AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Feeding Tip for FD or Frozen foods

Registered Member

Default Feeding Tip for FD or Frozen foods

I wanted to share a little tip I've started using when feeding freeze-dried or frozen foods...

Sometimes feeding these two types of foods can be a little clunky for whatever reason. I've found that just throwing a whole, unbroken FD cube into the tank can cause dominant fish to monopolize the cube thus promoting aggression. So the alternative is to break up the cube before hand and sprinkle it in. The problem there is the food will float if not pre-soaked and shy fish that don't like to feed at the surface will be left out.

With frozen cubes, I never like the idea of just tossing an "ice block" in the tank unthawed.

Solution: a soft-boiled egg cup!

Just throw the cube in the cup, add a little RO or distilled water, then put in the microwave for 10 seconds or less. The food cubes break up (you may need to stir with your finger a little), get thawed if needed and pre-soaked. Then just pour it into the outflow stream of the filter/powerhead for instant and thorough dispersion. Rinse the cup out and you-re reloaded for the next time.

You can get these egg cups for a few bucks online or anywhere I guess. Just make sure they are microwave safe. This method also works pretty well for loose FD food like FD bloodworms (credit goes to the forum member who has advised pre-soaking FD bloodworms in a cup of hot water before delivery. This got my wheels turning).

Hope you find this useful!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: Feeding Tip for FD or Frozen foods

Why not just let the cubes thaw in room temp for say 10 mins? Pretry sure 10 secs in the Microwaive cooks some of it

Real Name
    Willie

I've always just tossed in frozen food or pressed a freeze dried cube against the glass side. There's enough food that everyone gets to eat. The only variation is frozen mysis, which can be very greasy. Those get thawed in room temperature water, poured into a net (I use a cheap brine shrimp net), rinsed once and dumped in. Otherwise, the surface of the water gets slick with oil.

To each his own...

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nikond70s View Post
    Why not just let the cubes thaw in room temp for say 10 mins? Pretry sure 10 secs in the Microwaive cooks some of it
    It's more like 7 sec actually. And i don't like waiting.