AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Nitrates

Registered Member

Default Re: High Nitrates

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    Siphon 3 gallons from your aquarium into a 5 gallon bucket. Remove your HOB filtration and rinse off in the bucket, you can reuse the sponges after cleaning, in fact you want to to maintain your nitrification capability, that's why you don't rinse in tap water. If the water is heavily fouled you have your answer. Just like nitrates will tell you how much/often to change your water, how cloudy the water is tells you how often you need to clean your filter elements. You also need to siphon clean your substrate and see how much crud has accumulated there, you might be stunned.

You simply do not have enough fish to explain your nitrates, therefore you either
    1. Have a bad test
    2. Are adding too much crud aka overfeeding
    3. Not getting rid of the previously processed food, aka fish poop in the substrate and/or filter that bacteria will break down to nitrates and phosphates (unless you missed a deceased fish, absolutely wonderful nitrate source)

Biochemically bacteria "eat" detritus and generate nitrates and phosphates, in addition carbon metabolism generates organic acids and CO2, all of which drop pH so I also agree with more frequent less volume WC, understand that 25% every 12 hours removes the same nitrates as 50% every 24 with less pH fluctuation. Have you been following your pH changes just before and then 30-60 min after water changes? You definitely want to solve this because a group of 5 discus is better if you want them happy, unless your goal is a breeding pair.

Finally since we are discussing water quality, you also need to measure your carbonate hardness as kH measures your water's buffering capability aka ability to absorb acids without wide pH swings.
    I just tried rinsing my sponge and the water was so dirty it was unbelievable. Should I replace it or should I reuse it. It’s still a little dirty even after squeezing and rising it in the old aquarium water. I am planning on getting five discs in total but I am only getting two right now due to my budget. I will be getting three more next month. Thank you for the tips. I really do appreciate it.

Real Name
    Tom

Reuse it after rinsing. That sponge will last for years. You reuse it because most of your cycle is on that sponge. I use intake sponges on some of my filters. These grab all the dirt first and start breaking it down. These I rinse at every water change. This keeps your filter running longer in between changes. With discus you will need to do more water changes. Like 50% at least 3 times a week.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Reuse it after rinsing. That sponge will last for years. You reuse it because most of your cycle is on that sponge. I use intake sponges on some of my filters. These grab all the dirt first and start breaking it down. These I rinse at every water change. This keeps your filter running longer in between changes. With discus you will need to do more water changes. Like 50% at least 3 times a week.
    Great! Thanks for the helpful tips!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

I recall the tank being planted, do not recall comments in re substrate, and on a quick skim of the thread I did not see it. If you have substrate, you need to vacuum it and you might be just as amazed with what you pull out as what you found in the sponge.

If you are unfamiliar, I attached a site showing the python system, which alot of people like. I don't use it as gravity siphon is sufficient for sand. Also I am not endorsing the specific vendor, rather just wanted to show you a picture and video (second one) of how it works if you are unfamiliar. I personally try and support my LFS whenever possible otherwise at some point in the future your only vending option will be online. Since I also play with RC stuff, I have basically watched the death of almost every LHS over the last decade.

https://www.chewy.com/python-no-spil...oCZCkQAvD_BwE#

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12