AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: discus bloat

Registered Member

Default discus bloat

This started about a month ago. I have one discus that was getting very fat so I cut back on her food a bit but she kept getting fatter so I thought she may be full of eggs. As I said this has been going on for at least a month and now she is so fat I have never seen a discus that fat or bloated. She shows no signs of any illness as she always eats and is active. What could this be and what can I do for her. Thanks for any help

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: discus bloat

Can you post a photo? My first guess is to use epsom salts for constipation. If that doesn't work it may have an internal infection.

Registered Member

Please tell me how one does the Epson salt bath how much do u use and how long. Thank u

Real Name
    Brian

1 to 2 tsp per 10g

Registered Member

How long would u leave the discus in this I was looking to do a bath for a about 2 hours

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    How long would u leave the discus in this I was looking to do a bath for a about 2 hours
    Try 24 hours. The salt will not hurt the fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

Yeah, with that small amount it really doesn't matter how long you leave it in there as long as it's over night...

Registered Member

Well she was in the water with the Epson salt overnight but she is still the same, I wonder if a person was very gentle would pressing on the below help her or any other idea.

Registered Member

I meant belly she is starting to go down hill and I think one has to do something soon

Registered Member

Mine has the exact same issue and epsom salt doesn't work. What did you do eventually? thanks

You can try epsom at 1 tablespoon per 10 gals.

Are these fish passing feces... if they are its likely not a blockage.

Pictures would help but I suspect the fish in question have s tumor, enlarged organs or a bacterial infection.

AL
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thank you Al, my fish passing feces but much less than other fish. Even passing a little bit of feces rule out the blockage?

Bacterial infection shouldn't affect the overall health of the fish? Mine is very active and eating like a pig.

What treatment do you suggest after the epsom salt? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MazDiscus View Post
    Thank you Al, my fish passing feces but much less than other fish. Even passing a little bit of feces rule out the blockage?

Bacterial infection shouldn't affect the overall health of the fish? Mine is very active and eating like a pig.

What treatment do you suggest after the epsom salt? Thanks
    I really could use some pics here to help with the diagnosis. Generally the antibiotic of choice for something like if bacterial is Kanamycin or Oxytetracycline ...either med can be combined with Metronidazole as well.. but again, Pics really are helpful. I don't recommend just throwing meds at a fish blindly as its more dangerous sometimes than helpful.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I really could use some pics here to help with the diagnosis. Generally the antibiotic of choice for something like if bacterial is Kanamycin or Oxytetracycline ...either med can be combined with Metronidazole as well.. but again, Pics really are helpful. I don't recommend just throwing meds at a fish blindly as its more dangerous sometimes than helpful.

al
    IMG_1841.jpg

Here is a picture of the fish in a 10G hospital tank. I haven't started medication except the epsom salt.

I talked with Hans a few days back he told me to start with 1tbsp/10G epsom salt and temp at 92F and do 50% water change and redose every 24h. I've been doing that, but no improvement.

Someone on the facebook page told me to use the trio powder (combination of kanamycin, metro, nitrofurazone). I've ordered it and received it just now. Please let me know if I should start the treatment with antibiotics...?

Thanks again for helping.

Maziar

Hi Maziar,
    If you got this fish from Hans and hes helping you its probably best you run any treatments by him first...

I have never used "trio" powder...it sounds like a shotgun treatment.. the kanamycin and metro or oxytetracycline and metro combination is synergistic as the metro works on a small number of anaerobic bacterias as often found in gut infections. Im not sure what benefit the nitrofurazone will have above the kana or oxy. ..it may just be overkill.

Unfortunately I dont have a great amount of hope for this fish. The length of time this has been going on and how the swelling goes well up into the body cavity... its really likely there something systemic or a tumor. I wish I could help every sick fish we encounter here but theres some cases where its just not likely and Im aftaid this is one. It may be best if you euthanize this fish. IM SORRY.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast