ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: inactive pairs please help

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Default inactive pairs please help

Hi everyone,
    I have a common discus tank and now the pairs start to form.
    Tipically, the pair starts to shake, cleaning the glass or stone, keeping away other discus.
    After observing them a couple days (maybe the laid the eggs but could not see) i have separated them in 30 g tank (200 ppm, nitrite 0).
    Observing them during 2-3 weeks but they are completely inactive, no cleaning the cone, no shaking. Nothing.
    I have one pair working well in the same water conditions
    What I have to do? Do I have to wait?
    This situation is the same with 2 pairs until today (as I said third pair working well). I change the water every second day 50%.
    What is your opinion?
    Does anybody have the same experience?
    Any opinion?
    Thank you in advance

Registered Member

Default Re: inactive pairs please help

This could be normal. I too had pair every day pecking and chasing other away. I moved the to 20 gallon tank, same water, same food and no activity. I think it best to be parient for a few weeks. Or a temperature increase or decrease. Change of food. Slight change in ph. All sometimes get them going.

Registered Member

Move the pair back to their original tank, most likely you broke up the spawning cycle. Let them bond together till they are a confirm pair.

Cliff

Registered Member

Try rearranging that which is in the breeding tank. Like I said I moved a suspected pair that was always pecking and chasing other fish away from a cone. After moving them to a tank of their own fpr about 10 days they seemed to loose interest. I moved the come from the right side of the tank to the center. There was a heater mounted horizontal near the bottom right. I reinstalled it vertical. Four days passed. Today I notice cleaning of the heater. Should eggs appear on the heater will fried eggs develop? Will the eggs hatch faster than if they were laid anywhere else in the tank?