AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interest in SD Audio Community Q&A?

Default Re: Interest in SD Audio Community Q&A?

THANKS LIZ! Actually, is it alright to use you and Pat simultaneously in order to show the functionality of more than 2 people?
    -Elliot

You can use me any time, as long as you put up with my ignorance politely. ')
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Liz, absolutely no problem . You can just call in using your phone (no computer). In fact, maybe for the first time we could just use our phones only. All audio.

Phone instructions: phone number provided, enter the code when prompted, then press # (I could post phone, code, and time on SD for everyone)
    We do something like this to communicate in groups at work almost every day. If it works the same then it is as simple as a phone call plaus a code. At work we can mute or participate and with our system there is an Adobe option for charts and graph presentations.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    THANKS LIZ! Actually, is it alright to use you and Pat simultaneously in order to show the functionality of more than 2 people?
    Sounds good to me Elliot. PM Liz and I the information and the times you are available and we will get something setup.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I need help. I don't have an internal mic in my computer. I can't spend a bundle. I'm totally ignorant about tech stuff. How does this one look to you smart people? https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Om...s%2C291&sr=8-3

Also, I don't have broad band out there in the sticks. Will my wi fi connection be good enough? It's good enough to stream radio broadcasts.
    Liz, does your computer already have a camera. If you want I can rummage around and see if I can find an old camera and/or mic and just send it.
    As far as your WiFi speed, I assume that means you are using your phone as a hotspot to connect your computer to the internet.

Google OOKLA or go to www.speedtest.net and you can measure your download and upload speeds both on your computer and if you download the free app, on your phone.

You need 1.5 Mbps upload and if multi-users about 8Mbps down.

For the group, I know nothing about videoconferencing. My son suggested that Google Meets might be easier for the less experienced, AKA me.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

The numbers I gave were for videoconferencing, verizon 4G supports those speeds for me in NJ, not sure how good your coverage is where you are.

YOu all have started talking over my head. Forgive me, but I am a dummy with this stuff. I don't know how my phone connects to the computer. I know it does but I don't use it to brows the web or anything. I use the desk top for that. If my phone won't work for this project I'll probably just figure it's one of those things that I can't do.

Don, I do not have an external camera or mic. I went to Best Buy right when the virus started to be taken seriously to buy one and they were out of all but the real expensive ones. I check them on the internet a few times and the same thing was true then. I haven't looked in a while. The only reason I really want them is that my nephew and I are very close but he lives in London. He wants to be able to Skype me. If you have a couple of old unused laying around that you would be willing to part with I would love to have them. I don't want anything new and fancy, just something that will work.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Liz, did not mean to confuse the issue.
    When you said you did not have broadband, I assumed that meant you did not have access to internet other than through your phone.
    I used to Skype via a desktop, and had a plug in camera and mike. All that is in my laptop now and I don't even have a desktop, just dock it to a big monitor and keyboard. Whether that mic and camera is still around I am unsure but will do a search and happy to send if I can find, otherwise goes to recycle.

In order to skype you do have to have a minimum speed
    Google "OOKLA", the top site on that search will be:
    Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
    Click on that and it will bring up a safe website with a big button in the middle with GO in the center, click on that
    If will run a free test with 3 values, Ping, Download, and Upload, ignore all the other buyme junk.

Let me know what those 3 numbers are and I can let you know if Skype will work well via your desktop.
    Will let you know if I can find the camera/mic, if not maybe someone else out there has upgraded and stuck an old camera and/or mic in a box somewhere........

Your other option is to load the WhatsApp APP on your phone, get your nephew to do the same and viola, video chat via cell. Worked with my daughter, NJ to India, sometimes glitchy but usually OK. Used it most though for messaging due to time zone differential.

You are a saint, Don. If you find it shoot me a PM and we'll do the details. I'm sure I confused you when I said I had wi fi. The wi fi is from my computer to my phone. My computer is DSL. I could hook up a land line phone to it, but I don't see the need for one.

I'll do the OOKLA in the morning. I'm best if I do what I'm trying to understand how to do what I don't know how to do in the mornings when I'm fresh. You are a kind, generous and patient man.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

If you are running DSL you may or may not have sufficient speed. Years ago my kids called it definitely snail like but speeds have gotten better. Will look for the the stuff tomorrow, if I find will hook up to my computer to see if current windows has the drivers. What version of windows do you run?

I'll send you a PM, Don.
    Mama Bear

Liz & Pat, I really did have a great time talking with both of you! One thing left for me to do and that's to check if meeting link works within a post. If you want, I can use this thread, post a test link here, and do a quick 5 minute check tonight if either of you want. I won't keep you long at all
    -Elliot

If you do it today please do it after 6. I have WC to do and for various reasons I won't be able to get started by 4 as usual. If you want to do it another day, just choose the time that's good for you. I'll be there.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12