ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anybody identify this 4 month old discus which I was recently given?

Registered Member

Default Can anybody identify this 4 month old discus which I was recently given?

/Users/davidgooch/Desktop/DISCUS-120520.jpg
    I was told it is a Stendker Pigeon Blood, but somebody else has told me its a marlboro red...will the peppering go away? And how long before the markings become more prominent?
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by scorpio; 05-12-2020 at 10:06 AM. Reason: trying to attach image

Registered Member

Default Re: Can anybody identify this 4 month old discus which I was recently given?

hmm...how do I get the pic to show?

Registered Member

Default Re: Can anybody identify this 4 month old discus which I was recently given?

Lets try again

Registered Member

nope....grrrr

Registered Member

It says 'scroll down' after writing text,....which I have done...but nothing is there....is this a Mac thing?
    Last edited by scorpio; 05-12-2020 at 10:08 AM. Reason: cant attach image

Registered Member

Trying again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pigeon Blood
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Pigeon Blood
    +1 w Liz but it's hard to say if it's a Stendker as there is multituiof PB strains out there. The peppering is fairly light and looks to be where the (stress) bars would be located on a wild type discus. When you fish is stressed the peppering will be more evident, but it may not go away completely either.

Real Name
    Willie

It's not a Stendker. All Stendker strains have a very similar shape, particularly in the forehead, and this one does not.

It is an old fashion pigeon blood with peppering. Marlboro Reds would have a solid body, so this doesn't qualify either. Normally I would say that the peppering will be reduce as the fish grows. The total amount of peppering does not change so a larger fish will look less peppered than a younger version of itself. However, the eye to head ratio on this fish suggest that it's somewhat stunted and older than it may appear. I'm not confident that it's going to grow much more, so the ratio of peppering to non-peppering is unlikely to change.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Here's an short video of my Stendker Red Pigeon Blood from Discus Hans: https://youtu.be/gJMahEjLchI

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Here's an short video of my Stendker Red Pigeon Blood from Discus Hans: https://youtu.be/gJMahEjLchI
    If you look carefully at this video, almost all the fish share the same forehead shape. All Stendkers.

Willie

Registered Member

I'm somewhat confused about the remarks saying this is not a Stendker, i accompanied the purchaser during the last week of February to Maidenhead Aquatics to buy this and another discus. Maidenhead are a main UK agent for Stendker. The purchaser is a neighbour and friend of mine and we were told the fish was a Stendker about 8 weeks old. Unfortunately, 2 months on and my neighbour is no longer able to carry out the water changes due to medical problems so she gave me the fish to look after. I realise it may not be a prize-winning shape, but it is reallly entertaining to watch and is a very young fish.....and has grown to almost twice the size it was when purchased 2 months ago.
    I will go back to Maidnhead and tell them about Willie's remarks and see what their response is. If he's right I think its scandalous that a fish imported by a Stendker agent is selling fish claiming to be Stendkers when they are not. I do appreciate the comments though....many thanks.

Real Name
    Willie

When you view the linked video, every fish in the tank has the classic Stendker hump (outlined in a screen capture from the video). I've raised Stendkers from the time Hans first emigrated to the US and all the strains - except for Santarems - have this forehead shape.

Notch(E6tpt2a95EL).jpg

On some adults, primarily female discus, the forehead may slowly round out to reduce the effect of the hump. However, it's always there in young Stendkers and in most adult Stendkers as well. Your PB doesn't have this feature.

I can't foretell what your local distributor will claim, but the evidence is fairly clear.

Good luck, Willie

Registered Member

Well I complained to the Manager of Maidenhead Aquatics...he was very upset because he said he only ever uses Stendker in Germany as his sole source for Discus. He gave me the email address of Stendker and suggested I send my photo to them for their comments.
    I just received their reply as follows:
    "As a juvenile fish the shape is good for this fish, so it can be a discus of us. The pettern let it look like a checkerbord and not as a simpl pigeon blood. The peppering is sometimes shown because of the water composition. So all in all it can be a fish from us."

Best reguards
    V. Stendker
    Diskuszucht Stendker GmbH & Co. KG
    Am Holzbach 18
    D-48231 Warendorf[/I][/I]

Thank you to everybody who helped me with this, and sorry for mentioning it in the wrong forum.

Registered Member

12and20May2020-2.jpgYoung Checkerboard starting to colour up.....picture on left is 16wks old....picture on right is 18 wks old.
    Last edited by scorpio; 05-20-2020 at 06:18 AM. Reason: upload image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast