AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Urgently require some advise please

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Parvinder Singh

Red face Urgently require some advise please

Good afternoon
    My name is Parv and I have been keeping discus for the past 3-4 years.
    I have always dealt with the same supplier since I have been keeping discus in Kidderminster England (Tony Tan Discus)
    I recently joined another discus group on Facebook where they weekly have raffles and you have a chance to win some discus, luckily for me I won two raffels and am now the proud owner on a Albino Pearl Diamond 6" and also Mosaic Turq 5".
    They was delivered to me via courier and I received the following day.
    Now, at the moment these two have gone in a QT tank on their own but since I am getting so many people telling me different things on what I can and can't do with these discus due to them being from a different supplier and I need to know where I stand with this please.
    Ideally I would eventually like to put these into my main tank with the others but I am being told this is something I can't do as this will wipe out the whole tank, this is something I really want to avoid.
    Please can someone give me some advise and tell me the procedure?
    If I can't add them to the current tank I would possibly keep them separate because they are two lovely discus.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Urgently require some advise please

Quarantine them separately.
    Quarantine *questions...
    Hi all,
    Just saw this and thought I would update. I do much of what I always have done.. though I do tailor it a bit different depending on the condition the fish come in...

For those interested..I had done several Discus Disease and Health Presentations over the years... The following are from a few pages of that presentation. HTH, al

Suggested Quarantine Procedures...
    Receive fish: Place into a clean tank with aged (well aerated/pH stable warm water (85-87F). Use a well cycled bio filter.
    Week One: Many Frequent water changes, observe fish behavior, and treat for anything specifically noted******. Be sure all fish are eating well and passing normal feces.
    Week Two: Prophylactic deworming with Praziquantel for tape worms, several days latter deworm with general dewormer (levamisole) added to water as 24 hour bath
    Week Three: Repeat Levamisole as 24 hour bath
    Week Four: Let rest, nothing but water changes.
    Week Five: Re-dose with Levamisole as 24 hour bath
    Week Six: Quarantine is over if the fish are looking healthy and eating well and are not to be mixed with existing stock. If these are to be mixed with existing stock..add least favorite of existing stock (aka Test fish) to new fishes stock.
    Week Six-Week Eight: Observe new stock and test fish. If all is well, most likely safe to mix all fish.'
    **** important note

Quarantine Common Sense:
    Maintain complete separation of new stock from existing livestock.
    Use separate nets, hoses, buckets, and siphons for each quarantine tank.
    Separate rooms are much safer than in room quarantines.
    Perform all maintenance on new stock’s quarantine tank after you are done with all existing tanks.
    Wash hands and arms thoroughly after working in tanks.
    Maintain optimum water quality, less stress means healthier fish
    Tank should have a fully cycled bio-filter. Quarantining a group of fish is not the time to be cycling a tank!!!
    Be vigilant… catching and treating a problem early on is better than latter when it may be harder or impossible to treat.

Brews Top 11 Discus Health Issues
    1. Chemical Poisoning: Chlorine, Chloramine, ammonia, nitrite, heavy metals (ex. copper and iron), Medications. Suggested treatment…clean water and lots of it!
    2. Dissolved gases: Low dissolved oxygen or high dissolved C02/nitrogen etc. Suggested treatment ...age and aerate water.
    3. Improper Shipping and Handling Techniques: Suggested treatment…prophylactic screening of suppliers and buying only from reputable ones.
    4. Improper care of Discus at Vendor’s Shop: Suggested treatment…prophylactic screening of suppliers and buying from reputable ones.
    5. Well meaning but inappropriate or inaccurate advice. Suggested course of action…Check references…information abounds in the internet and pet shops, both good and bad info.
    Improper care of Discus on the part of the hobbyist. To keep any fish, a basic knowledge of species requirements and needs exists…Discus require a bit more than basic knowledge. Suggested treatment…Learn as much as you can!!
    7. Poor Tank Hygiene Syndrome: Suggested treatment….Be less stingy with the water changes and maintenance.
    8. “Charlie Brown Christmas Tree Syndrome” A fish that is sickly or poor quality when you buy it isn’t going to miraculously turn into a beautiful specimen. Suggestion..start with obviously healthy stock, not obviously sickly or low grade stock.
    9. Hobbyist Mediated Pandemic: Occurs when a hobbyist recklessly acquires many specimens in a short period of time from multiple sources…mixing these together with existing stock then leads to Immune Overload..aka..sick fish. Suggested treatment….Learn patience and adhere to a sound Quarantine plan!!
    10. Nutritional deficiencies…Largely unknown how this affects Discus specifically.. But what we do know is that every animal needs an adequate diet.. Suggestion…feed a varied diet to your discus of quality foods.

And finally…… Number 11!!!!

11. Gill flukes, external and internal protozoans, nematodes, bacterial infections, viruses, “plagues”etc…..

Why is this one listed last in a talk about Discus Diseases and health you may ask?…

Because! If you pay attention to the first 10 conditions mentioned you may not even need to worry about number 11! A healthy fish that has all its needs taken care of and is not stressed has an innate advantage when dealing with diseases and illness..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Parvinder, what Francis posted is the quarantine procedure used by Al who is the owner of this forum and I follow this procedure. Quarantine for at least six weeks to ensure the new fish are healthy and eating well. Adding a hero or test fish from your existing stock is very important on mixing the two sources of fish. Francis linked Al's procedure at the bottom of post 2.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Willie

Congratulations! My advise is to reach out to the distributor who sent you the discus and inquire as to what, if any, prophylactic treatments have already been applied. The fish may well have gone through some, if not all, of the medications recommended.

When I purchase discus, and I always purchase from a well-known discus importer, the fish goes into their own tank for 6 weeks of quarantine. I do not treat with any medication unless clear disease symptoms manifest. Six weeks is strongly recommended to ensure any symptoms become observable. While I would not hesitate to medicate discus, most all treatments are stressful and I avoid doing anything unless it's clearly called for.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I do the same as Willie.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I too am with Willie! Also my discus are mixed from at least 3 different places.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Parvinder Singh

Thanks guys ;-)