AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New member

Real Name
    Megan

Default Re: New member

P.S. just looked through your album, and WOWZA do you have some gorgeous fish!! (I have many of the same plants and Rams in my tanks, too) Very impressive tanks!

Real Name
    Tom

Thank you Megan! And good luck with your new discus. Will be waiting for pics.

Real Name
    Megan

Absolutely! I'll give them a chance to get settled and get some decent pics. I did lose my Pigeon Blood, he never revived from that cold water from shipping, it's too bad, he was a real beauty. The others seem to have touched it out and are acclimating well. They like the big Amazon Swords to hide in, I think it's comforting for stressed/new fish adjusting. They even ate a little beef heart tonight! I keep spending Tetras and Corycats, and such, in my QT tank as it helps keep the tank seasoned and cleaner, but I was happy to see the new guys come out and eat so soon! Have a great day, and happy fish keeping��

Real Name
    Megan

Sorry for the typos, my auto-correct is in a mood lately..��

Real Name
    Megan

Took a bit to get all 5 in one shot, but they're adjusting well, so far. We have a Ghost, Marlboro Red, Snakeskin, Colbalt, and a Blue Diamond. They're teeny juvies, 2" so I'll probably wait until they're at least 3" before I move them into the primary Discus tank. I'll just have to wait and see. Honestly I think their color is really decent for their age and having just been shipped across country. I didn't turn the lights on until this morning, so I finally got a really decent look at them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

The one top center has a lot of color for a 2 inch.

Real Name
    Megan

He sure does, I'm pretty impressed with these little guys. And I know iFISH has gotten a bad rap, but I think that should be reconsidered. Not only have they communicated with me through every step, their prices were great, the fish look fantastic, and they seem to actually care. I wanted to give the Pigeon Blood a chance to revive, so it was well past their 2 hour live arrival guarantee when I finally realized he wasn't going to revive. They issued me a refund or credit anyway. I even got a heartfelt email thanking me for trying to give the fish a chance instead of calling it right away. It was nobodies fault he died, Colorado had a cold snap and they got stuck on a truck for hours and hours. The heat pack never stood a chance. They were all cold on arrival. I know that was as frustrating for iFISH as it was for me. I've only communicated with Valerie, but she has been truly human and kind.
    I should also note they were packed well, too. Each fish in their own bag, double thick bagged, third bag over all of them,heat packs inside a sturdy Styrofoam box. I didn't take a picture of them in the box, but if anyone wants to see any other photos, I'm happy to show ya. So please consider them if you want to order fish online and want to keep the price down. They earned a good word from me. (Just remember to always always always QT your new Discus no matter where you get them from!)

Real Name
    Tom

I’m glad it’s working it for you and I hope for the best. For me they are a no go! To many better places to buy from. They are within an hour from my house. Still would rather get shipped from across the country.

Real Name
    Megan

Hey, I get it, we devote a massive amount of time and money into these fish. A seed of doubt is a powerful thing. And if you've already got trusted sources, well, no reason to change that up.
    I did feel it was important to share my experience with SD though, as it has been extremely positive.
    I mostly buy local, as I have a fantastic source, but for online buying, iFish has been my best experience thus far.
    I can't lie, the fish from SomethingPhishy were excellent, but the owner is just too crazy and mean. Too bad too, his Royal Purples are to die for lol

Real Name
    Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by MeganJK View Post
    Hey Marcus!
    I've been a lurker and now officially joined and caught this thread. I'm also in Lakewood CO. so I can tell you about some of the good local shops, and the ones to avoid. I'm getting 6 Discus from iFish later today, I've ordered Discus online before and been pretty lucky, but research and communication is key. Golden Fish, she always has amazing Discus and she's in Lakewood, her prices are great, too. And try out Fush Den for live black worms, my Discus go nuts for them! Well, all my fish, really��. Anyway, I've dealt with most of the local stores that sell Discus here in Colorado, feel free to ask away on that. As I said, I've also bought online too. I put an intro post in, but I keep Discus and other South American Cichlids, as well as breeding some bettas on the side. Like you, I've also learned a lot from this forum. I know you posted back in June but I'm curious if you eased back on the water changes and if you noticed that helped? I usually 25% at a time but I have heavily planted tanks for my Discus with a whole lot of "clean up crew" critters. They seem happy with smaller less frequent water changes and my water tests beautifully. (I also use Prime like it were water��) I use an RO/tap mixture because as you know Denver and surrounding areas have had a massive increase in water pH and hardness. You can get jugs of RO water that only cost a few cents to fill, once you've bought the jug. I'd also recommend Discus Trace (Seachem, amazing comapny) instead of salt, as Discus don't tolerate aquarium salt the way other fish may but Trace will give them their proper nutrients without the harm of salt. It's really helped ease my maintenance, all these little things. I can tell you all the additives I use, if you're interested, but I tend to swear by Seachem and a few other brands.
    Hope your Discus are doing well, and don't despair, this is a real trial and error deal, as I'm sure you're well aware now. I'm Megan, nice to meet you fellow Colorado Discus keeper!!
    M*
    I set up to make RO water but have not used it. My tap water is 7.8 - 8 PH once aged and the TDS is 137. I lost one discus I have 9 left and they seem to be fine. I still have them in the 40 breeder and I change 100% every two days. They're use to it now once I fill it back up all is well and they swim around happy. All I use is Seachem products as well, once two pair I will use the RO water. I seem to have a few runts in my group 4 are growing well, a blue diamond I have dwarfs all of them though. I am trying to wait till they all get around 4 inches before I move them into the 180.

Real Name
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusP View Post
    I set up to make RO water but have not used it. My tap water is 7.8 - 8 PH once aged and the TDS is 137. I lost one discus I have 9 left and they seem to be fine. I still have them in the 40 breeder and I change 100% every two days. They're use to it now once I fill it back up all is well and they swim around happy. All I use is Seachem products as well, once two pair I will use the RO water. I seem to have a few runts in my group 4 are growing well, a blue diamond I have dwarfs all of them though. I am trying to wait till they all get around 4 inches before I move them into the 180.
    That's amazing! Glad to hear they're doing so well!
    I must say, I am really impressed with your devotion to the 100% water changes!
    I tend to go smaller, but frequent changes but with my RO water, plants, clean up crew, and new UVC it works well for me. I've know discus folks that do all different types of water changes and are happy with the results. So I say, if it works, that's all that matters!
    I've had some juvies in my 55 QT tank for a couple months, Im waiting until they fet bigger before I move then into my 150, as well. Knowing me I'll get a new batch once that's done lol
    Have a great day and happy discus keeping!
    Meganq

Real Name
    Marcus

I bought the discus back in June and one is close to 5 inches for sure maybe larger. I was concerned about the water here as well but so far I have not really had any issues. I eventually want to have 18 in the 180. I wish I was better at taking photos of them they move fast and its very difficult to capture them. This was when I first got them took these on June 12, I hope how I placed them in the forum is alright. I will try my best or maybe get my daughter to take photos of how they look now.

Last edited by MarcusP; 12-14-2020 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added photos sorry if this is wrong please let me know

Real Name
    Marcus

Here is what the look like now. Not sure how most measure them is it just the body or do most include the tail. Also instead of painting the tank blue I just cut some cardboard and painted it blue for the sides and the back.

Figured it out searched the forums lol. "standard length" of my largest is 5 inches with the next three being 4 - 4 1/2 inches

Last edited by MarcusP; 12-16-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added info I found on forms

Real Name
    Tom

They have grown nicely and look good .
    Keep up the great care .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusP View Post
    I bought the discus back in June and one is close to 5 inches for sure maybe larger. I was concerned about the water here as well but so far I have not really had any issues. I eventually want to have 18 in the 180. I wish I was better at taking photos of them they move fast and its very difficult to capture them. This was when I first got them took these on June 12, I hope how I placed them in the forum is alright. I will try my best or maybe get my daughter to take photos of how they look now.

They look great!! And hey, if the water isn't causing issues, the I guess the old adage "if it ain't broke, dont fix it!" is most apropos.
    And I feel your pain on the photography, though I think yours look great, but it is certainly a new challenge trying to get good shots of my fish�� Especially my faster, non-Discus types, I'm lucky if I get a blur!
    Is your daughter into the fish, too? Only one of my kids has shown interest, my son, but I love it, getting to share the adventure, plus he's helped name some, which are always quite clever�� (He's 16 so it's always exciting when you can get one of our teens interested in anything we show them������)
    I'm going for the same type of numbers, 15 for my 150, seems like a good number for my main "show tank"
    Though I very much want a second 75+ gallon for a second 'show tank*... uhg my poor husband (I have 7 tanks now)
    Your updated pics look great, they've grown nicely, nice color!
    Looks like I'll be getting about 5 more juvies soon since my last batch just moved to the big tank and my QT tank just looks sad and empty without baby Discus in it!�� I may have a problem...��
    Great updates, thanks!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast