AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Breeding behaviour or something else !!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Default Discus Breeding behaviour or something else !!!

Hi guys, hope u all are fine , I have some questions & very curious to find out the answers, I have 6 discus in my tank , except one all discus are shivering, cleaning breeding tubes, grouping ... like almost every possible clue that they wanna breed. But this is going on from +2 weeks & still I don't get any eggs from any discus .... I put them , which I guess from their behaviour that the are pair , in a separate 18" cube tank but same thing ... they are showing like breeding but NOT. So I wanna know the possibilities of this ... what is going on .... why the are showing but not laying eggs .....

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Discus Breeding behaviour or something else !!!

Hi Haris, perhaps all the same gender? What do the breeding tubes look like?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Willie

Discus will engage in what I call "puppy love" early on, before they've fully matured. They'll simulate courtship and even cleaning without actually doing anything. Even when spawning happens, the males are usually not mature. Depending on the strain, males may mature 3 months (PB types) to 1 year (Blue Diamond) after the females. Frustration is felt mostly by the hobbyist!

I would not move your fish out of the main tank until you see an actual spawn, that is actual wrigglers. I've never had the first spawn be successful, so you're not losing out on anything. Once you see wrigglers, then it's time to get that breeder tank ready.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Hans will both explain and show here-------------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpD-YxL4NNQ

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Thanks guys
    @ Pat that's the first possible thing which I had in mind that both are the same gender ... but is this possible that 2 males or 2 females in a community tank make group with each other , swimming around , make a territory , keep other fishes away , shivering & cleaning the tube ???
    BTW ... My breeding tube is actually a vase about 9"-10" high 4" dia
    @ willie ... you are right ... I am also considering that maybe they are not matured enough . Yes frustrations is with us ... so your is suggesting not moving them in separate tank .... hmmm
    @peewee1 thanks for that video, I already watched that video & know that the best way to find a pair or not is to have wrigglers ....
    Thanks you all guys for a quick response. I like this site soooooo much.

Willie is right. All we can do is have patience. If there is one thing that Discus teach us it's patience.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Yes.... Right

My fishes .... just to share so you can also guess what they are .

Registered Member

You must be patient. Six fish is a good odds to find a suspect pair. Did you watch the YouTube made by the guy who claims he made $20,000 per month selling Discus? He said that he spent 6 big ones on a verified pair and then waited 18 months for them to spawn. When I first breed discus, maybe 25 years ago, I do not recall this process taking so long. But now it does. I now have a suspect pair that have been pecking both high and low for six months it seems. I think I saw eggs once in this time yet even today they are busy cleaning the tank heater which is near the "tube" or cone. I also see them pecking on the glass at the back of the tank near the heater. I just bought the tank and left the sticker on. The fish seem fascinated by that sticker and peck at it as if they want to lay the eggs there. This gives me an idea that I should place a few bumper stickers at various locations around the tank in order to give them more possible spawning options. Such as, "Women want me Fish love me" or "Kiss my bass" or "MILF (man I love fish)" or "Merry Fishmas" I am too funny I can't stand myself!
    Last edited by peewee1; 06-06-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Hahaha .... peewee1 you are funny ...

You are Right ... Patience is the key ....

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by sharis View Post
    Thanks guys
    @ Pat that's the first possible thing which I had in mind that both are the same gender ... but is this possible that 2 males or 2 females in a community tank make group with each other , swimming around , make a territory , keep other fishes away , shivering & cleaning the tube ???
    BTW ... My breeding tube is actually a vase about 9"-10" high 4" dia
    @ willie ... you are right ... I am also considering that maybe they are not matured enough . Yes frustrations is with us ... so your is suggesting not moving them in separate tank .... hmmm
    @peewee1 thanks for that video, I already watched that video & know that the best way to find a pair or not is to have wrigglers ....
    Thanks you all guys for a quick response. I like this site soooooo much.
    Yes Haris, two adults can "pair up". These two wild males did exactly that lol
    Pat

Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Dang Pat, I have seen two males shaking together and cleaning the cone but never in my life have I seen two males "spawning". Very cool.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

@pat thanks for clearing that & the video Lol
    So like Us , Discus also don't know the gender of his own family.