ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Breeding gl/glss

Registered Member

Default Breeding gl/glss

Hi guys hope everyone is keeping safe.
    so i have some GL/GLSS which look like females so how do i produce a male with Gold gene ? Do I just breed a normal Leopard with a female Golden to get males that carry the gene ?
    Thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: Breeding gl/glss

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard 57 View Post
    Hi guys hope everyone is keeping safe.
    so i have some GL/GLSS which look like females so how do i produce a male with Gold gene ? Do I just breed a normal Leopard with a female Golden to get males that carry the gene ?
    Thanks
    Not as simple as that. Do you want a gold color offspring? To inbreed or out crossing a strain,decide what you want them to be. This could take you a few generations to achieve your desired results. With each generation vhoose the best that look like what you want achieve then inbreed If you you want a gold (first time out crossing) suggest to get a male cross with a very gold female. In the second generation, choose the goldest female and cross with goldest male. Then repeat again generation after generation to realize the color that you want it to be. You might realize a few failures so you have to be ready to invest time to do this. I hope that I understood your question but for breeding any thing to achieve a new result that is how you do it.
    Last edited by peewee1; 05-31-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

There are other strains that carry the gold gene, not necessarily gold colored though. I have some gold based reds I got from Kenny. You might email or call him with your question. You'd still have to probably go several generations to isolate it. So, I'm wondering what your goal is. Is it the elusive "male GLSS" or something else? The gold gene is mixed into a lot of strains these days, I think.

Registered Member

I am asking, were golds derived from browns? Would it work for you if you crossed the GL with a brown male? Then inbreed choosing the best gold each time until you got the gold that you wanted? Or is that not the direction that you are headed in?

Real Name
    Steve

yes, golds were derived from browns.
    Here's an old thread I found using the search bar.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ight=gold+gene

I have several gold based fish and they do show the ash dusting the link mentions.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 05-31-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Registered Member

Steve...message sent.

Registered Member

The golden came from browns originally.
    The color of these brown were not golden but a buff color. Pictures of these browns
    can be seen in the Asian Discus book, according to the author these Discus were difficult to breed so they were cross with PigeonBloods and that's where the color of
    yellow or golden came in to play.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    The golden came from browns originally.
    The color of these brown were not golden but a buff color. Pictures of these browns
    can be seen in the Asian Discus book, according to the author these Discus were difficult to breed so they were cross with PigeonBloods and that's where the color of
    yellow or golden came in to play.

Cliff
    I have one of those browns, Cliff. It is a Red Alenquer who is golden brown or reddish tan. I can see where the gold comes from in the brown fish.