ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another pair of homebreds spawning.

Real Name
    Julian

Default Re: Another pair of homebreds spawning.

Good luck, Liz, hope you're getting it this time, I 'm right now kind of in the same situation, have a new form pair of reds that keep eating their wrigglers, just before being free swimming, as they move their wrigglers to different locations, with success and them just before becoming free swimming they disappear.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Have you tried putting a cage over the eggs. More often than not a cage works.

My guys are making progress but it's still no go. I had what looked like fertile eggs last night but this morning the fertile ones are gone and all I have left are the white ones.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Julian

Yes, I going to give them a couple more tries before the mesh , They were actually doing good moving the wrigglers , something most upset them off.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Real Name
    Tom

I see this all too often !
    Confusion or the thinking of an animal that will eat their own fry so others don't ?
    That is why I am bandit !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

I'd never make it as a bandit. I get too much enjoyment out of seeing it done the way the fish were born to do it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Julian

Same with me, I did the artificial a few years ago with albinos, not worthy, or enjoyable .

Round 5 (ding). I missed the action but when I saw them afterward the male had his tallywacker down.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz,
    What happen to the last batch, was the male not fertilizing the eggs?

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Round 5 (ding). I missed the action but when I saw them afterward the male had his tallywacker down.
    Gear down.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Liz,
    What happen to the last batch, was the male not fertilizing the eggs?

Cliff
    Cliff, last time they spawned during the night so I saw neither the deed nor the tallywacker. I had hope because the male showed an interesting in caring for the eggs, but they all turned white after a couple of days. This time I have much more hope because I actually saw the lowered gear. This morning he was nice and dark fanning away.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Cliff, last time they spawned during the night so I saw neither the deed nor the tallywacker. I had hope because the male showed an interesting in caring for the eggs, but they all turned white after a couple of days. This time I have much more hope because I actually saw the lowered gear. This morning he was nice and dark fanning away.
    Based on your experience with this particular pair I wonder how much time I want to devote to the suspected pair that I am keeping. They make all of the signals including cleaning. They have done this for months. No eggs yet so I am thinking about swapping the male with another. Although this pairing I like. How much time have you devoted to the pair that your have been posting about in this thread?

Just since the beginning of May. I won't quit on them any time soon, either. Especially since they're making progress each time.

Rather than giving the female another mate, try putting another male in with them. See if the competition helps get the ball rolling.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Yes, I watched a You Tube video last week, some scruffy Australian guy, I think? He puts the 3rd male into the breeder. I could put that handsome bad boy in the tank. The one who was trying all the time to include himself in the process while all were in the community tank. Thanks, Liz. I will wait a bit then if nothing that is what I will do.

Time to wait for the bell for round 6 to ring. I think I'll cage the eggs for round 6.
    Mama Bear

Ding! Round 6 has begun. I just went down and saw the male making passes over his good lady's eggs. I got to thinking that it was a false alarm during the PP treatment. But when the treatment was done, I moved the sponge too close to the spawn and I upped the air since I PP eats O2. I moved the sponge away and turned down the air to it this morning and they started loving up the cone again. I was going to cage the eggs this time, but since I saw dad doing the right thing this time I think I'll give them one more try without it.

I have this weird thing about all species. If your not smart enough to love and tend to your kids and raise them to the best of your ability you're not breeding quality. I make an exception for a cage over the eggs, but that's about all. I'm just weird this way. I can't help it.
    Mama Bear

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast