 1 drop per gallon equals 1ppm so most add 2 drops per gallon to get 2ppm .
    1 ml H202 per Gallon of tank water will neutralize the PP.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    75 grams for 1,000 ml
    7.5 for 100ml.
    With this formula for the stock solution 1 drop per gallon equals 1ppm so most add 2 drops per gallon to get 2ppm .
    1 ml H202 per Gallon of tank water will neutralize the PP.
    Thank Tom
    Pat

Real Name
    Tom

I agree with Pat the Bidka site had great info on mixing .Unfortunately it has dropped the info .
    Another great source of info is The Skeptical Aquarist ;
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160313...m-permanganate
    From that link is this article which is very helpful IMO;
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160315...manganate_.htm
    Dr. Roddy has a pool in his basement for his Kio and is a rocket scientist but speaks plain English ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?