AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Quick portable RO Water Setup with Storage - AquaticLife

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Quick portable RO Water Setup with Storage - AquaticLife

Folks,

Building out my minirack system and decided to tackle the hardwater in Arizona and Sonora. Built it so that I could easily relocate it.

It's a 100GPD unit from AquaticLife... I wish I had gone 50GPD becuase I only have a 65gallon vessel, and it's just under 58 gallons once you install the float for automatic shutoff. I imagine when it's up and running I will be changing out less than 50 gallons a week (it's not a discus setup... it's planted / dwarf cichlids).

I installed a pressure regulator, pressure gauge, auto shut-off valve, flow restrictor on the waste, dirvert valve ont he flow restrictor, divert valve on RO water to throw out first 5 gallons (if desired) if the system is a bit idle for a few days, check valve on storage supply, etc..

65Gallon vessel is on wheels and moves around fairly well even when full of 58gallons of water.

It's setup on my patio now and the waste water goes to a lemon tree, lime tree and grapefruit tree. No, it's not exactly where it is shown in the picture.. that was just for leak testing so I needed it close to the garden spots. It's tucked away better now outside of direct sunlight. But it will move to a bodega off of my carport where my water heater is.... it doesn't get cold in the winter and stays reasonable in the summer. I'll have to devise something different for waste water at the point. Have ideas.

I'll pump the water from that end of the house to the other end where my tanks will live.... Just really lucky the way closets lined up, etc... that I just have a 12' section in the guest room where I have to hide something along the edge in the ceiling... (I'll make it look artsy)...

QuickWaterPurificationSetup.jpg
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Quick portable RO Water Setup with Storage - AquaticLife

If I have to add a 2nd storage tank to hold and foward the waste in the wintertime, has anyone succeeded in putting two of those Auto-off valves in series, so that if either the pure water or the waste water tank fills, the RO unit will shut down? I don't want either tank spilling, and I can't run the 1/4" waste line outside in the winter (we do get cold winter nights in the Sonoran Desert).
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Quick portable RO Water Setup with Storage - AquaticLife

I have 2 float valves running on my RO.
    One is for RO only and the other is for RO/DI.
    I just put a T in the line so they are not really in 'series ' but both come off same line .I guess that is in series for plumbing?
    I also have a T before the T for both storage vessels that I use to bleed off water after the unit has been idle under pressure .I have a in line TDS meter and it takes less then one quart to get the water you don't want flushed before I send it to the storage tanks .
    I actually open the valve on first T before I remove any water from the vessels with the float valves so it is easy peasy .
    Not many people understand when the unit is idle that it no longer uses he Osmotic properties and that all that usually goes to waste finds its way through the last stage [TFC].
    Less then one quart ,about 30 seconds for me and my TDS is where it should be ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?