ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Spironucleus Vortens (Facts and Theories about Hexamita)

Default Spironucleus Vortens (Facts and Theories about Hexamita)

Hi Everyone,

I have been researching and studying Spironucleus Vortens for over a year and i would like to share with you all some of my findings.

Spironucleus Vortens is the correct name for the protozoa we all know as Hexamita, When this protozoa was first seen in Cichlids it was diagnosed as the human infecting protozoa Hexamita. It was later discovered that this protozoa has a different Genome than Hexamita. It has since been classified as family: Hexamitadae but the genus: Spironucleus Vortens.
    S. Vortens is commonly found in Cichlids although research has been unable to ascertain the reason for this. It is common in all species, from African Cichlids to North, Central, and South American cichlids.
    Most Cichlids carry S. Vortens with no symptoms of having them, however if conditions are good for the protozoa it will multiply and overwhelm the fish, causing illness. S. Vortens are known to occupy the mucosa found in the intestine, however they can penetrate the walls and infect other organs of the body. IF this happens it can be fatal. some of the symptoms of illness include white mucousy poop, darkening in color, sluggishness, refusing food, and hiding. These symptoms are the same as many other diseases, making it difficult to know what is going on in your fish. S.Vortens has also been found in the wounds associated with HITH, however it still requires further study to find if S.Vortens is the cause of the wounds or is opportunistic in this case.
    In December 1999, Virginia Tech did a study of angelfish infected with S. Vortens in order to determine the optimum growing conditions for the protozoa as well as treatments for it.
    During this study, it was found that S Vortens optimum growth conditions we in temperatures between 22C (71f) and 28C (82f) with a PH range between 6.0 and 7.5. These temperatures and PH range covers most of the Cichlids we keep.
    In this study they tested treatments of the nitroimidazoles and the benzimidazoles, from the meds tested pyrimethamine, magnesium Sulfate, albendazole and fenbendazole were completely ineffective, however metronidazole, mebendazole and dimetridazole were all effective with mebendazole being the most effective.
    In another study done in 2000, an in vitro study was done in order to ascertain the best conditions for optimum growth of S. Vortens. This study was done with S. Vortens growing in medium, in different conditions. The results of this study mirrored those of the last. Optimum conditons were found with temperature 22C-28C. It was found that with a temperature of 30 and higher all S. Vortens died in 4 days. Optimum PH range was 6.0-7.5. With PH above 8.5 and below 5.5 all S. Vortens were dead in 24 hours.

So in Theory, taking into consideration both studies, with a PH above 8.0 and below 6.0 S. Vortens cannot survive. This is interesting news for sure.

According to the University of Florida Treatment for S. Vortens is Metronidazole preferably mixed in food, however if the fish is not eating it can be used as a bath. Below i have added screenshots og the dosage amounts for both in food and the bath as well as a recipe for the meds provided by the University of Florida.

I hope this article has been both informative and useful.

Tammy

metro bath.jpg
    metro food dosage.jpg
    recipe.jpg

Virginia Tech Study
    https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/29907

In vitro study, S. Sangmaneedet, et al. Dis Aquat Organ, 2000
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10715818/?i=3&from=/11558728/related

The University of Florida Drs. Ruth Francis-Floyd and Peggy Reed
    Freshwater-aquaculture.extension.org
    Last edited by Tkuilderd; 05-08-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Spironucleus Vortens (Facts and Theories about Hexamita)

Tammy great article and thanks for sharing it.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Thanks for sharing Tammy
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

That was a good read, thanks.

Real Name
    Brian

Great article Tammy. I'm going to sticky this one.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

very informative post, thanks for that.

Registered Member

I did not see it when first posted this is great information.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

This is great information.

I have seen elsewhere that metronidazole becomes completely inert after exposure to water for 8 hours. After doing some research I found studies indicating metronidazole is relatively stable in water at ~104F, with only ~25% reduction in concentration over a 3 week period. It appears to do better at room temperature or under refrigeration, being stable for over 90 days.

If this is true, it would indicate that making food dosed with metronidazole, for a 5 day course of treatment, would be effective, but it should not be stored long term.

Is this consistent with your understanding?

Robert

Hi Robert!
    Thank you for your question. I would not make a beefheart mix with metro until it was needed and only enough for a 3 day treatment.
    Personally we do not use food dosages, especially for multiple fish. The dosage for meds in food is based on the weight of the fish and it is very difficult to insure that the fish is receiving the proper dosage.
    I will also do a seperate comment with screenshots of water born and food treatments from 1 of my books. I have marked an area of interest though 😁

Tammy

Tammy

Salt is the cure for everything!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Thanks for the additional information! Very helpful.

Robert