ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Acrylic Tank

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Default Brand New Acrylic Tank

So, I have a new tank being made and should be done this week sometime, hopefully.

Acrylic. 30x30x36
    140 gallons.

We have not had acrylic since our saltwater days.
    I love the look of the acrylic.

I do have a question for you all that have these tanks...
    If we have to medicate with any blue or green medication, will it stain the tank as it does an air line tubing?
    I don't remember it doing that, but I thought I would ask.
    Sure don't want that to happen!

Thanks for any info you can give me on this.

VincenZo

Registered Member

Default Re: Brand New Acrylic Tank

No it won’t.
    But, I cannot ever remember using methylene blue on discus. Or malachite green.

I’ve never had an ich outbreak.

I only use acrylic tanks and never had an issue with dyes in other systems

Real Name
    Willie

Methylene blue will stain the glue in all glass tanks, so I presume the same would happen to the glue in acrylic tanks, although I've never used acrylic ones.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Thanks for the replies.
    I hope I find no need to use these things either, but it was in my mind.
    I have heard Gabe likes to use Acriflavine.
    I think that has a strong dye to it. Yeah?

Thanks again

V

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Vinni. No idea why I can’t add pics in the pm section. Just curious why you picked your dimensions for your tank? I have 2 acrylic tanks. A 90 and a 125. My discus is the 125 and it’s 5’ long by 24deep and 18 wide. I find discus do like to swim . Ok this is my water changing filter instead of prime.BED95A79-7618-41F1-AFD0-579A02337954.jpgE89962DC-FFD0-4962-9B87-98ACF2557002.jpg23C71D96-1FD9-4F14-B798-6279236FD735.jpg.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Thank you for the pic of your filter. That helps a lot.
    One question, does that filter eliminate chlorine or reduce it.
    All I can find at the stores are ones that reduce chlorine.

I chose the dimensions of the tank because that is the only wall/corner I can put the tank in. The rest of our rooms are either taken up by windows, TV or piano.

36 long - 30 tall - 30 deep (front to back). I have always wanted a deep tank like that. It looks good to me when the fish are farther away when viewing. Much like in a public aquaria.

We are making the tank of 3/8" and are pretty confident it will be strong enough because there are not long strips over 36". If it were 4-5 feet, we then would have used 1/2"

Thanks again

Real Name
    Tom

Vinni it says reduces the chlorine taste. I do50% water changes 3 times a week with no problems. May want to get a scuba mask to reach the bottom of that tank . Good luck with it ! Looking forward to seeing pictures of it.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

DiscusGroup.jpg

Here is a pic of my current tank.
    56 gal.
    12 juvenile Discus and some rummies,neons corys and a pleco.
    Largest one is maybe 3 1/2"
    Smallest about the size of a 50 cent coin.
    No adults at this time.

Keeping it 88 degrees.
    PH is 6.8 here in Nashville.
    Very old established tank and filters.

Note: Dark fish behind Pigeon just came off of a hunger strike for about 2 weeks.
    Before I knew any better, I mixed fish from different dealers and different areas.
    Seems to be eating well now, but very thin and dark.

Hoping the new tank will be done this week.
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 05-24-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Methylene blue will stain the glue in all glass tanks, so I presume the same would happen to the glue in acrylic tanks, although I've never used acrylic ones.
    There is not glue in an acrylic tank is a chemical weld like bond, and I have acrylic's tanks medication will not permanently stain the tank, the only disadvantage of an acrylic tank is the easier to scratch plus price , and then is easier to remove scratches from acrylic than glass, so overall acrylic always be far superior to glass , glass is used more because initial price being cheaper.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Pardal View Post
    There is not glue in an acrylic tank is a chemical weld like bond, and I have acrylic's tanks medication will not permanently stain the tank, the only disadvantage of an acrylic tank is the easier to scratch plus price , and then is easier to remove scratches from acrylic than glass, so overall acrylic always be far superior to glass , glass is used more because initial price being cheaper.
    Another plus is the weight. Probably less than 1/3 the weight of a glass tank.

Real Name
    Tom

Nice looking discus. Where did you get them. Was the hunger strike fish added first. Or came later? Did you buy 2 groups of 6? My acrylics are both 3/8”. Some fish stop eating from stress of moving. Usually raising the temp gets them eating. But your allready pretty high. I would drop it down to 86 or 84. Gives you some room to raise it if there’s a problem. How often are you water changing. At that age it’s crucial to change water. Looks like your doing good cause they alllook healthy.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Nice looking discus. Where did you get them. Was the hunger strike fish added first. Or came later? Did you buy 2 groups of 6? My acrylics are both 3/8”. Some fish stop eating from stress of moving. Usually raising the temp gets them eating. But your allready pretty high. I would drop it down to 86 or 84. Gives you some room to raise it if there’s a problem. How often are you water changing. At that age it’s crucial to change water. Looks like your doing good cause they alllook healthy.
    Thanks. We like them.

1st batch of 5 came from an online dealer. (No name mention). 1 died and another stopped eating. I am not happy at all with this purchase. 2 of the 5 fish look and act fantastic. 1 died and 2 are probably culls. They were not cheap either.

2nd batch came from Macs Discus. All doing extremely well. They are the 5 small red ones. I really like that guy and his fish seem very strong.

3rd batch came from Aquatic Critter. They carry Hans' fish. 2 Blue Diamonds at first and then one Red Pigeonblood Checkerboard. This one stopped eating after 2 days in the tank. I think maybe just stress? I did not know about mixing breeders and how to add them. I found this forum just days ago.

Changing 50% water every other day if not every day.

PH here is 6.8 and water is hard.

Very established 8 year old tank. Had KOI Angelfish in it for years. Then fancy guppies for quite some time.

Have not kept discus since the 70s. Most every fish in the tank right now are voracious eaters. I am feeding them everything the lfs has to offer. They seem happy. Except for the two of them.

Other tanks are all filled with guppies and mollies at this time so I don't have a QTN tank. But this one will become my QTN when the new one arrives. Hopefully this week!

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post

This is the tank that I now buy my fish from. They are all Hans' fish.

Aquatic Critter Hans Discus.jpg

Registered Member

Who’s making the tank?

That’s a great size

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Who’s making the tank?

That’s a great size
    It is a local company here in Nashville called Plastic Supply. They are a plastic warehouse that also makes project for companies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast