ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New member

Registered Member

Default Re: New member

Hey Tom, I took out the rocks and although they now have no place to hide, they seem happy except for one. My yellow melon isn't eating at all. I just bought Hikari Vibra Bites to see if that might coax him to eat something.

Interesting you mention German and Asian source because one shop gets them from Germany and the other is run by an Asian (does not mean he can't get his from Germany, but I'm assuming not). Curious to see these "pimples" you mention (in a pic, not my fish).

As for the water, so you're saying that since my discus are new, I should be changing the water daily? Does the constant messing with the aquarium every day frighten/stress them too much? They do tend to mass in a corner on one side when I clean the tank and change the water.

Real Name
    Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    Hey Tom, I took out the rocks and although they now have no place to hide, they seem happy except for one. My yellow melon isn't eating at all. I just bought Hikari Vibra Bites to see if that might coax him to eat something.

Interesting you mention German and Asian source because one shop gets them from Germany and the other is run by an Asian (does not mean he can't get his from Germany, but I'm assuming not). Curious to see these "pimples" you mention (in a pic, not my fish).

As for the water, so you're saying that since my discus are new, I should be changing the water daily? Does the constant messing with the aquarium every day frighten/stress them too much? They do tend to mass in a corner on one side when I clean the tank and change the water.
    When I had mine in my 40 breeder I was changing 99% of the water. They got use to it pretty fast so I wouldn't worry about stressing them out. Now that I have moved them to the 180G I think I should have waited a bit longer before I moved them. I plan on getting 6 more pretty soon so it will be back to massive water changes in the 40 breeder. We have a local store that sells them but I will order from the same place since I don't want to have an issue with where their from.

Real Name
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusP View Post
    I'm not sure it would be worth it in the long run to purchase the water from the stores. My water once aged is around 8.0Ph usually it may go up a point every other week but so far its been 8 since they started raising it. I am changing about 130 gallons every three days. The 180 gallon I have them in has a 40 gallon sump so basically 220g. I already have 6 tanks but I was thinking about building a plywood tank maybe 500+ gallons. I then thought about and I am sure my wife would end up on that show Snapped! I have a RO/DI system ready to rock just have not used it yet. That lady at Golden Fish said she used muriatic acid to get the PH to 7. I was going to do that but I'm concerned about the PH drop, I know it cannot drop a lot the fish will be harmed. Here is my aging station and the RO unit.

Julie is great, let her knownyour concerns about dropping the pH too fast, she'll certainly have some tips. She is an amazing resource. I know several great LPS owners but Julie knows Discus and she's the one who showed me to switch to RO slowly just to avoid such a situation and there may be other options as well to slowly bring the pH down. (There are so many health benefits to a lower pH with our Discus) but they don't have to be crazy expensive.
    Either way, the very best of luck to you!!!

Real Name
    Marcus

It's been a while but I figured I would do and update. I have 8 Discus left and two pairs out of the 8. I moved a Blue Diamond pair to my 40 gallon so wish me luck.

Real Name
    Tom

Lol it’s been awhile! Good to here yours are doing well. Love to see some pics! Lots happened with me. Had a cross contamination go through my tanks. Got past that and have changed everything around. No more gravel or substrate. I grow plants in pots now. Also picked up a 180 earlier in the year. Great size tank. My tanks and discus now.EC1C863C-7CF3-444F-85B1-ABE6C41F8145.jpg.8D07DAAB-A0F0-4ECD-A62C-6C0293F83F5B.jpg8D07DAAB-A0F0-4ECD-A62C-6C0293F83F5B.jpg

Real Name
    Marcus

Love the tanks they look amazing and your Discus look great!

Real Name
    Marcus

Well darn, I only moved them over three days ago and they already laid eggs. I was not prepared I figured it would take much longer. I heated up some RO water and put it in today. TDS is at 80 PH 7.4 so I know I have to get the TDS lower. I have to make some more water though so will drain and fill it with more in a day or so. I didn't even have any romantic music playing

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456