AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What’s stuck with you?

Default What’s stuck with you?

After being gone for awhile I have been thinking about posts I’d either read or even started myself about water, behavior, equipment, triumphs and tragedies. When Barb reminded me I had some catching up to do she wasn’t kidding. It got me thinking... Is there something that stands out above everything for you? Is it sound advice or a piece of equipment that saved you time and given your fish a better living environment? Maybe it was just some reassurance similar to what I recently saw shared in the Pandemic Starved Fish thread. I know that feeling of relief when I thought things were going terribly wrong and then find out from a more experienced member that it will be okay. Cleaner water (always) or a tweak of something I was doing not quite right. I’ve learned these fish can seem extremely resilient and a few weeks later fall ill or die for some unknown cause.
    Each thing becomes our own individual experience with so much being shared here.
    So if there is one thing that stands above the normal day to day...new members or those that have been hanging around forever..something that has stuck with you. I know I’d love to hear it. I’m thinking the curious others would as well.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Marcus

Default Re: What’s stuck with you?

I have not been a member long but have read many threads. What stands out for me is there is no perfect fool proof way to raise these fish. There's a whole lot of factors that can give you success and many that can cause you to fail. You can have issues simply by where you purchase your fish, to what your water is like and how much water you change. I have seen many say that these fish are not sensitive or they're not difficult to care for. I would say that those are incorrect statements. You have to be very dedicated to insure their health. The average fish keeper would fail because they're use to fish that can be neglected. I do appreciate that many here are willing to give advise and assist in any way they can to new discus owners.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusP View Post
    I have not been a member long but have read many threads. What stands out for me is there is no perfect fool proof way to raise these fish. There's a whole lot of factors that can give you success and many that can cause you to fail. You can have issues simply by where you purchase your fish, to what your water is like and how much water you change. I have seen many say that these fish are not sensitive or they're not difficult to care for. I would say that those are incorrect statements. You have to be very dedicated to insure their health. The average fish keeper would fail because they're use to fish that can be neglected. I do appreciate that many here are willing to give advise and assist in any way they can to new discus owners.
    Well said and I agree. The ranges of water temperature, change, foods, and chemistry can be general parameters rather than specific for one to successfully enjoy keeping discus. Agre that one should be vigilant as to the health or condition of newly purchased fish.

Nothing really to contribute here without thinking more about it, but just wanted to say it's nice to see you back, Jenene !

Actually, she made this post about a month ago.
    Mama Bear