ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: German Discus bloodlines Stendker

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kaya Franklin

Default German Discus bloodlines Stendker

Aloha everyone, my name is Kai Im from Hawaii but currently living in Berlin, I recently started construction on a new fish room,i had to leave Hawaii for working Abroad here in Berlin, even still i brought my hobby with me,,An uncle used to own Hawaiiandiscus.com and discus have been in my life since i was a toddler, On the many thousands of Discus Ive seen before me come and go i have had the chance to raise many beautiful Discus from all over the world and is it me or does anyone else have a harder time raising the German lines of discus???? I HAVE HAD MORE SUCCESS raising Domestic lines of Non-German origins ,,i mean to say I have had less trouble from illness and Ive seen, my Non-German lines grow much bigger much faster and are soooo much easier to care for,,i keep mostly bare tanks but in my display tank is planted,,,ive tried several times to keep Stendker Discus in planted tanks and it always ends up in disaster...stunting,bacteria infections you name it, keeping other lines however under the same conditions my Discus are Big and Round and withing months already 12 ,,15 18 cm literally twice the size of the Stendker line. i keep the remaing Stendker Discus in their own tank and when you compare the lines im just left to wonder Why......can anyone explain this to me....is it bad Genetics??? Im currently building my new fish room here in Berlin Where i will breed some of the wonderful lines ive received hoping to obtain Showfish Quality and currently gazing at my collection of about 450 Discus ans i cant help but wonder about the genetics of discus fish so Many amazing variety i trully hope to find some nice specimen for Breeding and sharing, even though ive been keeping Discus for 25 years im still an novice and im hoping to learn from you all and please share with me you time you have had with the different lines.....until then warm regards from Berlin....Kai of Frankly Discus

Registered Member

Default Re: German Discus bloodlines Stendker

Aloha, Kaya! Other than the Stendker breeders, Asian, and Wattley (is Wattley a thrid option from the other two?) where else would one source Discus?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

If I lived in Europe it would be Piwow's all the way for me...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    So I hear. Book 'em, Dano.

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    This for sure 100%
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Willie

I've kept Stendkers for two decades now, all through Discus Hans' in the US. They've all grown well in my tanks and, perhaps more satisfying, have mostly spawned. The earlier Stendkers probably lagged behind Asian discus in terms of shape and patterns. Size and color were just as good. In fact, Stendkers grew much bigger than most other discus. My sense is that the patterns have improved greatly, although obviously not matching the latest from Malaysia. But then, there are a lot of Asian discus around that do not match up well with Malaysian stock. I'd love to have a tank of big Flachens, which capture the best of wild and domesticated strains.

Like everyone else, I've seen Piwoworski's amazing videos. But from what I can tell, only his small discus are for sale. I've yet to see anyone else with adult Piwo's on display. Since you're close, maybe you can help us live vicariously through your tank!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I've kept Stendkers for two decades now, all through Discus Hans' in the US. They've all grown well in my tanks and, perhaps more satisfying, have mostly spawned. The earlier Stendkers probably lagged behind Asian discus in terms of shape and patterns. Size and color were just as good. In fact, Stendkers grew much bigger than most other discus. My sense is that the patterns have improved greatly, although obviously not matching the latest from Malaysia. But then, there are a lot of Asian discus around that do not match up well with Malaysian stock. I'd love to have a tank of big Flachens, which capture the best of wild and domesticated strains.

Like everyone else, I've seen Piwoworski's amazing videos. But from what I can tell, only his small discus are for sale. I've yet to see anyone else with adult Piwo's on display. Since you're close, maybe you can help us live vicariously through your tank!

Willie
    Willie, thank you for that bit of information regarding the Malaysian breeds. It seems then that we would have a valuable connection via Simply Discus to the Malaysian varieties via Kenny from Forrest.

I have found that the Stendkers grow bigger and are thicker. I my taste runs to a more refined fish which means Asian fish. Nobody has what I want.. But if Stendker had what I am looking for I would cross my Asians with the German in a New York minute. One day I will have to out cross. When I do I will talk to Hans. In my past experience you get some offspring from the that give you the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 05-10-2020 at 05:44 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bud Smith

I have two strains of german juvies I am growing out presently. Once they got used to my food preference they are eating well. Looking forward to their growth progression in my tanks.
    Bud

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

"timrivens" from Belgium has Piwow's that he grew out from juvies and are now breeding. They're a sight to behold!

Real Name
    TONY

I'm probably not the best case for info on this but here goes. I've had great success with Stendker but no experience with any others. I've dealt directly with Hans both online & at his facility. His selections, availability and wealth of knowledge kept me coming back. Although I haven't been able to achieve some the sevens & eights that he routinely has, I'm quite satisfied w/ my sixes. Maybe one day I'll experiment with 'Wilds' or 'Asians' and make some valid comparisons but for now the 'Germans' will do just fine. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"