AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How long can blackworms survive in shipping?

Registered Member

Default How long can blackworms survive in shipping?

Hi guys
    So I ordered 4x90ml packs of blackworms online, but they have been in transit for about a week now, despite ''express'' shipping. My question is, how long can they survive in transport? Do I have any hope for survivors or should I start arranging for a refund?

Thanks

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: How long can blackworms survive in shipping?

These are live? or frozen?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It would be a miracle. More likely 4 packs of putridly rotten worms. I would reach out now, at least to tell the seller you haven't received them as yet...not a good time to express ship for sure

Registered Member

if they were sent by aquatic foods - they ship on ice - they should be fine. Years ago when I kept wilds thats all I fed them and they'd always take 5-7 days as long as packed with ice pack

Real Name
    Brian

Live worms are usually shipped with very little water to save on shipping costs. My guess is they will be a putridly stinky mess as well. Even if some were alive I would not feed them to my fish...

Frozen worms will probably be the same...

Registered Member

Thanks guys, not really what I wanted to hear, but ok. I hope they were on ice and that the low temps helped, so fingers crossed and hope for a mirracle. Its my first time attempting a live blackworm culture and because of the virus, they were a paint to get so I was forced to shop online. Luckily they were cheap. Just a follow up question, how do they usually ship, just locked in a bag or what? Do they need lots of air or do they suffocate quickly?

Real Name
    Brian

The ones I've ordered are usually shipped in an insulated box with very little water or air and a heat/cold pack as needed. Just a slushy bag of worms. I imagine they would suffocate after more than a day or so unless the bag was filled with oxygen, which I doubt because the more air there is the more chance there is of them sticking to the bag and out of water when the box gets tossed around by the shipper. I rinse them at least twice per day to keep them clean so you can imagine how they might be for 4+ days without fresh water.

Registered Member

They're dead. I promise you that.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

When I get live blackworms they are shipped overnight in an insulated box with a cold pack.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Saguaro View Post
    Hi guys
    So I ordered 4x90ml packs of blackworms online, but they have been in transit for about a week now, despite ''express'' shipping. My question is, how long can they survive in transport? Do I have any hope for survivors or should I start arranging for a refund?

Thanks
    Depending on where you live there are only two farms in the u.s. that raise blackworms, one being eastern Aquatics and the other being California blackworms, this being all they do they are experienced in shipping mine have always shipped overnight ,

Jeanne