AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tank Brand Recommendation

Registered Member

Default Tank Brand Recommendation

I am going to purchase either a 40g or 55g and move current Discus now living in a 30g which leaves the 30g for breeder tank. Is there a brand that I should consider and one that I should stay away from?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Tank Brand Recommendation

Unless you're wanting something special, I'd wait for a Petco $1 per gallon sale. I think they're usually Aqueons. If your local carries 55's, they'll be 1/2 off instead of $55, still a good deal, but 40's should be $40. You have to buy your own glass top.
    My store looks like it might be happening now. It comes out of their corporate office, so I'd call your local store to see what sizes they have available.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 05-11-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Registered Member

PetSmart got the Topfin Essential for $129. Original price was $199. 55 gallon with hood and led lights that in my opinion is pretty bright. Great heater which is light grey in color. Not too many heaters are non black in color.. HOB filter that I thought was quiet and pretty decent. Glass was pretty thick and was heavy. Just the hood and lights for me was at least worth $70-$80 at least if I bought it separate. I bought the set last Sunday. I picked it up in our local PetSmart. When it was Black Friday they were $99[1/2 off]. At $129 it still is a great deal. I got 4 tanks and all are Topfin essentials
    Last edited by sipaboy; 05-13-2020 at 04:53 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Tank Brand Recommendatn

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Unless you're wanting something special, I'd wait for a Petco $1 per gallon sale. I think they're usually Aqueons. If your local carries 55's, they'll be 1/2 off instead of $55, still a good deal, but 40's should be $40. You have to buy your own glass top.
    My store looks like it might be happening now. It comes out of their corporate office, so I'd call your local store to see what sizes they have available.
    On the $1 per gallon. It applies to 29G and below. But the 40G is discounted at $49 and 55G at $69. Still not bad.

Registered Member

Thanks, Sipaboy and Rouge. I think the 40g is the way to go. I watched something on You Tube comparison between the 40 and 55. The 40 has a bigger surface area by dimension. That appeals to me.

Real Name
    TONY

Some feel they're pricey but they make a quality product. https://glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=2 "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Real Name
    Steve

My nicest 75 is one I got from my dad. Pretty sure it's one of theirs. Thicker glass, center glass brace. I need to reseal it, so it's sitting empty.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonytheboss1 View Post
    Some feel they're pricey but they make a quality product. https://glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=2 "T"
    Thanks New York TONY! There is a nice range of sizes there. The pricing is competitive as well.

Registered Member

Aqueon and Marineland were available when I bought my 90g on Thursday. I went with Marineland. They use black silicone. It'll cover up algae better. I hate when algae gets on the silicone; such a pain to get off.

Never knew of this black silicone thing until Thursday.

Nonetheless, a vote for Marineland if it's available where you're at. Aqueon and Marineland both offer lifetime warranties. Not sure about other brands.
    DT: 90G Marineland / 2 AquaClear 110s / Finnex LED+ 24-7 / 2 - 125W Eheim Jager heaters

Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 20ppm / Ph: 7.4 / kh: 7 / gh: 13

Registered Member

I like your idea regarding the black silicone. It seems to me the more I scrape on the silicone in order to remove the algae the sooner the tank is going to spring a leak because I not only scrapped off the algae but a little silicone each time as well.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

The Aqueon's are thin. I've drilled 5 of the 20L, putting 4 holes in each aquarium, (and also 3 of the Tetra 20Ls too) and it's not for the feint of heart. They use very thin glass and I had to employ custom jigs to prevent breakage.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    The Aqueon's are thin. I've drilled 5 of the 20L, putting 4 holes in each aquarium, (and also 3 of the Tetra 20Ls too) and it's not for the feint of heart. They use very thin glass and I had to employ custom jigs to prevent breakage.
    Man....so glad I didn't go with Aqueon. Another thing I forgot to mention about Aqueon: they use two braces on bigger tanks.....vs the one on my Marineland. I didn't like that either.
    DT: 90G Marineland / 2 AquaClear 110s / Finnex LED+ 24-7 / 2 - 125W Eheim Jager heaters

Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 20ppm / Ph: 7.4 / kh: 7 / gh: 13