ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Of A Feather?

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Default Fish Of A Feather?

I have learned a LOT from you folks so far.
    Up to 50% WC daily now. At least 'till the 140 acrylic tank arrives.
    Feeding my young fish multiple times a day.
    I would have never known these things had it not been for this forum.

One observation on these discus...
    They are definitely social beings.
    More so that that.
    Note: (and I have noticed this from raising chickens as well).
    If you have 2 or more of the same color type discus, they will pay much more attention to each other than to the others in the group.
    They seem to flock together.
    I have four different types of discus now and every one falls into this pattern.
    Now a grand total of 12 discus in this tank. Come on 140!

As a matter of fact, that brings up a big question I have for all of you.
    We recently brought home a Pigeon Blood Red Checkerboard.
    It is one of Hans' fish. Our lfs carries his discus only.
    It is about a 3" fish.
    In the store it was quite an active and spunky one.
    It was the first day in our tank as well.
    However, the past few days it seems much quieter and sad.
    No spots or clouded eyes and color is just as brilliant as when I brought it home.
    It is still eating good and no clamped fins but it is doing the same thing as my Diamond Blues did.
    It swims up to all the other fish, apparently trying to buddy up with them?
    It does not hold it's upper and lower fins high as it did originally.
    What I am wondering and asking is this. Is it missing it's own flock?
    It has been in this tank now for 4 days.

Funny thing when we raise chickens. I order them as day old babies. They are all raised in the same heated box with a lite. They are all put into the same pen and fed the same food. Yet, when they grow up, they all flock together with their own kind.

This is what makes me wonder about the actions of this Pigeon Blood.
    They have more of them at Aquatic Critter from the same batch.
    I am thinking to getting another one.

What do you think of this? Please let me know. They are open today and I can shoot over there and get another one.
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 05-24-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Fish Of A Feather?

I’m a big fan of 2 but it should fit in with the others in a week or 2. It’s fine as long as its eating. Are all your discus from Hans? Pictures would be nice.

Registered Member

I did not know that 2 Discus of the same color attracted to one another. All that I have are various colors. With the exception of 2 Alenquer, which are both brown. Both are male and the battles are frequent. On the other hand I have a small Red Heckel and none of the others in the tank give it any notice. The Heckel is half the size of the others.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Thanks Iminit.

I plan to do some pics and figure out how to post them here.

I made the big mistake of buying from 3 sources before I new any different. So far so good. But from now on, I plan to buy all my fish from the lfs here in Nashville. Aquatic Critter. They carry only Hans' discus.

Hans's fish sure do look totally different from other discus I have seen. They are stocky and strong looking. It seems to me, if you ever had a big problem in your tank, they would make it thru because they are not so frail. Just a quick observation on that.
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 05-24-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

peewee1

I am not sure that is the case. It just seems to me it is. That is why I am asking. Don't put much credit in my opinions on it yet. Down the road, after keeping these fish for some time, I will have a solid opinion then.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni Smith View Post
    Thanks Iminit.

I plan to do some pics and figure out how to post them here.

I made the big mistake of buying from 3 sources before I new any different. So far so good. But from now on, I plan to buy all my fish from the lfs here in Nashville. Aquatic Critter. They carry only Hans' discus.
    Most likely because you purchased the fish at the same time from three different you will come out okay as long as one of them is not sick. I think more of a problem when you spread out those different purchases over a greater time. I buy all from one source over the past 2 years but last month I was going to buy from another source that had a species that my usual source does not have. All of my fish come from Malaysia but those that I wanted to buy are from local breeder. I reason that should be okay. As long as you quarantine your newest fish for the six to eight weeks it would seem that you can purchase fish from more than one source.

I've noticed the same thing with mine. Same with my chicken. When I worked in a kennel for the summer the many house dogs would play chase. It would most often be a game between the black and tan team and the red team.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Okay, now we are approaching the "bird of a feather flocks together" theory.

Well, just look at humans. Don't we tend to do the same thing?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Vinni! Ok you’ve got a few threads running . I see I’ve been here already just thought it was some one else. Yes I’ve noticed the same with my discus. They do pair off with there own. I bought 6 from Hans 3 different types and a years later there still with the same colors. Bought 6 from a local store (maybe from the same breeder?) they too at first stayed with the same at first but 1 died and when the Hans fish were added 3 just swim with the group but 1 pair stays together still. Than the last ones I added come from uncle sams and they are 2 different color discus 1 red 1 brown. Now they were 5.5” when I got them. Wanted around the same size as the others. Now they swim with the group but do seem to pair up or check up on each other a lot. During this time I lost one fish. I had started feeding beef heart and I beleive it couldn’t digest it. It was fine than dead within about 3 days. Also one of Hans went on a 2week hunger strike. I raised the temp and added nutridiet discus flakes (with garlic) and it came out of its strike. So far I’ve been lucky with adding fish from different places.

I’ve seen the same going on here although I never really thought much of until now. I have had a mix of varieties in the tank all from Kenny. I have a Yellow Diamond that turned more orange despite my attempts to keep color enhancing additives out of the diet. She’s actually in my profile pic taken years ago. She’s paired with an Asian Pearl that also has similar colors despite all the other large and aggressive males she could have chosen. It’s not a very scientific conclusion on my part but with others seeing the same thing it’s certainly worth mentioning. Their behavior is definitely fascinating.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

I noticed you're siggy, Jenene. I'm glad that I'm not the only WC Fields fan here.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    I’ve seen the same going on here although I never really thought much of until now. I have had a mix of varieties in the tank all from Kenny. I have a Yellow Diamond that turned more orange despite my attempts to keep color enhancing additives out of the diet. She’s actually in my profile pic taken years ago. She’s paired with an Asian Pearl that also has similar colors despite all the other large and aggressive males she could have chosen. It’s not a very scientific conclusion on my part but with others seeing the same thing it’s certainly worth mentioning. Their behavior is definitely fascinating.
    Because what I reading here I thought that because I only have 1 Heckel who seems to stay alone. I bothers no one and no one bothers it that I would get a second Heckel in the event that your observations are correct.

We're just throwing around are observations but you may want to get another and see what happens. Is your existing Heckel male or female?
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I noticed you're siggy, Jenene. I'm glad that I'm not the only WC Fields fan here.
    Ha ha yes Liz, kind of an obscure fun fact.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast