ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Growing out in planted tank... again :P

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Growing out in planted tank... again :P

Well I for one am going to miss the sideways pics!! It was fun trying to turn my iPad to the right spot just before the the whole pic moved sideways again . Also now what’s Francis going to do?? Lol glad to see you figured it out. Discus look good. But bba is really growing strong! Do you have any SAE in the tank? They do eat it.

Tom, I needed that laugh after one hell of a work day

Is BBA the green bearded algae? (just my own informal label I use... and usually it's bright green but turned bluish brown since doing metro). I usually like that algae on my DW but I haven't been happy with it the past year (due to a number of new variables... but also due to lighting I've used for only the past year + my past year of being lazy about turning the damn lights off... yikes).

SAE mean siamese algae eaters? If so, I usually try to keep it only Amazon derived species but if the really are that good, I'm willing to give a try... but I'll then get rid of them once satisfied. I know many say don't mix them with discus but I don't mind trying anything once (...actually, I usually try anything more than once... with exception of only a few "bedroom good ideas" that I'd rather not )
    -Elliot

Latest pair are 2 brown based reds. 1 from my last purchase from Kenny (the male RR with blue face) and a female from Myrtle Beach Discus ("MBD"; I think also advertised as a RR and it started off "blah" but developed into a smooth, pretty red yet still developing... even developing hint of partial blue halo). Also, 2 little ones from Pat that are developing and then a Alenquer cross from MBD.

Unsure of others thoughts on here about MBD, but after several dealings with them, I wouldn't mind soliciting them as a sponsor if Al, moderators, and others deem "good to go". Al and/or mods, feel free to pm me on that one.

20220107_224313.jpg

20220107_224318.jpg

20220107_224834.jpg

20220107_224329.jpg

20220107_224744.jpg
    -Elliot

Question: Anyone ever use a "HISVICON Immersion Water Heater Bucket Heater 1500W"? Got one for aging barrel (which I keep outside and hard plumbed into house... but it's cooold this part of year) and seems to be incredible for 5 to 8 mins until it trips my breaker.

Did I get a bad egg or ...?
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Elliot! Yes BBA is the algae you’ve got growing on your wood. Yes SAE are Siamese algae eaters. They will eat the BBA. Get at least 2. I’ve got them in all my tanks. When buying the black line goes through the tail. A flying fox has the line stop at the beginning of the tail. A CAE Chinese has a suction cup mouth. All 3 are commonly sold as SAE. But only the one with the black line through the tail is an SAE . Funny I though I answered this last week! Guess I forgot to press reply .
    What’s up with the lighting on your tank? It’s red and now it’s blue? I like the blue better.
    As to your heater being it’s cold out it’s running at full power to keep the water warm so it’s life expectancy is being reduced. Probably why it’s tripping. Is your outside bucket insulated?

Tom,
    I might give them a try. And I'm glad you emphasized "black line through tail"! I never knew that

LOL on lights... it's actually backlit with a cheap RC multi-colored led light behind the tank, facing upwards. Then I put a frosted film over the back so "grabs onto" the lights. I love it.

Now the heater is not an aquarium heater. It's like this rapid, psycho hot device (with no control... just on or off). It warmed up a 5 gallon bucket of 62 degree water I had (left outside at night in high 40's for air temp) to 89 degrees in 4 minutes before tripping the breaker. I'm trying to get it to not trip breaker because then I can warm up my aging barrel (100 gallons) before each WC by throwing it in maybe an hour beforehand. Even if just getting the water to 75-77 degrees. Thoughts?

Also, I might use my 220v outlet with 220v generator cable extension cord. I just thought about that.
    -Elliot

Starting to rearrange. Soon hoping to do a partial (approx 40-70% scape modification by reducing current DW pieces and getting "the right" large, intricate, DW piece. Seems like when I have the right "base piece", fish are more active & less shy. Until then, I rearranged current pieces to allow more light to central, bottom plants.

Hey, any recommendations on scrubbing algae off front glass where there are scratches from previous owner of tank? (He had a damn alligator in it).
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

It’s hard to remove that algae. Try the mister clean dry erase bars with nothing in them. They can get into the cracks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Tom,
    I might give them a try. And I'm glad you emphasized "black line through tail"! I never knew that

LOL on lights... it's actually backlit with a cheap RC multi-colored led light behind the tank, facing upwards. Then I put a frosted film over the back so "grabs onto" the lights. I love it.

Now the heater is not an aquarium heater. It's like this rapid, psycho hot device (with no control... just on or off). It warmed up a 5 gallon bucket of 62 degree water I had (left outside at night in high 40's for air temp) to 89 degrees in 4 minutes before tripping the breaker. I'm trying to get it to not trip breaker because then I can warm up my aging barrel (100 gallons) before each WC by throwing it in maybe an hour beforehand. Even if just getting the water to 75-77 degrees. Thoughts?

Also, I might use my 220v outlet with 220v generator cable extension cord. I just thought about that.
    Not sure i understand, you're not going to plug a 120v device into a 220v outlet, are you? It will cook the heater. If the heater is tripping the breaker, it could be a few things. The heater is defective and drawing too much current. The circuit is too low power. Is it a 15 amp breaker? Try another outlet or look for a 20amp one. The breaker could be defective, again try another outlet [on a different breaker].

Jim, I never said I was smart! Didn't do it since I remembered something stupid I did in Iraq a long time ago on the same lines and realize all the damn Christmas lights weren't plugged in anymore so the breaker didn't trip. That little thing amazed the hell out of me. It was high 40s last night (cold for Charleston folks... I turned into a wuss when I moved South and I'm not ashamed!). Water was 61 in a 100 gallon, loose lid covered rubbermaid tub (filled 1 inch under brim). Water was 85 degrees in approx 1.5 hours.

I'm planning on getting a little kiddie pool and putting it in my wife garage. Then telling her while she's teaching at school that we have a new hot tub. I'm going to leave that damn thing plugged in for like 5 hours or more. Hell, I'll be in there drinking a cocktail when she gets home and hits the garage door opener only to see my fat *** loving it up in a nice redneck jacuzzi
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

I picture you having a few too many drinks, spilling booze into into pool, doing a water change and having to deal with a bunch of drunken discus.

LMAO... that may or may not be accurate (actually, bullseye)
    -Elliot

Just rearranged most of the wood tonight.... and... hate it. I never should've gotten rid of the huge, perfect trunk I had between around 2012 to 2017. I just haaaad to change it up (DOPE!).

.... so I will have to target next weekend or the following to go hunting for "The Wood ... Part II".

I'll take pics of current crappy arrangement maybe tomorrow
    -Elliot

DEFINITELY not going to be the layout for long. Replacing wood with new wood and different layout as soon as I find "The Piece" (large, long single piece).

However, I took away the "left corner hide out" which proved my assumption that they'd be more out and about... and dear God they are. "Holy crap... I can see them again!"

20220126_010459.jpg

20220126_010538.jpg

20220126_010641.jpg
    -Elliot

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Elliot, I like your scape
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast