ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions?

Registered Member

Default Re: Suggestions?

Just and update, I started treating with Prazipro on Thursday based off of a local recommendation. My order arrive from Jehmco yesterday and I began treating with metronidazole 500mg/10 gallon. I’ve searched the forum and it seems like this combo can be used safely.

This morning the discus came up to the top of the tank and pecked a little at the food. Doubt the metronidazole could have done anything that quickly but either way I’ll take it.

I did also raise the temperature to 90 degrees.

I’ll keep everyone posted, thanks again.

Registered Member

Update, all fish are eating a things appear to be back to normal. I’ll continue to treat with metronidazole for a few more days, 10 total is the plan.

Thanks

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    My rule of thumb is that if a Discus picks up food and doesn't want to eat it it's hex. Metronidazole 500 mg per 10 gallons daily for 12 days with huge WC before re dosing. I've said these words so many times that I feel like a broken record.
    Although you know as well as I that dicus do not have teeth but rather they have grinders in their mouth. It is not uncommon for them to suck in a tidbit then grind it to smaller pieces then go back to eat it later. If they can find it.

10 days will work but I always go 12 days. It's a pain, but I think that 12 days does a better job over a longer time in the life of the fish. Keep in mind that these parasites will never go away forever. They are always present Discus in an immature stage or eggs that the treatment can get. Our goal in treating parasites is to knock them down so far that the fish's own own immune system can keep the survivors in check.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    10 days will work but I always go 12 days. It's a pain, but I think that 12 days does a better job over a longer time in the life of the fish. Keep in mind that these parasites will never go away forever. They are always present Discus in an immature stage or eggs that the treatment can get. Our goal in treating parasites is to knock them down so far that the fish's own own immune system can keep the survivors in check.
    I agree 100% with everything you just said there Liz.

I also just want to remind everyone that metronidazole is very light sensitive. You need to turn off the lights and keep out sunlight when your're treating or you're just wasting your time. I've said these words many times on here and also feel like a broken record.

On a side note Ringo, also kind of disappointing to hear Hans may have sold you Hex infested fish. If you had only had them a month, there's not much chance they got Hex just since you've had them. I'm just as big a fan of Hans as anybody, but there is no reason you or anyone else should have to treat for Hex 1 month after purchase.
    Last edited by smsimcik; 06-12-2020 at 07:06 AM.

Registered Member

So goes the forum recommendation...best to buy only from forum sponsors?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    So goes the forum recommendation...best to buy only from forum sponsors?
    Actually, Hans was long time sponsor here for many years. Lord knows I'm not trying to bash Hans. I've bought fish from him several times over the years. The fish in my avatar were from him. In his defense, I don't think Hans is knowingly selling infected fish. More likely they come to him that way from Germany. Getting shipped twice from Europe then again to a customer in the states is a lot of shipping stress for a discus to endure. They get their immune systems compromised and an infection like Hex goes from subclinical to clinical.

Real Name
    Mervin

A month would be enough time for a parasite to show, IMO. Keep in mind these young discus are in a whole knew environment. They have never been exposed substrate and plants. Like Liz mentioned, Hex is present in the fish and stress will worsen it to a point where it needs to be treated. A bare bottom is best for young discus until their immune system can handle more than they're used to.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Actually, Hans was long time sponsor here for many years. Lord knows I'm not trying to bash Hans. I've bought fish from him several times over the years. The fish in my avatar were from him. In his defense, I don't think Hans is knowingly selling infected fish. More likely they come to him that way from Germany. Getting shipped twice from Europe then again to a customer in the states is a lot of shipping stress for a discus to endure. They get their immune systems compromised and an infection like Hex goes from subclinical to clinical.
    There is a problem somewhere in the system. Be it poor quality control in Germany or at Hans.

Real Name
    Shan

I have had an experience similar to yours in the same time frame. Unfortunately for my it didn't work out, but I hope it's better for you.

How is the poop for the rest of the discus? Any sort of white at all? What do you feed them on a regular basis? KH of your water? How sure are you that your PH is stable?

Can someone chime in on the poop? I would like to see more pictures of their poop before giving further advice
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    I agree 100% with everything you just said there Liz.

I also just want to remind everyone that metronidazole is very light sensitive. You need to turn off the lights and keep out sunlight when your're treating or you're just wasting your time. I've said these words many times on here and also feel like a broken record.

On a side note Ringo, also kind of disappointing to hear Hans may have sold you Hex infested fish. If you had only had them a month, there's not much chance they got Hex just since you've had them. I'm just as big a fan of Hans as anybody, but there is no reason you or anyone else should have to treat for Hex 1 month after purchase.
    Dude where were you when I went through my hell?

jk. but on a serious note I had the same experience from hans. My 15 got sick and stopped eating a month after purchase, and I also used Metro at 500mg, but I do have sunlight coming into the room. Not direct sunlight but bright enough to make the room illuminated decently. Would this light have possibly halted the metro treatment in my batch?

Not trying to hijack the thread but since were on the subject figured it can help everyone
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Steve

Hey Shan,
    I did see your thread when you were having problems but it seemed like you were getting pretty good advice from everyone. I didn't think I had anything brilliant to offer.

I don't think the sunlight lighting a room is going to degrade the metro too much but it probably did shorten the time it was active. It's mostly aquarium lights or direct sunlight shining in the tank that degrades metro. I'm a veterinarian and whenever we use metronidazole in solution, we have to protect the syringe or iv bag from light. It's been tested and found that light will inactivate metronidazole within 2-3 hours after being exposed to direct light.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    There is a problem somewhere in the system. Be it poor quality control in Germany or at Hans.
    I agree 100%. I suspect poor quality control in Germany.

Real Name
    Tom

Well this isn’t the news I wanted to here! . Just got 8 2 1/2” discus from Hans tues. I bought 6 from him last year and they have been perfect. Main reason I went back. There is a third poster here who also had problems with Hans fish when she first got them. Medicated and all was well. Hope there still good. Mine are in a bare bottom tank by themselves. Hope mine stay healthy! I’m not one to use medicine and don’t have any. But seeing this may be a standard thing with Hans where can I find this metro? I’m in NY . Do pet stores sell it? Thanks

Order it from Jehmco. They are the best. It's a good med to have on hand anyway. The treatment is easy peasy on the fish. They never get stressed at all.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast