AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ordered from Macs up in Washington

Default Re: Ordered from Macs up in Washington

All,
    Sorry, I didn't see the angle of posting (indirectly advertising for...) non-SD sponsor. My apologies. I've purchased discus from 4 sponsors here and 3 hobbyists who are members. I do think it's important to hear good, bad, ugly from outside of here though. The fish from Mac's are fast growing and thick... but Steve ("Mac") might be a little frustrated with me since I believe (I know) one fish is a PB instead of the RR I ordered (I'm not a fan of PBs). He still thinks I haven't waited long enough and that it's a RR but unfortunate for him his fish are the fastest-growing I've experienced... therefore, pretty easy to tell. I wanted a RR and paid for 5 fish so the shipping was free... I'll take money back but Im still a little frustrated. On flip side, the other 4 are doing outstanding.

So... that's the unfiltered feedback (I've never received PB in place of a brown-based red before... big difference... that's not sitting good with me)
    Last edited by pastry; 06-01-2020 at 12:55 AM.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks for info Elliot. I’m new to this site and not understanding what’s going on. I like to read the pro and cons of a breeder. What could be wrong with that? Are you saying if there not a sponsor you can’t talk about there fish? Again not getting what’s going on in this thread. The removed posts and all. But if it’s within the rules can you put up some pics.

Registered Member

Elliott, is this the RR that you are referring to? http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-RED-RIO-PURUS Should you search the RRP there is almost nothing about the specific fish which might suggest that the name is a designer label exclusive to Mac's. If so then possible this fish may have pigeon blood something via cross or inbreeding? Which would give to you the sense that it is a PB? I had read earlier this week in the thread about the question of finding a cross that would create a gold color fish that mentioned the "dusting" found in browns. The dusting would be mistaken for the PB spots that you are noticing?

I believe that he is talking about a Rose Red. There is no problem with reviews of fish from non sponsors.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

We simply didn't want to hijack someone else's post, so negative non-personal experiences and opinions were deleted. It was done as a courtesy to the original poster. There's nothing wrong in any other way...

Alright, final result:

BLUF: Happy & unhappy... Happy with 4 out of the 5 fish since noticeably fastest growing I've experienced (still young and want to see how the 2 RCs and 2 emerald green develop but at least they aren't PBs). Not happy with Mac's Discus refunding me for one fish since:

-you have to buy at least 5 2" discus for free shipping (which prices are HIGH because the shipping costs are built in... plus cost per fish after that still arguably high)

-I only needed 3 but fell for scheme above and didn't mind since trying him out and never had someone send me a PB when I ordered a non-PB

-I only have 1 tank!!!!! And I STATED to him my goal was all brown based reds (yes, I added 2 emerald green but I was fine breaking my own rule with them IF the look anything like his 30 year old pic of them)

-He got mad I didn't wait a month or 2 but only 2 weeks of development to come back and say it's still not a RR (or any type of non-freaking-PB!). He said PBs don't have stripes. I'm sorry, but some do. The eye stripe of mine is actually made up of peppering. The body vertical bars are like a photo negative... defined clear stripes that interrupt peppering.
    -Oh, and early on he asked for a review on EGs and I gave him a damn good, detailed, long review ... even about great communication and service (I can't take down... on his site). Hell, I supported him.

End state: I've never had a problem with any SD sponsor (or even member hobbyist!). YES, I'm amazed with his discus' growth... amazing.
    But the RCs appear that they could be typical tankbred, Alenquers rather than RCs... I'm fine with that.
    The EGs do not have solid sheens but instead may be RTs (we'll see... hope I'm wrong but most solid sheens I've dealt with don't have pronounced patterns at any stage of development).
    Sending me a PB after he knew my wife was going to let me have it (I ordered without telling her ) and knowing that he still made a profit by refunding 1 discus is not enough. That's bad business in my book (by far not horrible... we've all witnessed worse... but still isn't "fair" for both parties).

Lesson learned for me (I learn the hard way often!): Not doing that one again.

-THE END
    Last edited by pastry; 06-01-2020 at 09:16 PM.
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Alright, final result:

BLUF: Happy & unhappy... Happy with 4 out of the 5 fish since noticeably fastest growing I've experienced (still young and want to see how the 2 RCs and 2 emerald green develop but at least they aren't PBs). Not happy with Mac's Discus refunding me for one fish since:

-you have to buy at least 5 2" discus for free shipping (which prices are HIGH because the shipping costs are built in... plus cost per fish after that still arguably high)

-I only needed 3 but fell for scheme above and didn't mind since trying him out and never had someone send me a PB when I ordered a non-PB

-I only have 1 tank!!!!! And I STATED to him my goal was all brown based reds (yes, I added 2 emerald green but I was fine breaking my own rule with them IF the look anything like his 30 year old pic of them)

-He got mad I didn't wait a month or 2 but only 2 weeks of development to come back and say it's still not a RR (or any type of non-freaking-PB!). He said PBs don't have stripes. I'm sorry, but some do. The eye stripe of mine is actually made up of peppering. The body vertical bars are like a photo negative... defined clear stripes that interrupt peppering.
    -Oh, and early on he asked for a review on EGs and I gave him a damn good, detailed, long review ... even about great communication and service (I can't take down... on his site). Hell, I supported him.

End state: I've never had a problem with any SD sponsor (or even member hobbyist!). YES, I'm amazed with his discus' growth... amazing.
    But the RCs appear that they could be typical tankbred, Alenquers rather than RCs... I'm fine with that.
    The EGs do not have solid sheens but instead may be RTs (we'll see... hope I'm wrong but most solid sheens I've dealt with don't have pronounced patterns at any stage of development).
    Sending me a PB after he knew my wife was going to let me have it (I ordered without telling her ) and knowing that he still made a profit by refunding 1 discus is not enough. That's bad business in my book (by far not horrible... we've all witnessed worse... but still isn't "fair" for both parties).

-THE END
    what does 'BLUF' mean?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Bottom Line Up Front, also used often by military. Really hope the greens turn out well, or I can find elsewhere.
    Let us know, thanks.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Alright, final result:

-THE END
    Do a followup review Elliot and see if it ends up on the website. That could help to reveal the character of the man.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    what does 'BLUF' mean?
    I did not know what bluf was either and apparently "rr" is Red Rose and not Red Rio, which is another RR fish. Acronyms are a disservice to any language. Not only are they a lazy person's way of constructing a sentence but if one who is attempting to understand the meaning of message and does not know, as you did, what the acronym means the message is lost. We had one recently "GL/GLSS? Would that be a Golden Loliipop or Golden Leopard? A GL/GLSS would be either of the two GS plus Snake Skin.

Real Name
    Steve

It was easier before there were so many different strains. Golden Leopard and Golden leopard Snakeskin have been around for a while so you still see the acronyms.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    It was easier before there were so many different strains. Golden Leopard and Golden leopard Snakeskin have been around for a while so you still see the acronyms.
    Agree, yet someone new to all of this is going to be lost as a result of the acronyms. The company that I work for had to publish a glossary for its employees because the acronyms were rampant. One would empathize with a new hire in that regard. I recently ordered an IR SG from Kenny. Without looking do you know what it is?

Real Name
    Steve

LOL, I think Inca Red, only because I looked at his posting, not sure about SG

Registered Member

Hi ho,Steve-a-reno! Hard to slip one by you. Yes, Ica Red and the SG is "select-Grade".

Pat, I can already tell you a bad one wouldn't make it through. It's one of those where site owner reviews before allowed to post.
    -Elliot

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast