AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: will 4 young discus hold out for a month untill new discus can be added ?

Registered Member

Default will 4 young discus hold out for a month untill new discus can be added ?

hello so i have a question to add, ive bought some discus a few weeks back, and the store owner didnt warn me about this so i only bought 4 ive read up on the problem and realised i simply dont have enough discus, but for now my tank is too small to add any new ones, but im buying alarger aquarium for this reason only issue is that i wont be getting it till next month (early juli) the dominant one is very aggressive against 2 others the 4th one doesnt seem too affected, will they be fine till early juli or is there something i need to do now urgently

Registered Member

Default Re: will 4 young discus hold out for a month untill new discus can be added ?

Quote Originally Posted by fotonikt View Post
    hello so i have a question to add, ive bought some discus a few weeks back, and the store owner didnt warn me about this so i only bought 4 ive read up on the problem and realised i simply dont have enough discus, but for now my tank is too small to add any new ones, but im buying alarger aquarium for this reason only issue is that i wont be getting it till next month (early juli) the dominant one is very aggressive against 2 others the 4th one doesnt seem too affected, will they be fine till early juli or is there something i need to do now urgently
    Discus are combative but they are also a schooling fish. I have read a number of times as a school of 5 or more they will be less agressive. I have 5 in a 30 gallon. Some are aggressive. Of the 5 two have paired and they get along fine with each other but not the other three. One other is left alone by all and it bothers no one. I understand the pair being aggressive because they are trying to spawn so they spend much time chasing others away from their cone. I have a large Alenquer that spends all of his time near a Heckel half his size and I do not know if the Heckel is male or female but the two are at least pals. An experiment I began today is to learn if a wave maker will serve to occupy the fish enough to where they become less combative. Maybe tomorrow I will move the pair to their own tank and then get 2 more from Kenny this month to add with the remaining 3 to get the school to five again. For me 5 large discus in the 30 gallon has always worked out for me. If you now have 4 fish and the tank is 40 gallons or larger why not go to 6 fish?
    Last edited by peewee1; 05-30-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: will 4 young discus hold out for a month untill new discus can be added ?

im going to get 2 more indeed to get 6 in total, but they are in a 30 gallon now too so i dont want to add another one or two just yet, im upgrading next month my question is just weather my discus will be fine till then (btw they are juveniles)

Real Name
    Frank

Mine got even more aggressive once they laid and became wrigglers. I had 6 (moved the 4 out to a 40g) in a 75g. The pair had the other 4 pinned in the opposite back corner of the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Discus are combative but they are also a schooling fish. I have read a number of times as a school of 5 or more they will be less agressive. I have 5 in a 30 gallon. Some are aggressive. Of the 5 two have paired and they get along fine with each other but not the other three. One other is left alone by all and it bothers no one. I understand the pair being aggressive because they are trying to spawn so they spend much time chasing others away from their cone. I have a large Alenquer that spends all of his time near a Heckel half his size and I do not know if the Heckel is male or female but the two are at least pals. An experiment I began today is to learn if a wave maker will serve to occupy the fish enough to where they become less combative. Maybe tomorrow I will move the pair to their own tank and then get 2 more from Kenny this month to add with the remaining 3 to get the school to five again. For me 5 large discus in the 30 gallon has always worked out for me. If you now have 4 fish and the tank is 40 gallons or larger why not go to 6 fish?