AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: discus bloat

Registered Member

Default Re: discus bloat

Try using a syringe with the Epsom salt.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Maziar,
    If you got this fish from Hans and hes helping you its probably best you run any treatments by him first...

I have never used "trio" powder...it sounds like a shotgun treatment.. the kanamycin and metro or oxytetracycline and metro combination is synergistic as the metro works on a small number of anaerobic bacterias as often found in gut infections. Im not sure what benefit the nitrofurazone will have above the kana or oxy. ..it may just be overkill.

Unfortunately I dont have a great amount of hope for this fish. The length of time this has been going on and how the swelling goes well up into the body cavity... its really likely there something systemic or a tumor. I wish I could help every sick fish we encounter here but theres some cases where its just not likely and Im aftaid this is one. It may be best if you euthanize this fish. IM SORRY.

al
    Thank you Al. It is sad to see there is nothing we can do to save the fish. Another member on the forum had the same issue with his fish, the fish lived for a few months and it died eventually. He cut the fish open and found out that an enlarge organ was the issue. Probably I am dealing with the same issue here...

If it is not an infection and cannot transmit to other fish, I am thinking to move him to the main tank and let him live a few more months and euthanize him once he is in more critical condition (currently he is swimming, eating and even chasing other fish when it was in the main tank). This one is a few months old and I hate to see him live a very short life.

Best,
    Maziar

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Try using a syringe with the Epsom salt.

Cliff
    Like putting a tiny tube and inject directly to its stomach? I did that long time back with my flowerhorn, but this one is only 2.5 inch and not sure how I can reach to its stomach without hurting the fish.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MazDiscus View Post
    Like putting a tiny tube and inject directly to its stomach? I did that long time back with my flowerhorn, but this one is only 2.5 inch and not sure how I can reach to its stomach without hurting the fish.
    There are syringes used on baby birds. Were
    you feeding pellets?

Cliff

Registered Member

Try the metro and kanamycin for 10 days, with daily dosage with a 50% waterchange before each dose. I had a similar issue and it took time but had a complete recovery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12