AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Uv / uvc liight sterilizers recommedations

Registered Member

Default Uv / uvc liight sterilizers recommedations

Hello every one I'm looking for recommendations on UV lights something that works well on pathogens etc. In Line and submergible with an internal filter/pump. like AAP terminator Vecton etc. Thx!
    Have you ever seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself

Registered Member

Default Re: Uv / uvc liight sterilizers recommedations

I don't have a canister filter but I use two hang on the back filters. I have terrible tap water that I can't even drink, I have to order it in. But that being said I use tap for the fish tank and it clouds up and gets horrible green water. So, I use the Green Killing Machine 9W but it comes in 9 or 18W and it's in the tank uses 1 but thick power cord to power the light and the pump. I let it run 24/7. Now some people will only let it run one week post clean and as needed. Really the only reason to shut it off is because the bulb will quit producing UV radiation after 6 months. However, you can get a replacement bulb for about $19.99 +tax for the 9W. As far as the inline UV, you will need to have a powerful canister filter because you will be using it as your power head and you will hook it up on the 'clean' side of the filter. It is also advised to get a 'pre-filter' inline but you put it on the 'clean' side to make sure the water is clean before going into the UV filter and keeping it from getting clogged. If you want 'plug and play' get intank and if you want something to do (an all day job) you go inline. I hope this helps....

Registered Member

ok thanks for the info yes definitely helps
    Have you ever seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself

Registered Member

Be careful about UV water sterilization. If used at water changes or once per week for few hours, it is ok. If used permanently, your fish lose all their native immunity so become really vulnerable. They need small load of the diseases around to keep their immunity.

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve read this before about not leaving on all the time. Not sure how true it is. I use the green killing machine 24w. I use in both of my bigger tanks. The GKM says to run when new for 2 weeks straight than 8hrs a day. I do that on the community tank. On my discus tank I run it 24/7 but I haven’t changed that bulb in a year so it’s not doing anything now. Still no problems in the tank. It was made for killing algae but it will kill any pathogens that go through it. I would use as it recomends. As to losing there immunity they don’t swim through the uv .

I used a small one once, but only to prevent algae. It's unwise to use one to prevent pathogens, although it does sound like a great idea on the surface.
    Mama Bear