ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another pair of homebreds spawning.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Another pair of homebreds spawning.

You are a true breeder Liz...it'll happen...I apologise for the angst immature males cause you

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Second spawn yesterday afternoon. By WC time this afternoon the eggs were all white...again!!! What's up with this big fine male? Could he really be so stupid that he didn't get it the second time around. Thank God I'm stubborn as hell and always hope for the best.

I can breed Bristlenose. I can breed Rainbow Fish, I can breed Angels, I can breed Gourami's but these Discus, my passion, have me beating my head against the wall.
    Just today I moved what I think is a pair to a 20 gallon of their own. Bare bottom with only a cone. This is a suspected pair, not a proven pair. So I am coming to know your frustrations. I will keep track of you and your effort. Maybe we can both become successful. I think so.

Danny, you have a way of putting setback into the best light

Peewee, I wish us both success.
    Mama Bear

Perhaps the third time is the charm. They spawned as I was doing WC on the rest of the fish room. The male mostly hid behind the cone as mama was laying down eggs. But after a lot of encouragement, shaking and flirting from the female she urged him out and he made passes. The first were half hearted runs but he got a little better as spawning went on. I did see his little pointy talliewacker down. This time there is real hope. The male is a good fish, the female not as good, but she will do.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Hopefully, they will be viable. Anticipating ...

FINGERS CROSSED LIZ!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Fingers crossed here too Liz
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

Fins, paws, hoof's & flippers crossed here too mate

As of 24 hrs from spawning there are sill some eggs that are not white. I'll know the truth of it in the morning. I hate to whine, but I will this once. It's so frustrating to try and try and try and try again and again and every time be disappointed that I've become used to failure. I know that I've done everything in my power to breed a line of my very own. If I'm overlooking something I don't know what it could possibly be. Perhaps tomorrow will bring good news.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

Standing with you Mama Bear, lending my hope to you & your wait!

Thanks Danny. You are a compassionate soul. I'll know when I wake up in the morning if there are any viable eggs. If not, I'll just let them try again. It's easier on my heart to expect the worse and get the best than when I do it the other way around. Success after trying so hard is the most satisfying. Success comes or not on it's own schedule.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

As of 24 hrs from spawning there are sill some eggs that are not white. I'll know the truth of it in the morning. I hate to whine, but I will this once. It's so frustrating to try and try and try and try again and again and every time be disappointed that I've become used to failure. I know that I've done everything in my power to breed a line of my very own. If I'm overlooking something I don't know what it could possibly be. Perhaps tomorrow will bring good news.
    I understand that you are doing something and I suspect that you have had successful spawns before but what is it exactly that you are attempting to do?

I want to breed my own line of very blue spotted snake skins. The grand daddy of ones I'm working with now was a domestic red spotted green. He was show quality back then. He's showing his age now and none of his daughters choose him as a mate. He's my favorite fish. The mother was a blue diamond snake skin cross who showed some spotting.

Despite all my disasters raising these spawns the small discreet spots that I love are there in the snake skins but not the turks which is strange but true. I know that my adults can't match the flashiness of the eruptions, but eruptions turn me off. They look like artificial flowers. It's just my taste but I prefer a beautiful but more understated look in my line. I want to breed good fish that are obviously made by me.

I hope that made sense. I don't expect to reach my goal but the pleasure is more in reaching for a goal than achieving it. Breeding a line is an ongoing process not a poof success kind of thing. Sometimes I just get frustrated with the slow progress.

I need to take pics of the spawn I got from a lesser quality pair than these two. They're young so no pattern yet but the shape is good on most all of them.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 06-06-2020 at 10:28 PM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I want to breed my own line of very blue spotted snake skins. The grand daddy of ones I'm working with now was a domestic red spotted green. He was show quality back then. He's showing his age now and none of his daughters choose him as a mate. He's my favorite fish. The mother was a blue diamond snake skin cross who showed some spotting.

Despite all my disasters raising these spawns the small discreet spots that I love are there in the snake skins but not the turks which is strange but true. I know that my adults can't match the flashiness of the eruptions, but eruptions turn me off. They look like artificial flowers. It's just my taste but I prefer a beautiful but more understated look in my line. I want to breed good fish that are obviously made by me.

I hope that made sense. I don't expect to reach my goal but the pleasure is more in reaching for a goal than achieving it. Breeding a line is an ongoing process not a poof success kind of thing. Sometimes I just get frustrated with the slow progress.

I need to take pics of the spawn I got from a lesser quality pair than these two. They're young so no pattern yet but the shape is good on most all of them.
    Thank you for taking the time to explain in detail. I would like to say that at least I expect that you will reach your goal. Something that Forrest once told me about breeding and expectations. We will both agree that he knows what the heck he is talking about? Forrest said that that I should expect that it will take many trys, "..., aim on what u want them to be, it could be lots of failures on top of generations, choose the best that look like what u want then inbreed again after a generation.' '...in the end, yet, it still can be failure after generations, its a pain but yet its fun for one who love to breed discus. it is not easy to breeder..."

With regard to the turks...the Russians once had a 200 year issue with the Ottoman Empire. So they too apparently did not like the Turks. I don't like to date myself but I will say that my discus breeding began when only wilds or first generation wilds were available. I got away from it with son Little Ricky and his sometimes wonderful sister Ellie Mae come along. Thirty years later I got back to it. But what happened? A multitude of colors by the hundreds. I could not even decide which 5 fish to order from Kenny. I tell you this because I did get a Blue Scorpion because blue is what I wanted. Today that blue boy is cleaning a spot for his yellow partner. But the blue does have red spots. Not what you wanted but I suspect if I get a 50 50 fry mix that some of those BS should have red spots.

Well, I'm hoping that the 4th time will be the charm. The breeding was done after lights out so I never actually witnessed it, but I did see that the male was more engaged in the flirting part. When I saw the eggs when I went down this morning he was guarding them instead of hiding behind the cone. At least progress is being made.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast