ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus from lfs?

Registered Member

Default Discus from lfs?

So I've been wanting discus lately. I'm a young teen who got no job or anything. I am in the Chicago area, and looked up on Chicago Discus, but they just dont have the younger 2" discus that I am looking for, the larger ones are way out if my price range, and if I wanted to get 6 of them at the same time, that would be impossible for me. I only have $130 dollars, but my parents wont allow me to order from Hans or any other out of state breeder due to very expensive shipping. Some of my lfs have deals like 2 for 35 (2 - 2.5"), but I always hesitate whether to get them or not. If I decided to get them from one if my lfs, I will tell them to not open the bag when they arrive their so that they can go straight to my qt tank. Is it fine if I get them from my lfs?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus from lfs?

It's a gamble for sure, and when I've gambled with discus I've lost. It sounds like you're doing your homework, but if possible we always like to see what we're getting before we make the purchase. Just remember, cheap fish are not always inexpensive. If they are sick or have parasites you can spend a lot more money in the long run trying to nurse them.

No one can make the decision for you, and I don't want to discourage you from the hobby, but I would recommend reading and studying so you are prepared. Sorry, probably not much help here...

If possible, I would wait and save up until you find exactly what you're looking for.

Registered Member

You may have a good idea if you lfs will allow you to buy your fish upon arrival rather than them first placing the fish into one of their tanks. In doing so you would avoid the fish from getting contaminated by anything lurking in their tanks at least. I would suppose that you would be at the lfs on the day the fish arrived so that you could confirm that they are alive. You are a smart one so you did or would explain to the store manager why you want to buy right off the truck, as they say. What is the price per fish? I ask because you may want to save a few bucks for a bottle of Prime and some other medicine that the LFS recommends.
    Last edited by peewee1; 06-05-2020 at 12:16 AM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Its great to see that you want to get into discus, and you are on the right track wanting to start with a group of six at 2 inch in size. You have obviously done your homework, and are aware of all the risks with buying from your LFS. Let me tell you that its no fun dealing with sick fish. If your LFS can obtain the smaller fish for you, and not sell them to you out of his tank, you may do o.k....but do you know his source?

I suggest you try and find a hobbyist in your area that's breeding them, maybe even a member from here. Put your feelers out...you never know what may come back at you.

Good luck with finding what you want, but in the mean time keep reading up on here to give your group the best care possible. If all else fails keep saving up and buy the slightly larger discus from a reputable supplier.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Mervin

I think you'd be better off to buy them from a local breeder if you can, rather than a LPS.

Real Name
    Frank

Did you contact Chicago Discus or just look at their website? I have found them helpful. Explain your situation.
    The bigger the discus, the better - especially for beginners. But there is also budget considerations.
    How big a tank are you proposing to have?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I think you'd be better off to buy them from a local breeder if you can, rather than a LPS.
    It is possible that the LFS is buying from a local breeder. What Taco would be doing is taking the fish from the breeder/supplier and taking direct delivery before the LFS cycles the fish through its system. I think the danger is the introduction of the fish into its system and not from the breeder/wholesaler. Why would the lfs buy its stock from a bad source? Taco would probably get a better price per fish if he bought direct from the breeder and not have to pay the lfs markup. Mac's has 2in fish at on average of $40 each with shipping included. But Mac is in Washington State. The lfs 2 for $35 fits Taco's budget, no shipping costs, and if the lfs breeder/supplier is reputable and if Taco buys the fish still in the delivery process rather than allowing them to be placed in the lfs tanks then he should be okay. My question to you is, why would the lfs be buying bad fish for whomever they are buying them from? I think the problems begin when those fish are introduced into the lfs tank system. And remember that Herman Chan at Fairy Lake for years sold great fish, some to many of us including me, and I will remind that Fairy Late is indeed a lfs.

Taco, given your situation I think that the LFS is your best option. When I get fish (non Discus) from the LFS they always call me and I pick them up in the bags they arrived in. Even if the Discus you get are not the best quality you will get good experience raising them up.

I'm glad you've been reading here. We will love helping you as you get going with this project. Keep us posted and best of luck to you.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Taco, given your situation I think that the LFS is your best option. When I get fish (non Discus) from the LFS they always call me and I pick them up in the bags they arrived in. Even if the Discus you get are not the best quality you will get good experience raising them up.

I'm glad you've been reading here. We will love helping you as you get going with this project. Keep us posted and best of luck to you.
    Listen to Liz, Taco. I'm dang smart but Liz is smarter than me and with both agree on this one so that means you just got yourself some double smart advice. I only add that you buy a bottle of Prime and have some pocket money ready in the unlikely event that you need a medication at some point in the grow out. And if it were me I would buy a variety of colors than all of the same.
    Last edited by peewee1; 06-05-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Registered Member

Hey, Taco, what do your call yourself "Taco"? And don't give some lame story that because your family name is Bell, Time, or Tuesday because I am not buying that!

Real Name
    Frank

BTW, in the original post they stated that Chicago Discus was lfs to them.

Registered Member

Look for a local breeder. Check the fish clubs, they may have fish auctions. At our fish club there are a few Discus keepers and even a Discus book author. Most Discus hobbyist know their LFS as they need their supplies. I sell my Discus to LFS, even to Fairy Lake Discus. Last Discus to Fairy Lake were Wayne Ng's homebred.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 06-05-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Excellent suggestion, Cliff. In the Chicago area there must be a club. I bet that if he were to call Chicago Discus Miranda would point him to one. She might even help him out selling him some of her smaller stock. She has a kind heart. If he can make a connection with someone other than the LFS they would help him along. May be even give him a cycled filter if she has a spare.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Hey, my Chicago friend... give me a call and I will set you up with some discus. ... Miranda 312-622-0055
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    Hey, my Chicago friend... give me a call and I will set you up with some discus. ... Miranda 312-622-0055
    Looks like Taco came to the right place!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast