ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Breaking up a happy home - Forcing a pair

Registered Member

Default Breaking up a happy home - Forcing a pair

I have three novices to breeding. One male and two females. Laid eggs etc but havent hatched.

The male is currently with one female that has laid eggs a few times in the community tank but had her eggs eaten by others. They naturally paired off in the community tank. They are now separated by a partition in the community tank.

I just recently found the other fish that I now know is a female. She has the more desirable colors that I want the male to spawn with.

Has anyone successfully re-paired fish before? Any techniques or suggestions on how to do it?

I was thinking of putting the male and female that I want together into a 29g with a juvenile and give it time. That way things happen naturally and they wont know any better.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Default Re: Breaking up a happy home - Forcing a pair

Just put the pair you want into the 29 by themselves and keep your fingers crossed. Since they are young your chances are better. Sounds like you don't plan on QTing the new fish. It's your decision, but you will be taking a big chance.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Just put the pair you want into the 29 by themselves and keep your fingers crossed. Since they are young your chances are better. Sounds like you don't plan on QTing the new fish. It's your decision, but you will be taking a big chance.
    They're all my fish of months/years. Just now coming of age and interest to make babies

In that case, no problem. Good luck!
    Mama Bear