ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What are adult discus' bellies supposed to look like?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jake

Default What are adult discus' bellies supposed to look like?

So I've had more time in my hands due to the pandemic and I just stared at my fish tank for 3 hours lol. I just noticed my largest discus (he's 8.5in almost 9!! I hope I can get him to reach 9in) bus belly looks pinched. The front loos a bit small and the back looks big and bulky. I don't know how I just noticed this now. Maybe that's just how he looks? I usually feed 5 times a day, but due to the pandemic it's gone down to 2-3 times. Although I am able to push it back to 5 times from now on since I was able to make more beefheart and buy some frozen bloodworms.

Here is a front view photo:

https://m.imgur.com/a/5MPKgS2

It looks skinny bear the front belly then fatter near the back of the belly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JayDiscus; 05-21-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Default Re: What are adult discus' bellies supposed to look like?

I think you could go by with feeding them less, as trying to force feed them will lead to a quick decline in water quality. I used to feed mine to the point in which their bellies looked bloated, but the water would foul too quickly. Now I feed them much less, just mere morsels to satisfy their appetite- a quick snack here and there. Since they're just floating in the water they're not expending much energy anyways, so one doesn't have to feed them so much. Long story short, I became too lazy to change water often, so I stopped the high quantity feeds. I'm sure feeding until bloated would be the quickest way to grow them out though, but would require subsequent water changes.

Registered Member

Pork bellies were traded on the US stock market as "futures". Discus bellies are not as profitable.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Thanks for the insider tip. Looking to diversify my portfolio and was thinking of discus. Glad you steered me away from that one.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny95132 View Post
    Thanks for the insider tip. Looking to diversify my portfolio and was thinking of discus. Glad you steered me away from that one.
    Smart move, Johnny-boy! With regard to Discus bellies. The Discus, as it turns out, are not that much different from your average run of the mill house mutt, or cat, for that matter. Like their dog and cat brethren they too prefer to have their bellies scratched.