AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: It’s been awhile...

Default It’s been awhile...

It’s pretty amazing popping back in after a very long absence and seeing so many familiar names- so many new to me as well. As with many others I’m finding I have a bit more free time at home. I hope to pop in more regularly again. Life just was so hectic with work and home, friends and family, discus and the reef tank- something had to give. Since mid March it goes without saying how much has changed in the world. For some though, it’s given us a chance to slow down a little and re-evaluate what’s important. I’ve been enjoying giving extra attention to my home and my fish. I’ll do some long overdue updates on the reef tank in the marine section soon. It’s been unbelievably educational and fascinating.
    The discus project has also evolved. After five years of time consuming water changes, I almost got out completely, but luckily I came to my senses. I ended up going in the opposite direction thanks to encouraging words from a dear friend and set my pair up in their own tank. I never thought about trying them since my tap ph holds at a high 8.4, brutal for eggs. I already had an r/o system in place for the reef and my lfs remains open and has a clean, consistent supply of live black worms and really great frozen foods for conditioning them. Why not give it a go? They had a nice batch of eggs within 24 hours but the male enjoyed them on his babysitting stretch on day two. They still looked fine so there’s hope. I have a cone guard on hand for the next batch. Barb- if you see this- the cone I purchased from you at NADA is a hit with them. No more filter tube or wall nurseries.
    So I just thought I’d pop in and say it’s so nice to see everyone, familiar and new. Pat, I always think of you when one of my discus is off and listen to what they cannot say out loud. They do talk. That was probably the most important lesson I ever learned here. Thank you for that. I’ll see you all again soon.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: It’s been awhile...

Hi Jenene! Let me be the first to welcome you back! Glad you are back into Discus, you have a lot of reading to do here since you have been gone. How nice to hear your fish are using my cone so well, hope you have a tank full of fry to help raise. I have just one tank of Discus now, 8 full grown Stendker Flachens, the most beautiful and healthy Discus I have ever had. Hope to see you here often,
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Jenene and welcome back. Glad you have found my signature useful. All the best on the breeding
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Hi Jenene! Let me be the first to welcome you back! Glad you are back into Discus, you have a lot of reading to do here since you have been gone. How nice to hear your fish are using my cone so well, hope you have a tank full of fry to help raise. I have just one tank of Discus now, 8 full grown Stendker Flachens, the most beautiful and healthy Discus I have ever had. Hope to see you here often,
    Barb
    Ha ha! Thank you Barb! Yes, I have a lot of reading to catch up on.
    I’m sure your discus are gorgeous. I’ll do my research and see what I can find on your posts since I’ve was away. I’ve lost my smaller weaker ones over the years. The remanning ones are beasts except for my one female. She’s “dainty.”

Thank you for the warm welcome back. Simply was my second home for quite awhile. It’s nice that the light was left on in the window. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Jenene and welcome back. Glad you have found my signature useful. All the best on the breeding
    Pat
    Thank you Pat, it’s nice to have time to wander back in.
    I’ve learned one thing by watching the ones who have tried their hand at breeding. You can control parameters and nutrition but that’s about it. It seems like patience seems to be your best bet with this. I’m thinking if I can succeed it will just be a one time personal goal. There is not a big market in Upstate New York for them. I’m definitely not in it for money. I know the work and cost behind it all. I do understand it’s an incredible process to witness if all goes well. My fish are not young but seem to be in good condition. We will see what happens.
    Thank you for the welcome back. I’ve always appreciated your dedication and contributions here and to the entire hobby. You’ve helped so many people over the years including me and I’m grateful. Meeting you at NADA was wonderful. I was hoping to get to this year’s event. I’m thinking things on that end are at a halt for a long time.
    It’s so good to still see you.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Meeting you also was a great experience Jenene at the last NADA show. I think the next one will be in 2022 if the cards fall in the right place.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Welcome back to Simply Discus Jenene. Things have certainly changed in the world. I saw on the news how bad things were going in the States, but especially in New York. Glad to see that you are still into Discus, as i thought that the reef tank might have taken over completely. I'm especially glad to hear that you are going to have a go at breeding your discus pair, and wish you all the very best with that. It certainly is challenging to get them to co operate sometimes, but I'm sure you will enjoy it.
    Looking forward to seeing updates on both your project.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Thanks Joe.
    Yes unfortunately it’s not just the states but the entire world will never be the same. I think about all my friends here from all over the world and hope everyone is safe.
    I remember telling myself I’d always have Discus. I almost bailed a few times but once bitten they never really leave you.
    The reef has been interesting and an unbelievable challenge but I still really enjoy the Discus more. I’m hoping the pair cooperates. I can wait them out. I have plenty of time.
    Thanks for the kind words.