ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What to do???????????HELP

Default What to do???????????HELP

Here's what I have going on, I want to grow-out 13 juvies sizes range from 3.5 to 4.5 maybe bigger. I was thinking could I finish growing them out in a 90 gallon tank, I have 7 in a 75 and 6 in a 65 gallon tank. I've been changing water between 2 and 3 times a week, thanks for looking Jim in Ohio.

Registered Member

Default Re: What to do???????????HELP

Also a huge factor is any extra stuff you have in there. Four inches of substrate, rocks, driftwood, big plants etc will displace a ton of water and drastically reduce the # of fish you should keep compared to a BB with only a small piece of driftwood with attached anubias as deco.

Registered Member

Here was my initial post that got deleted
    for some reason...."based on what i've read on here, you could keep 13 sub-adults in a 90 for a while. Maybe 10 six inchers indefinitely with SD best practices. How much water do you change out per WC? 80% WC 3x per week would make these guys much more comfortable and healthy than 10% 3x per week."

Registered Member

Do they have to remain as one group? If not why not put 1 in the 65 1 in the 90 and 11 would do nicely in the 90. I was thinking of the 1 fish for 10 gallons that some subscribe to. I a contrarian with 1 fish per 5 gallons. The more fish per gallon the more water changing necessary. You have read that some change water at up 50% per day. If anything I would increase the water changing on the 90 gallon. You did not mention what percent change your are doing 2 or 3 times per week. I am changing daily in an amount that equals 100% per week.

Well I held back one important issue, in the 90 now I have 8 adult discus ranging in size from 6.5 to 5.5"! When I change water I put the fish on there sides and replace with aged water, and all my tanks are BB. So if I put one of my pairs in a breeder tank and the other 6 in 65 gallon can I put 7 juvies in the 90 and the other 6 in the 75 with increased w/c's.

Real Name
    Willie

The answer is, of course, you can put the fish in a 90-gallon tank and have them grow up. I don't think you'll get the same size discus unless you up the water change date, but the fish are not going to die if they're cramped. It really comes down to how you're set up to do water changes. Is it a big deal to do one? If not, you can increase the water changes to 5 - 6 times weekly and raise good discus.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The answer is, of course, you can put the fish in a 90-gallon tank and have them grow up. I don't think you'll get the same size discus unless you up the water change date, but the fish are not going to die if they're cramped. It really comes down to how you're set up to do water changes. Is it a big deal to do one? If not, you can increase the water changes to 5 - 6 times weekly and raise good discus.

Willie
    Good to Know , thank you Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    Well I held back one important issue, in the 90 now I have 8 adult discus ranging in size from 6.5 to 5.5"! When I change water I put the fish on there sides and replace with aged water, and all my tanks are BB. So if I put one of my pairs in a breeder tank and the other 6 in 65 gallon can I put 7 juvies in the 90 and the other 6 in the 75 with increased w/c's.
    Is putting a fish in an unnatural - and potentially stressful - position for several minutes worth the extra few gallons of fresh water? I don't like the optics of it.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    Is putting a fish in an unnatural - and potentially stressful - position for several minutes worth the extra few gallons of fresh water? I don't like the optics of it.
    It's a pretty common thing to do with domestics.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    Hello Jim in Ohio if it were me I would put one of your adult pair in a breeder tank like you say and put the remaining adults in the 75gal and then I would split the juvies according to size in the 60 and 90gal and then since I think of fish tanks like potato chips and you can't have just one I would get a 125gal where you can eventually put all your juvies in once their sizes even out and that would leave your 65 and 90 open for your next breeding adventure

Jeanne in North Ridgeville