ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ordered from Macs up in Washington

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Default Re: Ordered from Macs up in Washington

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    How about a pic?
    All of these 5 small ones are from Mac's. All five have done well so far and it has been a week.

I really like his fish a lot.

It may just be me, but I think they have grown already and filled out for sure.
    I did not see even 1 sign of stress with them.

DiscusGroup.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I agree that they look healthy. I hope they grow into a nice round shape like the older ones.
    Mama Bear

Vinni, I'm seeing the same... fast growth. Fastest-growing I've seen.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Thanks for the pic. I agree that they look healthy. I hope they grow into a nice round shape like the older ones.
    Thank you Liz.

Honestly, if they don't turn out the correct shape, that's ok.
    I just like fish and color.
    Round would be best, but as long as they live and grow, I will be happy.
    They will always have a home here.
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 05-25-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Vinni, I'm seeing the same... fast growth. Fastest-growing I've seen.

Since I am new to discus, I cannot say fastest I've seen but I used to keep angels and these area doing the same.

BTW, Pastry. What type did you get from Mac's? And how many did you get?

I got 5:
    2 Red Covers
    2 Emerald Greens (which I ONLY get brown based reds but I just had to try them! )
    1 Rose Red

The RR I'm concerned is a PB. IT arrived reddish orange with eye bar and hint of other vertical bars but now (after crazy fast growth) it appears the vertical bars are made up of peppering. I emailed Steve 2 days ago and he got back to me. He said wait longer to see (and he knows I know what a PB is so it was relieving that he wasn't the type to try and pull one over on someone) and if it turns out to be a PB then he'd take care of me.
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    I got 5:
    2 Red Covers
    2 Emerald Greens (which I ONLY get brown based reds but I just had to try them! )
    1 Rose Red

The RR I'm concerned is a PB. IT arrived reddish orange with eye bar and hint of other vertical bars but now (after crazy fast growth) it appears the vertical bars are made up of peppering. I emailed Steve 2 days ago and he got back to me. He said wait longer to see (and he knows I know what a PB is so it was relieving that he wasn't the type to try and pull one over on someone) and if it turns out to be a PB then he'd take care of me.
    Mac has been in business 30 years. Too long to build a good reputation by fooling people. He has some very nice green discus. I wanted to order but too loyal to Kenny and Forrest to buy from Mac.

Registered Member

I hate to interrupt this group hug, but remember the below is what raised everybody's hackles:

I am asked this question often and before I give an answer, I always ask how often the person changes the water and cleans the tank. Getting the answer to this question is important for accurate feedback. Aquarium population and cleaning on a regular program will determine how many Discus fish can be safely added to an aquarium.

Discus fish belong to the freshwater South American cichlid family and therefore display a natural cichlid pecking order. I have found that adding more Discus fish to the tank calms their behavior by diluting this pecking order. If one cleans their tank and gravel once every 5 to 7 days on a regular basis, completes a 25% water change, and does not overfeed, you can stock a 100-gallon tank with 35 to 40 adult Discus fish. This stock level will result in your Discus fish growing evenly. There will be minimal pecking at feeding time and all the Discus fish will get their share of the meal. On the other hand, if one only wants to clean and change 25% of the tank water every month, then I would suggest following the one fish per 10-gallon rule and therefore stock with only 10 Discus fish. This stock level can lead to a severe pecking order resulting in uneven growth due to the dominant Discus fish getting all the food, growing faster, and eventually dominating the rest of the Discus fish in the tank. This is not good for your overall Discus fish community.

You can use the above formula to figure your comfort level and how much work you want to devote to aquarium maintenance and your particular tank size. For easy reference, if your setup is greater or less than 100-gallons you can do the math as follows.

150-gallon with once per week water changes Discus fish stock levels can be 55 to 60 adults, or once per month cleaning 15 adults.

55-gallons with once per week water changes Discus fish stock levels can be 15 to 18 adults, or once per month cleaning 5 to 6 adults.

30-gallons with weekly water changes Discus fish stock levels can be 6 to 7 adults, or once per month cleaning 2 to 3 adults.

The above formula is for Discus fish, any other varieties of small fish which are also in the tank do not count. Collectively the smaller fish will not put out a significant amount of waste.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    I hate to interrupt this group hug, but remember the below is what raised everybody's hackles:

I am asked this question often and before I give an answer, I always ask how often the person changes the water and cleans the tank. Getting the answer to this question is important for accurate feedback. Aquarium population and cleaning on a regular program will determine how many Discus fish can be safely added to an aquarium.

Discus fish belong to the freshwater South American cichlid family and therefore display a natural cichlid pecking order. I have found that adding more Discus fish to the tank calms their behavior by diluting this pecking order. If one cleans their tank and gravel once every 5 to 7 days on a regular basis, completes a 25% water change, and does not overfeed, you can stock a 100-gallon tank with 35 to 40 adult Discus fish. This stock level will result in your Discus fish growing evenly. There will be minimal pecking at feeding time and all the Discus fish will get their share of the meal. On the other hand, if one only wants to clean and change 25% of the tank water every month, then I would suggest following the one fish per 10-gallon rule and therefore stock with only 10 Discus fish. This stock level can lead to a severe pecking order resulting in uneven growth due to the dominant Discus fish getting all the food, growing faster, and eventually dominating the rest of the Discus fish in the tank. This is not good for your overall Discus fish community.

You can use the above formula to figure your comfort level and how much work you want to devote to aquarium maintenance and your particular tank size. For easy reference, if your setup is greater or less than 100-gallons you can do the math as follows.

150-gallon with once per week water changes Discus fish stock levels can be 55 to 60 adults, or once per month cleaning 15 adults.

55-gallons with once per week water changes Discus fish stock levels can be 15 to 18 adults, or once per month cleaning 5 to 6 adults.

30-gallons with weekly water changes Discus fish stock levels can be 6 to 7 adults, or once per month cleaning 2 to 3 adults.

The above formula is for Discus fish, any other varieties of small fish which are also in the tank do not count. Collectively the smaller fish will not put out a significant amount of waste.
    Where I partially agreed with Mac was the 30 gallon. I keep 5 to 6 fish in the 30 gallon although I have a higher volume of water changes. He did not say what percent the weekly change were, however. I change about 100% per week.

LMAO... you think Mac is the only seller who says that? Need I post about other distributors, importers, and breeders we all know?

He's not (by FAR) the only one ... and there's a reason.
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Where I partially agreed with Mac was the 30 gallon. I keep 5 to 6 fish in the 30 gallon although I have a higher volume of water changes. He did not say what percent the weekly change were, however. I change about 100% per week.
    What size are the fish in your 30 gal?

I've kept 5 very large show fish in a 30 but only for 6 weeks. I changed 95% of the water daily until the sterile filter caught up with the bio load which took 3 weeks. After that I was able to drop down to 50% daily. I would never had kept them in such a small tank forever.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    What size are the fish in your 30 gal?
    Eyeballing them at about 6.5.

Registered Member

I've kept 5 very large show fish in a 30 but only for 6 weeks. I changed 95% of the water daily until the sterile filter caught up with the bio load which took 3 weeks. After that I was able to drop down to 50% daily. I would never had kept them in such a small tank forever.
    I may do the same, Liz. Two will remain in the 30 gallon. I will go with 6 in a new 40 gallon that I will set up when I see something coming posted for sale by Kenny. Be it this month or 3 months from now.

Peewee... re-read my post from last night and hope I didn't come off as a douche! Love you man!
    -Elliot

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast