AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Different Sized Discus Fish Feeding Questions.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wyatt Greenberg

Default Different Sized Discus Fish Feeding Questions.

Hello,
    I currently own a 75-gallon tank with 6 discus fish and smaller cleanup crew type fish. I have been feeding my discus fish three times a day with Jack Wattley's Beefheart formula, Omega One Flakes, and Hakari Bloodworms. Unfortunately, my fish vary in size, and they range from 4 to 6 inches. Aggression hasn't been a problem during the 3 months I have kept them. I misclicked on a breeders website and bought one giant sized fish . I have been reading through Simply Discus and other online sources and saw many suggestions that you should feed fish, which are 4" to 5" inches up to 5 times a day to allow them to reach their maximum potential. I have also read that you should feed adult discus only twice a day. I change the water 40%, twice a week to ensure the water quality is always at a high standard. To allow my smaller Discus fish to reach their full potential, should I feed the whole tank more times a day than I am already feeding, or is three times a day sufficient?
    Thanks,
    Wyatt

Registered Member

Default Re: Different Sized Discus Fish Feeding Questions.

There may not be an exact answer for you, Wyatt. Size aside if the fish are older than 1 year you can feed them 2 or 3 times per day. But overfeeding causes a problem, as you well know. The other question is how much to feed them. . I used to think that when a fish took food in then spit it out that they did not like it. I have since learned that because discus have grinders in their jaws instead of teeth, they first mouth the food, spit it out, and then recapture it before swallowing. Everyone has noticed this. In so doing food particles fall to the bottom of the tank. The discus can blow water at foods resting on the bottom of the tank and then pick it up as it float upwards. After their main feeding, they will search for leftovers at the bottom of the tank and clean up the leftovers for up to an hour. Just prior to leaving for work I purposely feed my fish a pellet mix of 4 different foods knowing that they will feed on the food for up to an hour or so after I am gone. I have cory cats because they are so busy all over the tank that they stir up the food from the bottom then the current from the filter outflow wells the food up and someone will come along and eat it. I have also installed a wave maker. The current created by the wave maker serves to blast the food all over the tank. Everyone gets a shot at getting their fair share come chow time.
    Last edited by peewee1; 06-06-2020 at 01:02 AM.

Registered Member

I do not know if anyone really knows how much water change is correct. All agree that change is necessary, however. You are changing at 80% per week. I am changing a little each day amounting to 100% per week. At 100% my fish are happy, healthy, growing, and spawning. That is good enough for me. I

Quote Originally Posted by WyattECoyote View Post
    Hello,
    I currently own a 75-gallon tank with 6 discus fish and smaller cleanup crew type fish. I have been feeding my discus fish three times a day with Jack Wattley's Beefheart formula, Omega One Flakes, and Hakari Bloodworms. Unfortunately, my fish vary in size, and they range from 4 to 6 inches. Aggression hasn't been a problem during the 3 months I have kept them. I misclicked on a breeders website and bought one giant sized fish . I have been reading through Simply Discus and other online sources and saw many suggestions that you should feed fish, which are 4" to 5" inches up to 5 times a day to allow them to reach their maximum potential. I have also read that you should feed adult discus only twice a day. I change the water 40%, twice a week to ensure the water quality is always at a high standard. To allow my smaller Discus fish to reach their full potential, should I feed the whole tank more times a day than I am already feeding, or is three times a day sufficient?
    Thanks,
    Wyatt
    Hi Wyatt,
    I see its your first post, Welcome to SimplyDiscus! Theres a couple of things here. First could you give us some more info on your tank? Is this a bare bottom or substrate tank? and if substrate, sand or gravel? You have to be careful with substrate and over feeding. In general, feeding your fish at their current size 2-3 times a day will be ok as well as they are fed an appropriate amount of good quality food and provided good water changes and maintenance. What kind of Filtration?

Generally if the fish are 4-6 inches, they will be okay mixed and the smaller ones can hold their own unless there is an underlying health reasons for the size differences. The smaller ones will catch up the the bigger ones if they are healthy.

Can you post some pics of your tank and Fish?

Thanks,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-06-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wyatt Greenberg

Hello again,
    Thanks for your advice and support! I appreciate it! Anyways, I currently use a Fluval 405 canister filter that contains carbon, ammonia removing pads, nitrite removing pads, peat moss, and biological media. In my tank, I use a smooth, soft gravel substrate. We haven't had any fish get cut. We use gravel to give our Kuhli loaches, cory catfish, and other bottom dwellers an appropriate habitat. I vacuum the gravel once a week, usually towards the end. Is this enough, or should I be gravel vacuuming every time I change the water? In the picture, 4 out of 6 fish our pictured, with the largest one being yellow, and the second smallest one being the bluefish. Photo Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C_V...ew?usp=sharing

Registered Member

The bluefish is most likely a Neon Sapphire or Blue Diamond. They all look the same to me. To answer the question about how often,
    go here-------------------> http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archiv...p/t-98938.html

Real Name
    Tom

Your fish look fine . Your plant are fake? If so than I would gravel vac at least once a week. My tank has live plants so I vac 3 times a week or at every water change. I would move a minimum of 100% of your water weekly. I move 150% weekly in a 125 with 13 discus. The beef heart s very messy and will rot if not eaten. I feed freeze dried black worms.

Real Name
    Brendan

Hi Wyatt and welcome!

In my experience, both research and actual experience is that there will always be some variation in size due to pecking order, genes etc. In all my groups of discus I have purchased, there has always been a few monsters that eat and grow quickly and are stunning fish. Then there are some that grow,a bit slower but still nice, healthy looking fish(all kept in the same tank).
    If I can make a suggestion it would be to upgrade the frequency of your water changes to perhaps every second day, 40-50% being sufficient. Doing so you may see an increase in growth and overall health of your fish.

My 2 cents...hope that helps

Real Name
    Willie

The amount of water changes you make will have a far greater impact on discus growth than how often you feed. My young discus get 2, maybe 3, feedings daily. But they get water changes everyday to maximize growth.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.