AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Another pair of homebreds spawning.

Default Re: Another pair of homebreds spawning.

Scroll up a bit to the pic I took the other day. See those white eggs still on the cone? I thought until this morning that they were white eggs but this morning I see those white things have wiggling tails? Albinos? What else could it be? And these guys are domestics, after all, so who know's what in their genetics. They'll be free swimming soon. I turned the light to "moonlight". and turned off the over head fluorescent in the fish room. I'll lower the water level when I do WC this evening.

Now, I am not at all a fan of Albino Discus. I had Kenny import the first ones into the country for me after I saw a pic from a show in Asia. It was an Albino Blue Diamond. The most beautiful Discus I had ever seen. They were only about 2 1/2" and cost an arm and a leg. I grew them to adult size. I could see that I had both males and females but they never once showed any interest in breeding. When I was forced to move from Alabama back home to Mississippi suddenly, I sent them to George Garcia, who some of you might remember. He worked with them as well and was never able to get them to breed for him either. Ever since then I've been totally off Albinos. Still, it would be fun to see if I could raise these guys, and what they turn out looking like. I for sure won't keep them for breeding because they simply are not my cup of tea.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz, there is probably some hidden gene that
    is surfacing could be from the grandparents
    some call this the Mendel generation.

I do remember George in Arizona, send him
    couples orders of Discus, one was my homebred
    Albinos probably over 15 years ago before
    the US had them.

Cliff

It was a year before or a year after I got my ABD's from Kenny via who knows what wholesaler. The the weird thing is that I'm all excited about these little guys even though I'm over albino Discus.

I just looked again and I see fewer of them. One of the parents just sucked one up from somewhere and tried to spit it back on the cone. These Albino babies are much weaker than non albino fry. I imagine you raised yours artificially. Artificial is against my "religion" for some reason. It's one of my idiosyncrasies.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

The fellow who reintroduced me to discus by giving me a complete tank and gear one who has raised discus and angels for more that 40 years told me that when his discus spawn he does not react to it or adjust anything. What he gets in the way of next generation is what he gets. In that regard I can understand the idiosyncrasy.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It was a year before or a year after I got my ABD's from Kenny via who knows what wholesaler. The the weird thing is that I'm all excited about these little guys even though I'm over albino Discus.

I just looked again and I see fewer of them. One of the parents just sucked one up from somewhere and tried to spit it back on the cone. These Albino babies are much weaker than non albino fry. I imagine you raised yours artificially. Artificial is against my "religion" for some reason. It's one of my idiosyncrasies.
    Yes, most of the albino are raise artificially but when I was on vacation there were two albino pairs raising the fry in pitch dark lighting.

Cliff

That's pretty cool, Cliff. And good info, too. My kids are leaving the cone but won't likely leave it in earnest in the morning. Water level is low, sponge is out, bubbler on low and the only light is one from the laundry room which is very dim. I'm not going to check on them again before morning. I have done what I can. Nothing to do now but hope for the best.
    Mama Bear

The kids attached overnight, at least the majority of them did. There weren't that many to start with...When I turned on the room lights I saw white ones swimming around the tank, lost. I don't know if they were lost or not when the light was out. After I got through feeding I turned the lights back off. I can't see anything going on with the ambient light in the fish room.

I'm worried about WC later. I imagine I'll use buckets to disturb them less. I'm also worried about leaving the tank without a sponge and only bubbles that are turned down low. I'm going to town today and will get large white stockings to put over the sponge so I can put it back in.

I shouldn't worry so much. If this spawn fails, they'll spawned again. Since they know what to do now, I'm sure the next spawn will be bigger and the parents will do better with them.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I'm worried about WC later. I imagine I'll use buckets to disturb them less. I'm also worried about leaving the tank without a sponge and only bubbles that are turned down low. I'm going to town today and will get large white stockings to put over the sponge so I can put it back in.
    Great news Liz! What I usually do is remove the sponge filter through the day and put it back in overnight, I do that for 3-4 days usually until the young have fully attached and haven't had any issues. I'm not really feeding the parents for these few days anyway so there's less pollution than normal. I left it in with my current brood as the fry were already free swimming and attaching by the time I went out to them in the morning. They were all over the sponge but the parents just sat close to it and the fry kept swapping back and forth between the two.

Thanks, Kev.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

Cute little things. Hoping for the best
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Albino fry!! That's really cool Liz. The genetic diversity is like lucky dip. Looking forward to seeing what your pair throws out, and I hope you get a good selection of stock to continue to progress your project! Blessings sis

Thanks, Danny. You're an
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

The kids attached overnight, at least the majority of them did. There weren't that many to start with...When I turned on the room lights I saw white ones swimming around the tank, lost. I don't know if they were lost or not when the light was out. After I got through feeding I turned the lights back off...
    I've never spawned albino discus before, but experience with albino angelfish was that the fry was extremely light sensitive. Bright light would actually blind them. You had to use subdue overhead light, and put a towel over the tank otherwise, for about a week free swimming. Certainly this is not true of albino guppies or other fish, but discus and angels are more closely related. If those free swimming fry are white, then they are albinos.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Willie

These Albino babies are much weaker than non albino fry. I imagine you raised yours artificially. Artificial is against my "religion" for some reason. It's one of my idiosyncrasies.
    I've never raised discus fry artificially. But having seen this done in Bing Seto's nursery a long time ago, it's not particularly difficult to do. Three feedings a day was sufficient.

Based on the enormous efficiency improvement, every single discus we buy from Asia is likely artificially raised.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Willie, I will not cater to these albinos any more than I already am. They're just an unexpected cool byproduct of what I want to breed. I just turned on the overhead so I could feed the fish lunch. The Discus breeding tank is still quite dark. I can see that (mostly) dad has fry attached, but from what little I could see they were all non-albino. I did see two white ones swimming around the front of the tank. The parents stay more to the rear of a tank.

I imagine this would be a valuable pair to some because they do produce a percentage of albinos that could be artificially raised. But they are a more valuable to me for other reasons.
    Mama Bear

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast