AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 1 month fry with white long feces

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

Default 1 month fry with white long feces

Hello everyone

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Today i noticed some of the fry have white, long feces. Maybe a handful out of 85 of them.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

White feces

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None medication but as of today

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

26 gallon, 85 Discus of 1 month

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% per day, and 90% one time/wek

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

It has been running for 2 months, bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

water is store 24 hours before, it’s 100% reverse osmosis + salt preis. I use a small pump to mix the salt and heat it before

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

None

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 86 F

- ph 6

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0-1

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- RO water 100%

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

I feed them tetra prime with discus good heart from Stendker (beef heart)

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    https://youtu.be/xaLvmxv7qm0

Default Re: 1 month fry with white long feces

It sure looks like hex to me. Did you clean up the pair? I didn't once and had a mess with deaths and stunting from flukes. Now, it a pair hasn't been cleaned up recently enough for me to remember when I did it, I do it again before they spawn.

I would like others with more experience than me to advise you but if these were my fish I would remove the slow growers (they rarely turn out) and watch for one more day. If you see the same symptoms in the same or other fish I'd jump on it by treating the tank with metro at the rate of 500 mg per 10 gallons and change up to 90% of the water daily. Wipe down the tank daily and keep up with this regimen for 12 days. Metro is the most gentle medication I know of so I wouldn't worry about the treatment harming the fry.
    Mama Bear

I believe your having water quality issues, first thing I see is the 100% ro is this something you've always done or a recent change, what water source are you using to make the ro ,have you ever checked your KH and tds your fish especially the adults appear to be showing signs of very little if any minerals in the water

Jeanne

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    I believe your having water quality issues, first thing I see is the 100% ro is this something you've always done or a recent change, what water source are you using to make the ro ,have you ever checked your KH and tds your fish especially the adults appear to be showing signs of very little if any minerals in the water

Jeanne
    I agree, I would reconstitute your water with a mineral mix or even switch them over to 100% tap or a mix of tap and RO. This is a critical stage of growth and these minerals are necessary for development.

I'd agree except for the fact that I have raised many healthy Discus fry in straight RO with nothing added. I've always been of the belief that the fish get their minerals from their food, same as humans do.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

To sturi : Are you talking of the adult from the video of my other post from today? It's indeed RO water but mix with Preis mineral salt specially made for Discus (i don't know if it's on the maket in USA). My TDS has always been around 200ppm , my KH is around 0 because of the salt, it doesn't increase the KH. What make you say they lack mineral? To maker the RO, i used tap water connect to a RO unit; That give me a water with 4ppm before adding the mineral salt.

To Jeep : Unfortunately, the tap water in Paris is both too hard (12-15 gh) and with too much of nitrates (15 mg/l).

To Liz : Th fry were raise artificially, so the contamination risk were limited but they were in contact for the water of the community aquarium for their first days. I'll go tomorrow to my LFS to get metro

Thank you
    Last edited by Arnaud612; 05-10-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Table salt shoots the pH through the roof although it's not harmful to the fish. It's one of those quirky things. Most mineral salt additives like Equilibrium increase gH. It's the carbonate salts that increase kH.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

This one, Preis mineral salt doesn't impact the PH. I check and Preis discus salt is widely used in Europe but not in USA it seems. I am concerned about the quote of my lack of mineral. How is it possible they lack mineral with 400 TDS?
    Last edited by Arnaud612; 05-10-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Don't worry about what they say, Aunaud. They didn't realize what the "salt" you were adding did. If you need to adjust anything it would be the kH but if you do large frequent WC's I don't think you should worry about it.

My advice would be to take everything others say you should do and decide on your own what you think would work best for you. Following orders is good to a point, but that doesn't mean you should follow mindlessly. These are your fish in your water so it comes down to making your own decisions. If you decide incorrectly you learn a stronger lesson that when you decide correctly. This I know to be fact.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arnaud

Thank you very much Liz. It's the second time you spend time to advise and help me and i am really greatful! I think if i understand correctly, metro is a harmless ( as possible when it comes to medic) large spectrum anti bacterial? I was thinking to buy and use this one for the fry. As for the community tank, i'll wait until someone answer me and/or recognize the affliction.

Thanks again, liz !! Have a nice day.