ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gabe Posada and bloodworms

Registered Member

Default Gabe Posada and bloodworms

Gabe Posada at Jack Wattley says bloodworms lead to internal parasites. Does he mean both FD and frozen? Any truth? Anecdotal? Thoughts?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Gabe Posada and bloodworms

Why don't you ask Gabe since he is making the claim?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Why don't you ask Gabe since he is making the claim?
    Pat
    I will. But I figure some of you oldtimers would have an opinion on this.

Real Name
    Tom

My buddy Tom in Hawaii is supposed to forward me that email from Gabe as he just recently received it and forwarded the info to me yesterday over the phone ..
    I am very curious about this .Seems nobody has any faith or favor in blood worms ..

I found this when I searched ;
    https://wattleydiscus.com/metro-disc...metronidazole/
    Last edited by coralbandit; 05-05-2020 at 07:10 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    My buddy Tom in Hawaii is supposed to forward me that email from Gabe as he just recently received it and forwarded the info to me yesterday over the phone ..
    I am very curious about this .Seems nobody has any faith or favor in blood worms ..

I found this when I searched ;
    https://wattleydiscus.com/metro-disc...metronidazole/
    Where have you seen other people or vendors advising against them?

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    Where have you seen other people or vendors advising against them?
    I am one of the only people who don't caveat any comment about them with they are not nutritious or what ever .
    Personally not one person who spoke against them yet has proved any credibility in their statements .I would love to see a scientific paper not an internet/youtube blog ..
    Some say they causes hex while there are articles saying to feed a nutritious food like blood worms to help the fishes nutritional deficiency for that very issue ?
    It seems you have to choose who you want to believe unless you have been feeding them on the regular for a while and never once had to treat your fish for hex or internal issues ..
    Personally too many people have just repeated what they heard from some unreliable sources IMO .Most say the feed them as treats since they are not nutritious ?
    I wonder how the un nutritious label comes about ..They have as much protein as many other HIGH quality food ...More then many actually but I guess some are bad at math ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Good and bad experience, I buy the frozen
    by the case when the factory delivers them
    to the wholesaler. I find the same bloodworms at the LFS and they look
    like they were melted and refrozen.
    I had a few adult Discus turned dark after
    eating so at that point I just stopped feeding Bloodworon, otherwise before that no problems.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 05-05-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I am one of the only people who don't caveat any comment about them with they are not nutritious or what ever .
    Personally not one person who spoke against them yet has proved any credibility in their statements .I would love to see a scientific paper not an internet/youtube blog ..
    Some say they causes hex while there are articles saying to feed a nutritious food like blood worms to help the fishes nutritional deficiency for that very issue ?
    It seems you have to choose who you want to believe unless you have been feeding them on the regular for a while and never once had to treat your fish for hex or internal issues ..
    Personally too many people have just repeated what they heard from some unreliable sources IMO .Most say the feed them as treats since they are not nutritious ?
    I wonder how the un nutritious label comes about ..They have as much protein as many other HIGH quality food ...More then many actually but I guess some are bad at math ?
    Understood. But Posada isn't just some blogger.

The question for me isn't the nutrition. It's whether bloodworms are dirty or not.

Registered Member

I cut the frozen blood worms to once a week. Based on what Gabe says I may stop them altogether. Why risk a sick fish when there are so many other food choices for them?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I cut the frozen blood worms to once a week. Based on what Gabe says I may stop them altogether. Why risk a sick fish when there are so many other food choices for them?

this is the most salient point of the whole thread.

I agree with Tom more than I beiieve in Gabe. I also believe that Cliff is correct. Way better to buy them from a seller who sells them frozen solid with no sign of past partial defrosting. I no longer use them only because the shipping on a case of something that is mostly water is more expensive that I can justfy.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I agree with Tom more than I beiieve in Gabe. I also believe that Cliff is correct. Way better to buy them from a seller who sells them frozen solid with no sign of past partial defrosting. I no longer use them only because the shipping on a case of something that is mostly water is more expensive that I can justfy.

Sorry, who is Tom?

Real Name
    Francis

I assume Tom is coralbandit

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    Sorry, who is Tom?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

I think the question that begs being asked is... Do you really know where your Bloodworms are farmed? and how they are processed?

I also think you need to re-phrase the question.. from "If bloodworms harbor parasites ...." to "can Bloodworms harbor parasites" and the answer to that question is a yes... so choose your sources wisely.

Heres a generalized description of the "bloodworms lifecycle...

http://www.ehow.com/about_5316164_bl...ife-cycle.html

Bloodworms are one stage in the life cycle of the non-biting Midge fly. The non-biting Midge, also known as chironomid, looks like a mosquito, but doesn't bite. Midges live near water and are found in streams, rivers, ditches, lakes and ponds. Midges are considered desirable insects in many settings and are a food source for fish and other aquatic life. They also help to keep waterways clean by consuming organic debris. The midge develops in a life cycle that includes four stages: egg, larvae (bloodworm), pupae and adult.

Egg
    The Midge lays her eggs on the surface of the water. The eggs are in a gelatinous egg mass that may contain up to 3,000 eggs. The egg mass sinks to the bottom of the water where it will hatch in up to one week.Larvae
    After the larvae leave the egg mass, they burrow into the mud or build small tube-like structures in which to live. They will enlarge the tubes as they grow. They consume organic matter in the water and mud as they grow and also dispose of human waste in sewage plants (http://www.ehow.com/about_5316164_bl...ml#).Bloodworm
    During the larval stage, the larvae will become pink and eventually dark red. This comes from hemoglobin in the Midge fly's blood. This iron-containing compound allows the larvae to respire in the low oxygen conditions in the muddy bottoms of the waterway.

During the bloodworm phase, the larvae will be in a C-shape. Most of the Midge fly's life is spent in this phase of its development, during which it will move itself with a swimming-like motion that includes wriggling in a figure of eight loops.Pupae
    Two to seven weeks after entering the larval stage, the bloodworm will cease to exist as the maturing Midge fly enters pupae while still living in its tube. Three days after entering pupae, it will swim (http://www.ehow.com/about_5316164_bl...fe-cycle.html#) to the surface of the water and the adult will emerge a few hours later.Adult
    The mature Midge fly, which will appear to look like a mosquito, will mate in a swarm soon after emerging. The adult fly will lay her eggs by skimming the water's surface in flight. The adult fly will never eat and will live only three to five days in this final stage of development.

Read more: Bloodworm Life Cycle | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/about_5316164_bl...#ixzz15m67v2xE) http://www.ehow.com/about_5316164_bl...#ixzz15m67v2xE

After reading the life cycle of the midge....I can see how a bloodworm could pick up something that may be parasitic...many parasites use inverts as an intermediary host in complex relationships we don't fully understand yet.

hth,
    al
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archiv...p/t-83965.html

good read..... Bloodworms: THE NAKED TRUTH
    http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/sh...HE-NAKED-TRUTH
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Hey Francis...That was some great reading. Well done. Thank you very much.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast