AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine & Chloramine

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Default Chlorine & Chloramine

Since I don't really have space available for ageing water, does anyone know of a good product to check for chlorine?
    It would be nice to have a way to confirm my in line carbon filters are working and know when they need to be swapped out. I really don't trust the works for x months & x billion gallons the advertisements claim.

Registered Member

Default Re: Chlorine & Chloramine

Tetra EasyStrips 6-in-1 Aquarium Test Strips, from PetCo. And or Prime added to new water will eliminate that which was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingsarefun View Post
    Since I don't really have space available for ageing water, does anyone know of a good product to check for chlorine?
    It would be nice to have a way to confirm my in line carbon filters are working and know when they need to be swapped out. I really don't trust the works for x months & x billion gallons the advertisements claim.
    One thing you have to look out for any more especially if you live in the states is chloramines, which is a totally different animal if you will from chlorine, chlorine will disi pate within 24hr where as chloramines with articles I have read and I should probably post when I come across them ,chloramines have been detected up to 6 weeks and can only be removed chemically, so a quality product such as prime or safe is your best bet, and I do not believe a carbon filter will remove chloramines

Jeanne

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    One thing you have to look out for any more especially if you live in the states is chloramines, which is a totally different animal if you will from chlorine, chlorine will disi pate within 24hr where as chloramines with articles I have read and I should probably post when I come across them ,chloramines have been detected up to 6 weeks and can only be removed chemically, so a quality product such as prime or safe is your best bet, and I do not believe a carbon filter will remove chloramines

Jeanne
    Thank you, that's good info.
    I guess I need to do some more research on this then, might have to figure out how to treat water before it makes it in the tank.

Real Name
    Steve

And Safe is just the much cheaper powdered pond version of Prime, as I understand it.

Real Name
    Tom

I have used safe for years now and have no complaints .
    You can check your water supplier online and see if they use chlorine or chloramine .
    Pool supply stores sell chlorine test kits .
    I got mine from Charles /inkmaker ;
    Chlorine/Chloroamine - Double Strength OTO Test Reagent 4 ounce bottle, standard industrial/ hobbyist type testing solution. Three drops in 10 ml of water in a clear glass test tube, a yellow brown color indicates the presence of chlorine. ...
    4 oz bottle OTO double strength solution $12.50. Complete test kit - with dropper bottle, test bottle and instructions - all plus standard postage, about $7.00
    4 ounces = 15 drops per ml, 29 ml / ounce = 800+ tests. Solution stable for 12 months +.
    Taken from ;
    http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Very low levels of chlorarmine are toxic to fish so most test strips won't work. This is probably the cheapest option:

https://www.hannainst.com/hi761-total-chlorine-ulr.html

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    And Safe is just the much cheaper powdered pond version of Prime, as I understand it.
    Only three times cheaper once you correct the dosage.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

So I ordered some Safe...
    Since I don't have any sort of transfer tank what is going to be the best way to add it to the tank?

Add to the tank before filling or after filling?

Also I'm hoping you can't over dose? My daily siphon can be pretty random depending on what I'm trying to get them to eat & how many poo's are made. lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

OK, just a little TSA for everyone out there.

Safe smells HORRIBLE... Open & mix with water outside, my office and hallway smelled like death fart.
    My wife thought I needed to go to the hospital. lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Lee

Im debating prime vs safe also. I plan change around 100g a week. Thats around 25 cents a week for prime. The liquid seems a little easier to get the right dosage.

Real Name
    Willie

I've been a confirmed Amquel/Prime guy for more than 2 decades. Recently I found a tub of Safe that I probably got at an auction years ago. After doing the calculations, I mixed up a stock solution for my tanks. It took less Safe powder to treat the same amount of chlormine than either AmQuel or Prime. I started using the stock solution about 3 weeks ago and it seems to work better than Amquel or Prime.

All of them can be used at 3X - 5X the recommended dosage without any negative effect on fish.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    After doing the calculations, I mixed up a stock solution for my tanks. It took less Safe powder to treat the same amount of chlormine than either AmQuel or Prime. I started using the stock solution about 3 weeks ago and it seems to work better than Amquel or Prime.
    Willie
    Whats does that mean. You mixed in it water for a solution for more than 1 use ? I read you cant make a solution out of it you must use after mixed with water.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Makko View Post
    Whats does that mean. You mixed in it water for a solution for more than 1 use ? I read you cant make a solution out of it you must use after mixed with water.
    Of course you can make a stock solution with it. In my case, 1 ml will treat 1 gallon of tap water. It's available for sale as a stock solution, but I buy the powder form.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I've been a confirmed Amquel/Prime guy for more than 2 decades. Recently I found a tub of Safe that I probably got at an auction years ago. After doing the calculations, I mixed up a stock solution for my tanks. It took less Safe powder to treat the same amount of chlormine than either AmQuel or Prime. I started using the stock solution about 3 weeks ago and it seems to work better than Amquel or Prime.
    To truly determine the cost effectiveness of dechlorinators you can't rely on the manufacturer's data nor can you assume the recommended dose of each product neutralizes the same amount of chlorine/chloramine neutralized.

I tested most of the popular dechlorinator products and determined their "strength" or "concentration" in terms of milligrams chloramine neutralized per milligrams of dry dechlorinating agent and milligrams chloramine neutralized per milliliter of liquid dechlorinating agent.

The next step was to find the prices for the typical sizes and calculate grams of chloramine neutralized per dollar. Not surprisingly, larger quantities and dry powder tended to be more economical.

Then I ranked dechlorinators by size and actual cost effectiveness.

The 4 kg Safe was barely in the top 50%.

All of them can be used at 3X - 5X the recommended dosage without any negative effect on fish.
    I recently dosed 40 mL of Prime into a 10 gal tank and dissolved oxygen levels barely budged.

Registered Member

Of course you can make a stock solution with it. In my case, 1 ml will treat 1 gallon of tap water. It's available for sale as a stock solution, but I buy the powder form.
    Seachem says not to do this but I never take their word. One of these days I'll mix up a stock solution and test its efficacy over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast