AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Another pair of homebreds spawning.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Another pair of homebreds spawning.

So, would these parents be both intermediate and carry the albino gene. Is "intermediate" what they would be called? The adults look beautiful.

Real Name
    Tom

My albino Dantums hard time me like I am a beginner !
    I would cater to them a little Liz.
    They are special fish in every ones eyes and knowing how discus fry are raised naturally they may need a little help .
    I took a cue from Willie that he mentioned once and have red LED lights over my dantum tank and for fry if I ever get to try again .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

They call them intermediates or recessive for the trait.
    Mama Bear

My moon light is pink. Would that work? It sure would be nice to get an idea what was going on in the tank.

I'm catering to them as well as I can, Tom. It's not my usual thing to lower water level and take the sponge out. I change water with buckets and that is really my usual thing because my back hates me for it. I still saw 4 little white dudes swimming close to the front of the tank after WC tonight. I think I had 8 on the cone. Either the other 4 are attached or they were eaten or they were so weak that they just died.
    Mama Bear

Just an update. I did the most I was willing to do helping the albino fry to survive. If I were to raise the Albinos I would have to put the pair in a closet, from what Cliff said. I could do it. I just don't think that doing that would be worth the effort to me at least now when I'm excited to get fry from a cleaned up pair that I like enough to be proud of. The fry will be my first fry home bred fry who will not be infected with parasites. I can't wait to see what I get from them. If they trow albinos what other weird gene could be hiding in them.

I saw no white babies swimming around this morning. It was killing me not to be able to see my most important fish. I turned on all the normal lights. I can't tell how many fry I have for sure but it could be as few as a dozen. Dad takes care of them mom seems to totally ignore them and they her. Surely they will spawn again and eat these. Next time they will know what they're doing and there will be more fry so I'm fine with it.

It's strange to me that these fish have been so hard to get breeding. I used to have Discus that bred easily. First time, BOOM a gazillion fry. I have no clue why these are so hard. Their father was hard but he had an excuse.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I have a theory. I to used to be able to find pairs that would spawn often and always. Two years ago I put six hybrid tougher and have yet to get a spawn from them. I purchased 3 wild cross last year. Excluding the runt the remaining two males have both tried to spawn. One is trying with a Blue Scorpion but I think they are the gay, two males. But the other wild cross I put with a wild cross I got just last month and they have spawned once with fry and today I see them pecking on the flower pot which could lead to a second spawn. I suspect that the inbreeding, back breeding, and the cross breeding has some how so domesticated these fish that the spawning instinct is going away from them. Also, growth chemicals and color additives to foods play a part. Recent success was Frank. He got a nice batch of browns. Easiest to spawn in my opinion is brown and not too many generations removed from true wild parents. I am beginning to think that when breeders or sellers offer proven pairs of hybrid for $500.00 that it might be a good deal in these modern times.

Real Name
    Francis

Liz......how do you clean up the potential pairs and with what treatments ?

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Just an update. I did the most I was willing to do helping the albino fry to survive. If I were to raise the Albinos I would have to put the pair in a closet, from what Cliff said. I could do it. I just don't think that doing that would be worth the effort to me at least now when I'm excited to get fry from a cleaned up pair that I like enough to be proud of. The fry will be my first fry home bred fry who will not be infected with parasites. I can't wait to see what I get from them. If they trow albinos what other weird gene could be hiding in them.

I saw no white babies swimming around this morning. It was killing me not to be able to see my most important fish. I turned on all the normal lights. I can't tell how many fry I have for sure but it could be as few as a dozen. Dad takes care of them mom seems to totally ignore them and they her. Surely they will spawn again and eat these. Next time they will know what they're doing and there will be more fry so I'm fine with it.

It's strange to me that these fish have been so hard to get breeding. I used to have Discus that bred easily. First time, BOOM a gazillion fry. I have no clue why these are so hard. Their father was hard but he had an excuse.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Metro, PP, levamisole.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Great advice Liz ....for treating round worms,Hexamita and parasites for future breeding pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Metro, PP, levamisole.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567