AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 2 out of 4 discus not eating

Registered Member

Default 2 out of 4 discus not eating

Hi,

About 3 weeks ago I added 4 medium sized red pigeon blood discus to my 60 gallon tank. Everything was good for a week but then I noticed 1 of the discus refusing to eat. Then another one stopped eating. Then a third. At this point I increased the water changes to 50% every 3 days (previously 50% once a week). Two of the discus are still not eating and show no interest in food. I’m wondering if I should continue the water changes and hope they improve or if I should treat with metro or something.

Tank info: 60 gallons (48” x 12” x 24”), filtered by two AC 110s, tank mates are small tetras, corydoras and a few platies. Temp is 84°F. I feed blood worms; brine shrimp, mysis, and flakes. All the other fish are eating.

Pls lmk if I need to provide more info. Thanks in advance

Registered Member

Default Re: 2 out of 4 discus not eating

Others here are much more experienced however I would increase my water change and the tank temperature.

I would take the temp up to 88 and start doing daily water changes. If you're still having problems then I would also start treating with salt. 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons and then replace for the volume you change during water changes.

I hope this helps its worked for me.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cd459 View Post
    Hi,

About 3 weeks ago I added 4 medium sized red pigeon blood discus to my 60 gallon tank. Everything was good for a week but then I noticed 1 of the discus refusing to eat. Then another one stopped eating. Then a third. At this point I increased the water changes to 50% every 3 days (previously 50% once a week). Two of the discus are still not eating and show no interest in food. I’m wondering if I should continue the water changes and hope they improve or if I should treat with metro or something.

Tank info: 60 gallons (48” x 12” x 24”), filtered by two AC 110s, tank mates are small tetras, corydoras and a few platies. Temp is 84°F. I feed blood worms; brine shrimp, mysis, and flakes. All the other fish are eating.

Pls lmk if I need to provide more info. Thanks in advance
    For my Discus individual fish seem to prefer different food. Two like food floating. Two like to peck at bottom food. Four prefer pellets and freeze dried black words. All like brine shrimp. One ignores all food, hangs around near a branch at the bottom but when I hold a cube of brine shrimp in the tank he is always first to peck at the cube. Because of this I made a blend of food consisting or Bug Bites, Tetra Color, and freeze dried black worms. All seem to eat some thing except for the one Heckel who will only eat brine shrimp from my fingers.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    For my Discus individual fish seem to prefer different food. Two like food floating. Two like to peck at bottom food. Four prefer pellets and freeze dried black words. All like brine shrimp. One ignores all food, hangs around near a branch at the bottom but when I hold a cube of brine shrimp in the tank he is always first to peck at the cube. Because of this I made a blend of food consisting or Bug Bites, Tetra Color, and freeze dried black worms. All seem to eat some thing except for the one Heckel who will only eat brine shrimp from my fingers.

LMAO ..I've discovered this is so true. They are stubborn picky little pancakes. I suppose they could all be trained eventually if you force fasted them but that is cruel and contra to the goal of creating big fat diva fish. So i cater to their needs; I feel like I am their pet now.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    LMAO ..I've discovered this is so true. They are stubborn picky little pancakes. I suppose they could all be trained eventually if you force fasted them but that is cruel and contra to the goal of creating big fat diva fish. So i cater to their needs; I feel like I am their pet now.
    Take your common run of the mill house cat, for example. Also fussy about their food. Baby humans are another example. These fish are much the same. I have one who does not mind pecking on an occasional orange peal. The others ignore the peal. One night after you have finished your supper try scrapping off the plate into the tank. See who goes for it. If it should be T-bone scraps then prolly you have yourself a Piranha that you had mistaken for a Discus.