AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discus from lfs?

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus from lfs?

I just remembered that I am Taco's uncle. Uncle Burrito. Send everything to me and I will get it the lad, pronto.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Discus View Post
    Well, it's been about 2 weeks now since our friend Taco posted his concerns. I would have been glad to give him some small discus for him to learn how to keep discus. I also sent him a PM, but no reply. You can lead a horse to water, etc. etc. I try to encourage young budding aquarists any chance I get. I have donated fish to teachers who keep discus in their classrooms, and I always pay special attention to the visitors who bring their children with them to visit our shop. It is important to keep the hobby going! I am sure all the sponsors here on Simply Discus have done the same.
    Not to many people like you out there. Good on you! On the flip side there's always those that try and take advantage of peoples kindness.
    Taco may have been side tracked or told that he cannot have a tank now. Maybe his circumstances will change, but im sure he will appreciate peoples encouraging replies if he returns
    Last edited by two utes; 06-25-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

I just my post from four months ago. I dont get notifications from the forum. I appreciate all the advice and help you guys have provided to me. The reason I know all this stuff and preparations is because I have been in he hobby since I was five. I have foolishly bought discus at the age of 10, and they would only last me half a year. I have grown a lot in this hobby, and there is much more to come. I kept saltwater as well, but I never had the money to buy the proper items to maintain a red tank. So I went back to freshwater. I still havent gotten any discus yet, I got into high tech planted tanks during qt and I'm looking forward to getting discus in the display tank. I know it will be a challenge to keep the discus happy in a high tech planted aquarium, but I'm up for it. All I ever wanted to achieve was a beautiful planted discus tank. I still have some more questions about discus, but I'm not sure if I should I ask them in this forum or make a new forum.

Registered Member

I just saw your post two utes. I would really appreciate that!!! I didnt now my thread had so many replies to it. Thx everyone.

Registered Member

I've been reading all the posts. And I'm on mobile and I havent been on the forum lately. The thread doesnt send me notifications as I said earlier. I will right now at the moment and see all the messages.

Registered Member

I do have a big bottle of prime and I have medication from wattley discus such as acriflavin neutral and metronidazol, also some ich x. I was hoping to get levimasol, but I havent taken time to look for it, but I will.

Registered Member

Goodafternoom everyone, Miranda has been nice and kindful to give me some discus. Thank you to everyone who replied and were going to give me discus. I really did indeed mess up on my part by basically leaving you guys hanging. I could never appreciate how happy I am with people willing to give me discus under the circumstances I'm in. Once again, thankyou to everyone who helped on this forum.

Registered Member

Good job, Taco. You will be successful. If you can do it when you get the planted tank with fish I know I would enjoy seeing it if you did get photos posted.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    I couldnt agree more. The notion of maintining discus by a teenager with that kind of budget is silly and bound to fail. When I was a teenager I had a couple of oscars in a second hand 55 and they gave me years of joy
    I have been in the hobby for 10 years since I was five. I've been through all kinds if things in tha decade. I have learned a lot things from the mistakes I've made.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Teenagers can be incredibly creative so let's not sale Taco short. We need to encourage kids to be fish keepers otherwise fish keeping becomes a thing of the past.
    Pat
    they can say all they want, it will never discourage me. Fish keeping is my passion, hopefully one day I can take my fish keeping hobby into something bigger, and do the dame thing as u guys when I'm an adult.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It just bothers me that he made this post and has not been back since. He was looking for help, we offered him help and he's gone. It seems rude.
    I apologize liz, I'm in mobile, I never got a notification on a reply, so I thought no one answered, so I never came back to the thread. Today I was just curious and came to look at the thread and see all these replies. I assumed no one responded because I al also posted once in the planted tank forum, but no one replied. But it turns out the ptf is nothing like this forum

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Now I feel bad about pointing you to this thread. He sure did blow a great chance.
    Miranda was super nice that she still offered me discus when I called her today about what had happened. I'm super happy about the discus and that she was still willing to give me discus. I'm very grateful for her.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Good job, Taco. You will be successful. If you can do it when you get the planted tank with fish I know I would enjoy seeing it if you did get photos posted.
    Thank you very much. The planted tank is doing great, I just need some more carpering plants, and in a couple of week, i'll post a pic.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by TacoLoco7 View Post
    they can say all they want, it will never discourage me. Fish keeping is my passion, hopefully one day I can take my fish keeping hobby into something bigger, and do the dame thing as u guys when I'm an adult.
    Taco, something to think about would be to find a Community College and College that has a decent marine biology or fisheries school. You would thrive in that educational environment.

Registered Member

Taco, the discouraging posts are spot on. This is an expensive hobby filled with pitfalls and death. This is not a comment on your intelligence. . However, especially today, children do not like to take advice from experienced adults.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast