AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Heater Metaframe

Registered Member

Default Heater Metaframe

I found a Metaframe 88 LA. Who would know what the wattage is? 88W I would suspect. I tried to Google but did not see it noted.

Registered Member

Default Re: Heater Metaframe

I wonder if this is the same company that made Metalframe tanks. Metalframe tanks were make by Matell by in the 60s.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I wonder if this is the same company that made Metalframe tanks. Metalframe tanks were make by Matell by in the 60s.

Cliff
    It is Mattell, Cliff. I found the heater in storage room. I am going to set up a 40 gallon and get a buh tload of fish from Kenny and set up a 30 gallon tank for a pair that I want to breed. I want to use that Metaframe filter for the 30 gallon if it has enough watts but the watts are not noted on the label nor can I find anything about it on Google. I think it is mid 70s vintage.

Registered Member

Don't know about heaters, but if memory serves, Metaframe was the brand name for tanks manufactured by Mattell in, I think, Patterson, NJ starting in the early 60's. They had black marbled metal frames, or stainless frames, with slate bottoms, all held together with a black sticky goo and usually a stainless hood that got ridiculously hot. That was about the only game in town, and I had several back in the day, but none survive in my fish room although they are seen in estate sales sometimes. HTH
    Richard

I find it hard to believe that anyone has the space to have collected fish stuff for so many years. I remember those tanks from that time, but I sure don't still have them.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ref0716 View Post
    Don't know about heaters, but if memory serves, Metaframe was the brand name for tanks manufactured by Mattell in, I think, Patterson, NJ starting in the early 60's. They had black marbled metal frames, or stainless frames, with slate bottoms, all held together with a black sticky goo and usually a stainless hood that got ridiculously hot. That was about the only game in town, and I had several back in the day, but none survive in my fish room although they are seen in estate sales sometimes. HTH
    Richard
    I used to use those Metalframe for Discus breeders. I had maybe 6 20 gallons going but all I could find in the storage was the aforementioned heater and one of those metal hoods that you mentioned. I would like to find those tanks rather than have to buy that 40 gallon beauty that I have my eye on at the LFS.

Real Name
    Tom

I would not use a heater that old .
    The tanks are collector items ,the heater sounds like a disaster [sad story] in the making ..
    Just me ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I find it hard to believe that anyone has the space to have collected fish stuff for so many years. I remember those tanks from that time, but I sure don't still have them.
    It takes a really large house, and a garage. But the house must not be big enough for me to find those tanks. I did however find a car in my garage, one that I bought in 1987, that I did not know that I had.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I would not use a heater that old .
    The tanks are collector items ,the heater sounds like a disaster [sad story] in the making ..
    Just me ..
    I thought the same. It could blow up and electrocute the fish. I will buy one that matches the aquarium that I get from the lFS. Tank, hood, light, and heater. I did find a filter that I can use but I do not know how old it is. Probably only 10 years old.

Keep digging. If they're there you will find them. I hope your a pack rat only for fish stuff. I was horrified when I cleaned out my fish junk closet. I still have more stuff to throw or give away, but I still cannot bring myself to part with a lot of it.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I found a Metaframe 88 LA. Who would know what the wattage is? 88W I would suspect. I tried to Google but did not see it noted.
    Peewee check this out Eric may be able to help you
    https://youtu.be/aRR74NWn2EY
    Jeanne