AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fish Tank Rack of 1" Iron Pipe and Live Edge Wood. Thoughts.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Fish Tank Rack of 1" Iron Pipe and Live Edge Wood. Thoughts.

Folks,

I've posted before about the mini rack system I'm constucting, which will look something like this:

4 x 20L + Sump.jpg

I showed how my tanks are all drilled on the ends for 1/2" supply from sump, 2 x 3/4" gravity to sump, 1/2" drain.

20LDerimmed4Bulkheads.jpg

I'm hiding the plumbing by having everything run down the ends hidden by the support legs of the stand. I will be using Hydrofarm HGTB Black Active Agua tubing in 1/2" and 3/4" sizes (even a small 1" section for joining the two sections of the dual chamber sump).

Hydrofarm Active Aqua halfinch black vinyl tubing.jpg

I'm considering constructing the stand out of black iron pipe and flanges and mesquite wood. I'd use components like this:

1inch iron pipe.jpg
    1inch iron floor flange.jpg

The tank should looks something like this, but with 4 shelves that have 20" of separation (the mesquite will be 2" thick). The bottom shelf will sit just 8" above the floor, the top shelf will only be used to support the lights and of course hide plumbing.

1inch iron pipe stand.jpg

I will actually build 2 of these shelving units set side by side (so yeah, the black vinyl lines will run between the tanks, but it should almost be completely unnoticeable.).

About 3 weeks ago, I built this desk for my wife out of mesquite and 1/2" black iron pipe and it has a neat look. (even had some tuquoise inlays in the wood, won't do that for the mini rack.) So we thought about live edge shelves for my mini-rack with beefier 1" black iron legs.

MesquiteBlackIronTripPodDesk.jpg

Obviously I will place soft cork between the tank glass and the shelf to absorb imperfections.

Any thoughts on the strength of 1" black iron pipe in 22" sections? Any real conserns with rust?
    (tanks and sumps will have glass lids)

note: a very similar thread is posted on plantedtank dot net, so you aren't seeing double. looking for input from both communities.

Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Fish Tank Rack of 1" Iron Pipe and Live Edge Wood. Thoughts.

Nice work Peter. I'll bet your wife loves that beautiful desk!

Real Name
    Peter

It was a fun project.. What's cool about a 3 leg design is it's completely forgiving in terms of level... it finds it's own.. whereas with 4 legs and more you have to level everything to prevent rocking. That was a delightful unintended consequence of the last minute change of heart, at the request of my wife, while building it. It maches a nearby coffee table and small bookshelf that are similar

I made an error in the description above.. the shelves would set 22" apart. 2" shelf width would give 24" difference between each aquarium base. Would also yield about 10" to put your hands in the tank, more than adequate.
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 05-30-2020 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added details
    Peter

learning never stops

It should work but it scares me because I don't know about structural engineering, If you understand that, that the 2" thick wood won't sink in the middle, it's a great and very beautiful idea. Also, will you have room to access the plumbing in the back of the tank if the black vinyl hose needs cleaning? I don't see how rust will be a problem. Coat the pipe with linseed oil when you clean it to keep the shiny look.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

the 20 gallon long tanks are 30" long. The unsupported span for each 2" x 13" wide by 36" long shelf would be about 32". Each of the tanks will only weigh 165lbs, glass, water and gravel. No fear of sag at all...

The tubing will run along each side (not down the back) and then directly under each shelf, so very accessible, yet hidden.
    Peter

learning never stops

You know what you are doing. I can't wait to see it finished with tanks on it. It will be beautiful.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

Well! CRUD! Went window shopping at lumber yards and plumbing outfitters to get final prices. My god, it's all soo expensive. Thousands of dollars. That's me doing all the building... (except cutting and threading the 1" pipe, I have to pay to have all 32 pieces cut and threaded from 10' pipe, because I don't own that kind of equipment). Anyway, it's thousands (3+) and that's just acquiring wood, pipe, nuts bolts, finish, floor flanges, etc...

Back to the drawing board. I hate the idea of reinfoced bakers racks, utility racks or 2X4 stands, but It's not looking possible to realize the original idea I had for this thread.
    MAN! Maybe I need to go back down to Mexico to acquire the materials!
    Peter

learning never stops

Registered Member

Sorry to hear! Looks great, tho.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova View Post
    Sorry to hear! Looks great, tho.

Yeah, I went re-inforced baker's rack. I have a thread on the prep and testing of it.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...owing-Concerns
    Peter

learning never stops

Registered Member

Why? What's going on in AZ these days? Try a building salvage yard, we have them all over. Much of it is brand new never been used and a good one will have everything you can think of. All building materials have gone up lately but 3 grand for the small amount of pipe and hardware you need is crazy. It shouldn't even be close to $300 for what you need. As far as having it all cut and threaded, stop, do it yourself. You can get a blade for a chop saw to cut metal pipe for $15, I have rented a pipe cutter and threader for $40 a day that does 1/2" to 4" pipe. If you found galvanized pipe cheap, clean it up and paint it. I have even used Plasti Dip on projects near tanks and it works great to protect the metal from rusting. They now have a clear coat for it and many colors can be found online. I'm a cabinetmaker by trade but like you, I mess around with all sorts of stuff. If I can help in anyway just let me know. God Bless
    NCH
    220 gal Planted Discus Tank, Large Sump and FX6,Tank Temp 86, Light Beamswork 6500K
    75 Gal Rainbow & Angel Planted Tank,FX4, Temp 80 , Light Finnex 24/7
    40 gal Acrylic Hex Electric Blue Acara Planted Tank, SunSun 303B with UV,Temp 80, Light Finnex 24/7