AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 2" fry and Al's QT deworming

Registered Member

Default 2" fry and Al's QT deworming

The ocd in me wants to try Al's deworming during quarantine of my new 2 inchers. Can this size handle the prazi and levamisole meds?

Registered Member

Default Re: 2" fry and Al's QT deworming

Do they have worms? If not do not do it. Using chemicals unnecessarily
    can lead to other problems.
    Jay

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Do they have worms? If not do not do it. Using chemicals unnecessarily
    can lead to other problems.
    Jay
    Like what other problems?

Registered Member

Also it's very interesting on this forum how everybody acknowledges Al as an accomplished discus guru but nobody follows his quarantine plan with the meds. If it's good enough for Al, shouldn't it be good enough for everybody else?

Real Name
    Brian

I follow Al's QT procedure but using levamosile is contingent upon the source of the new fish. For example, I got some discus from Al and I know his routine so I did not use. Others I got from Uncle Sam's and they were sick and infested and it took me 3 treatments to fully eradicate. I always treat with prazi just to keep them fluke free....

I don't. I don't like to medicate without a good reason. For me an asymptomatic pair should be treated for everything unless I had reason to do it in the recent past. If you want to be safe, follow Al's advice, especially if you're new to the hobby or your supplier is questionable. I've been doing Discus for 19 years so I follow my own rules.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    For me an asymptomatic pair should be treated for everything unless I had reason to do it in the recent past.
    I like your reasoning, but could you explain what you mean by this above?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    I like your reasoning, but could you explain what you mean by this above?
    I'm wondering if Liz meant to say a pair should not be treated unless you had a reason.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I'm wondering if Liz meant to say a pair should not be treated unless you had a reason.
    A pair of what? Nobody said anything about a pair of anything in this thread.

What I meant is that if you want the fry you expect to get to be free of parasites they should be treated even if you don't see symptoms in the parents. What ever parasites the parents have that their immune system keeps in check will be passed to their kids who will have a much less developed immune systems will not fair well. I learned this lesson the hard way when my apparently clean breeding pair had fry that after a couple of weeks showing symptoms of Hex. I caught it fast because I have experience, and started heat and metro right away. But it's a 12 day treatment and a lot of my fry died and many more had to be culled. If I could have given myself a good arse whuppin' I would have. Instead, I had to suffer the guilt of knowing that this was my own stupid fault.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What I meant is that if you want the fry you expect to get to be free of parasites they should be treated even if you don't see symptoms in the parents. What ever parasites the parents have that their immune system keeps in check will be passed to their kids who will have a much less developed immune systems will not fair well. I learned this lesson the hard way when my apparently clean breeding pair had fry that after a couple of weeks showing symptoms of Hex. I caught it fast because I have experience, and started heat and metro right away. But it's a 12 day treatment and a lot of my fry died and many more had to be culled. If I could have given myself a good arse whuppin' I would have. Instead, I had to suffer the guilt of knowing that this was my own stupid fault.
    Got it. Thanks Liz

Real Name
    Steve

Sorry, I was distracted and got it wrong. Yes, you were talking about you juvies, not a breeding pair. But sounds like Liz has made herself clear.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

If your juvie's are eating really well and growing I would not treat them at this time. The deworming meds are harsh and IMO can set your juvies back growth. Plus their less developed immune systems will have a harder time with the meds then when they are older.

As for following Al's QT process. I also follow it when I received new fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening